Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>@ somewhereinga – it doesn’t matter what size your daughter is, it matters what size the bed is. Also depends on fabric. For example, if you’re using the Jersey sheets, they are stretchy, so you may be able to get the fitted sheet to cover the bed. That will not happen if you use cotton, so it won’t fit over the whole bed. Not quite, but almost like trying to get a double fitted sheet onto a queen size bed – it just doesn’t work.</p>

<p>yes we love ks in spite of her Yankee affection (and zm and the several other Yankee fans also, but zm is cancelled out by her very intelligent son :smiley: )</p>

<p>BU/BC we will take you as one of us, you paid your dues through the drought years and you probably remember the “Reverse the Curse” sign on Storrow Drive which sadly is no longer there.</p>

<p>Luckily H gave up his half-hearted like of the Yankees when he moved to New England from the sports wasteland which was the southwest.</p>

<p>:cool: :cool: :cool: (need an extra dude with the heat)</p>

<p>Great thread, my daughter graduated HS in '09 and took a gap year in England. She will be a freshman at Lafayette in the fall. I first came to know CC when looking at prep schools for her and stuck around for the college process. I have enjoyed reading many threads, have learned a lot.</p>

<p>Zooser, they must release IB scores in waves – S’s scores were up at 9 am. He passed everything and gets his diploma, and is I am especially thrilled with the As he got on both the Extended Essay and TOK papers. He wrote those during the darkest days of the migraines and stress and I know the toll it took on him. </p>

<p>He still refuses to feed the College Board $$ to get his AP scores.</p>

<p>OK, now I am motivated to go get bed toppers, but it is 102 outside and my sinuses are in massive revolt. I just want to sleep!</p>

<p>Congrats on the great grades on the papers!</p>

<p>I won’t pay the College Board either. I don’t plan on doing dorm shopping any time soon. Our car said it was 99 in the shade, but the minute I drove it a few minutes to the bank it said 104!</p>

<p>SHe got the IB diploma! Don’t know the scores yet, but she got it and is happy.</p>

<p>Congratulations to your S, CD! Well done! :)</p>

<p>Welcome, Bonnie. There’s a poster on this thread whose is a Laf alum and her son is a senior at Laf. Look for Lafalum84. </p>

<p>We’re not payin’ for AP scores, either. S and D were mildly curious until they heard we’d need to dig out their student numbers. At that point they lost interest. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>And congrats to zoosergirl, too! Woo hoo! :)</p>

<p>Congratulations to CountingDown’s S and zoosermom’s D on getting the IB diploma! All of that hard work paid off!</p>

<p>I won’t be paying for AP scores either. I don’t really care either. According to the people on the AP Test Prep forum, Maryland probably won’t get their scores until next week.</p>

<p>Welcome to veewhitty, somewheringa, BonnieNewJersey, and Pengo. Thanks for joining us. The parents and students here are fabulous. </p>

<p>Wishing all the best to those traveling this week and to those living in the heat. Stay cool! We have been having power outages off and on today. Hmmm. Too many air conditioners running? It’s about 88 degrees here today, which is pretty hot for us.</p>

<p>Youdon’tsay - Big {{HUGS}} coming your way. I am so sorry. When our daughter started college my husband and I had to alternate time at move in/orientation time. We actually crossed paths in the air somewhere over Michigan. I, too, had to be back for the beginning of the school year (by contract) and was so sad to miss the parent events. :frowning: BTW, when I asked her about this later, she said it was no big deal. Several kids had one or no parent there.</p>

<p>

I just found out about those. They’re made by Purex, I think. They look like just the thing for college kids - detergent, softener, and anti-static sheet all in one. And YAY for props crew! </p>

<p>

Thanks for the tips AND the laugh. I know the University Laundry will not hire our dear son…</p>

<p>Re: baseball – I love the Twins, but really love any good game. My favorite team? It’s the one our son is playing on. He has a game tonight and then his play-offs begin. It won’t be long now and I will be watching his last game… It’s bittersweet, but it’s been a great experience. From t-ball to pitching machine, from coach pitch to kid pitch, from rubber spikes to metal ones, from 60 feet to 90 feet, from pitcher to shortstop (never a catcher), from great strikeouts (when pitching) to great hits and great catches and double-plays (only one triple-play in his whole career), from stealing bases (even home a handful of times) to tagging the guy out, my memories of our son playing baseball are some of my favorite of all. Pass the Kleenex, please.</p>

