Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Oh, my goodness. I checked in at 1:30 am and didn’t see anything. I slept late, and look what I missed! </p>

<p>Here is the list of colleges I have. Please give me any additions! Right now, I will look through all the posts so far and get a new list up shortly. Good to see new folks!</p>

<p>1sokkermom’s D – University of Scranton
1sttimemom’s D – George Washington
2education’s S – University of Virginia
2girls4me’s D – Swarthmore
AL34’s S – University of Alabama
alexahet – LSU
ALF’s S – Hampshire College
aliceinw’s S - Carleton
anothercrazymom’s S – William & Mary
applicannot - Stanford
archiemom’s S - Villanova
astromom’s D – Brown
austinmtmom’s D – Coastal Carolina
BCandBU82’s S – University of North Carolina
Bclintonk’s D – Haverford
BengalMom’s S – Pomona College
BerneseMtn’s S – University of Illinois – UrbanaChampaign
BlessedTwice’s S – Vanderbilt
boiledegg’s D - Kenyon
Booklady’s S – University of Delaware
Bubbe’s GS - Harvard
CaliforniaDancer – Carnegie Mellon
Cecil’s S – Macalester
coskat’s D – University of Buffalo
CountingDown’s S - Tufts
curiousmother’s D – University of Virginia
donnagal’s S – SUNY Albany
DougBetsy’s S – Wake Forest
ELY’s S – University of Maryland
esobay’s S – University of California – Santa Barbara
FindAPlace’s S – Northwestern
FLVADAD’s D - Villanova
gotaplay2’s D – Cal Poly Pomona
GSharpM7’s D - Princeton
GTalum’s D – Williams
hopeful12345’s D - Princeton
IloveLA’s D – Cal Berkeley
intouch1520’s D - Emerson
jackief’s D – University of Chicago
jc40’s D – University of Virginia
journey919’s D - Middlebury
Keilexandra – Swarthmore
kindredspirit’s D – University of Pennsylvania
KYParent’s D – High Point University
Lafalum84’s D – Elon
L.A.Parent’s S - Brown
learninginprog’s S - Yale
LetsGoMets’s S – Columbia
lilmom’s S – Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
limabeans’ S – Washington University in St. Louis
LIMOMOF2’s D - Harvard
MaineLonghorn’s S – University of Texas at Austin
mantori.suzuki’s S – Ole Miss
mathmom’s S - Tufts
mdemvizi – Ithaca
mimimomx3’s D - Rhodes
missemily516’s D – University of Redlands
mom2sons’ S2 - Pitzer
mommuisc’s S – University of Cincinnati
momof2inma’s D - Tufts
momof2men’s S - Brown
momof3sons’ S2 – Swarthmore
momof3sons’ S3 - Northwestern
momonthehill’s D – Boston University
motherbear332’s S – University of Chicago
mountaingoat’s D - Harvard
mpabon’s D – Loyola Chicago
MuppetMom’s D – Rice
neumes’ S - Carleton
nightchef’s S - Goucher
PAO2008’s D – Washington University in St. Louis
PaperChaserPop’s S - Caltech
parent56’s S – University of Alabama Birmingham
PinotNoir’s S – University of Rochester
pixeljig’s S - University of Southern California
pmartin57’s D - Carleton
psychmom’s D – Vassar
pugmadkate’s S – Northeastern
qialah’s D – Oberlin
Queen’s Mom’s D – Bryn Mawr
RobD’s D – University of Alabama
robinsuesanders’ S – St. Olaf
rocket6louise – Smith
runnersmom’s niece - Emerson
sacchi’s S – Washington University in St. Louis
scualum’s D – Scripps
sDonCC’s S - Grinnell
sewemma’s S – Wesleyan
shillyshally’s D – University of Virginia
showmom858’s D – Marymount Manhattan
skier29’s S – Colorado College
SLUMOM’s S – Wheaton (MA)
SWTCAT’s D – University of Texas at Austin
teenage_cliche - Smith
vballmom’s S – University of Redlands
vicariousparent’s D – Yale
WhirledPeas2u’s D – University of Central Florida
Youdon’tsay’s S - Carleton
zoosermom’s D – University of Delaware</p>

<p>It’s nice to feel like I stand a chance of keeping up with this thread. It’s kind of intimidating to join in a thread with a bzillion posts. The fresh start is appreciated.</p>

<p>D will be going off to Dartmouth in September. She’s the middle child. S1 has a year left at Richmond and S2 is a HS '13.</p>

<p>May God bless our children as they go forward.</p>

<p>welcome standrews!!</p>

<p>Good morning everyone! Happy New Thread and Happy Canada Day!</p>

<p>My only child, son, will be attending Macalester in the fall.</p>

<p>I found CC when he was applying to boarding school (which he attended) so I have been an empty nester for awhile - well, except for hubby and terrorist dog. I am so thankful to have found a group of wonderful supportive people on this site. I did find with my only away at boarding school that I missed the connection with other moms (and dads). Looking forward to sharing the next chapter with y’all!</p>