<p>Congratulations, CountingDown, to you and your son on those great scores! I hope you’re feeling better soon.</p>

<p>Congratulations, zoosermom, to you and your daughter on receiving the IB diploma! Great news!</p>

<p>Re: AP and IB scores – Our son’s school only has AP, and the score report has not arrived in the mail and he has not even mentioned it. He is definitely on vacation!</p>

<p>Wishing all a wonderful afternoon and evening.</p>

<p>:cool: :cool: For jackief and all in the heat: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:</p>

<p>congrats to the IB diploma holders.</p>

<p>I’ll mention one more baseball related thing- when our virtual bus comes to the cape, we can all take in a Cape Cod League game. These are college kids living with host families and working in the communities and playing in this league with real wooden bats. The games are free and the settings are awesome. Only thing is it can interfere with beach time and the season ends in July so doesn’t last the whole summer. I’m sure you can all find stars on your teams who spent time in the CCBL.</p>

<p>^ jackief - I can’t wait. We loved the Cape League games. Our dear son endured a day trip to P-town for whale watching with the promise of a game that evening. He still wears his Cotuit Kettleers cap. :)</p>

<p>:cool: :cool:</p>

<p>Awesome that you got to enjoy a game BT! And for the others, the name of that team comes from the “kettle ponds” which sprinkle the cape landscape.</p>

<p>CONGRATS to zoosergirl and CountingDownson on their IB Diplomas! How wonderful for them both! :)</p>

<p>Welcome Bonnie! Glad to have you join in the fun!</p>

<p>Jackie: Thanks and right back at ya! :slight_smile: I think we’ve all been through droughts with “our” teams…And like BT, I also just like a good baseball game. And the Cap Cod League sounds awesome.</p>

<p>BUandBC: I went to college even further back than you! Good times! ;)</p>

<p>BT: Thanks for sharing your baseball memories. Extra virtual kleenex and {{{HUGS}}} here if you need them. And wishing the best to BlessedSon in his final baseball games. I hear Vandy has a great baseball team. :)</p>

<p>Sending some extra :cool: :cool: to all.</p>

<p>Thanks for the congratulations! We’re pretty excited. She’s going in with 27 credits. Not too shabby.</p>

<p>

Awwww. It wasn’t that long ago that he was your Precious Baby King! I’m so glad you have the wonderful memories. There’s something so wonderful and timeless about baseball.</p>

<p>I am having so much fun reading about how everyone is as obsessed as I am with this bedding stuff. LOL I should be working, not reading!</p>

<p>Anyway - regarding the twin x-long - my feeling is that the fitted stuff should definitely be labeled x-long. There is no way a 75 inch sheet will stretch to 80 inches. Foam topper I got in twin size to be covered with an x-long fitted mattress pad. Son is 5’8 or 9" so I am sure that if the foam topper is 2.5 inches off on either end or 5" off at the foot of the bed, he will not notice. He pretty much sleeps curled up anyway.</p>

<p>I also didn’t want to be limited to the comforters and blankets that are “x-long.” I didn’t see anything I liked in those sizes and the kids don’t make the beds anyway so it’s not like you need the length to properly cover those pillows neatly. LOL </p>

<p>He hasn’t slept in a twin sized bed in 10 years - what I’m afraid of is that he’ll fall off the bed! Cots at camp are one thing - they’re close to the ground, but these lofted beds??? Or a top bunk (I hope he doesn’t go for that . . .) :-/</p>

<p>YDS, I’m sorry you can’t stay with your ds through all of orientation, but you will be there for the important part – move in and meeting roommate and hopefully roommate’s parents. I know your ds understands. {{Hugs}} to you.</p>

<p>I love all the baseball rivalry stories. Aaahh… summer. :)</p>

<p>

You could get him a guard rail for the bed to keep him from falling out! (Kidding, kidding)</p>

<p>Another baseball fan here - and someone who loves the Cape Cod league. Some of my fondest memories are of family trips back to the cape and evenings sitting on the grassy hill in RF at the Chatham field… College summer baseball league are all over the US and offer a great entertainment value. Games are usually $10 or less person and the skill level is simply amazing. The Cape is the top league - but others are very much worth watching.</p>

<p>DS is one of those college kids playing baseball. He’s playing in the West Coast League this summer up in Oregon. He’d love to make it to the Cape next summer but the odds are very long. Regardless, he is having a blast and learning a great deal this summer.</p>

<p>Congrats to the amazing kids who have earned IB diplomas – a big accomplishment to be very proud of!</p>