<p>Thanks for starting the thread, Jackie!</p>

<p>We live in southern Maine and have 3 children. DH and I are both structural engineers and work out of our home together. </p>

<p>S1 is heading off to the University of Texas at Austin in the fall. It’s the same school that my grandmother, parents, uncle, sister, and I all attended. He applied to 11 schools, though, and I purposely tried to steer him elsewhere so he would feel no pressure to attend UT. He’s very excited about going there, though! He is starting out in Biomedical Engineering - we’ll see what happens! He’s also a distance runner and will probably run for a club while he’s there.</p>

<p>S2 will be a HS sophomore. Smart as a whip, he won the school science fair and one of three medals at the state science fair, but came close to failing geometry. A friend of ours described him as, “A poet being raised by two engineers,” which I think is accurate.</p>

<p>D1 will be in 7th grade. She is my little sweetheart, a real mother’s helper. She excels in jazz piano and was in the honors jazz festival band this year. She whips us all into shape!</p>

<p>OMG … an hour and a half and FIVE pages!!? Are we excited or what!! LOL</p>

<p>I mostly lurk, but have read most of the 2010 thread.</p>

<p>I have a 2012 D at Dartmouth. (joined CC at the end of her search and got hooked)</p>

<p>I have a 2014 S heading for UCSB. I used to post more about DS in the slacker son threads as he had a rough first 2 years of HS. But we changed schools and he … well not exactly flourished, but came back to even keel. </p>

<p>I’ve been SAH for 3 years except for a brief contract job and DH (of 32 years) says that he told his boss he was leaving at the end of the project he is on or mid July. So we will be empty nesters that are flying the coop. We hope to travel a lot.</p>

<p>now I have to go read the other pages.</p>

<p>OK, here’s the updated list. I’ll post again tonight. Please note that we are leaving on vacation tomorrow. I’ll be able to keep track of additions, but won’t have the actual list to update. So you can expect a new list around July 18, lol.</p>

<p>1sokkermom’s D – University of Scranton
1sttimemom’s D – George Washington
2education’s S – University of Virginia
2girls4me’s D – Swarthmore
AL34’s S – University of Alabama
alexahet – LSU
ALF’s S – Hampshire College
aliceinw’s S - Carleton
anothercrazymom’s S – William & Mary
applicannot - Stanford
archiemom’s S - Villanova
astromom’s D – Brown
austinmtmom’s D – Coastal Carolina
BCandBU82’s S – University of North Carolina
Bclintonk’s D – Haverford
BengalMom’s S – Pomona College
BerneseMtn’s S – University of Illinois – UrbanaChampaign
BlessedTwice’s S – Vanderbilt
boiledegg’s D - Kenyon
Booklady’s S – University of Delaware
Bubbe’s GS - Harvard
CaliforniaDancer – Carnegie Mellon
Cecil’s S – Macalester
coskat’s D – University of Buffalo
CountingDown’s S - Tufts
curiousmother’s D – University of Virginia
donnagal’s S – SUNY Albany
DougBetsy’s S – Wake Forest
ELY’s S – University of Maryland
esobay’s S – University of California – Santa Barbara
FindAPlace’s S – Northwestern
FLVADAD’s D - Villanova
gotaplay2’s D – Cal Poly Pomona
GSharpM7’s D - Princeton
GTalum’s D – Williams
hopeful12345’s D - Princeton
IloveLA’s D – Cal Berkeley
intouch1520’s D - Emerson
jackief’s D – University of Chicago
jc40’s D – University of Virginia
journey919’s D – Middlebury
Kajon’s S - Carthage
Keilexandra – Swarthmore
kindredspirit’s D – University of Pennsylvania
KYParent’s D – High Point University
Lafalum84’s D – Elon
L.A.Parent’s S - Brown
learninginprog’s S - Yale
LetsGoMets’s S – Columbia
lilmom’s S – Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
limabeans’ S – Washington University in St. Louis
LIMOMOF2’s D – Harvard
littlefalls’ S – University of Michigan
MaineLonghorn’s S – University of Texas at Austin
mantori.suzuki’s S – Ole Miss
mathmom’s S - Tufts
mdemvizi – Ithaca
mimimomx3’s D - Rhodes
missemily516’s D – University of Redlands
mom2sons’ S2 - Pitzer
mommuisc’s S – University of Cincinnati
momof2inma’s D - Tufts
momof2men’s S - Brown
momof3sons’ S2 – Swarthmore
momof3sons’ S3 - Northwestern
momonthehill’s D – Boston University
motherbear332’s S – University of Chicago
mountaingoat’s D - Harvard
mpabon’s D – Loyola Chicago
my2sunz’s S - Yale
MuppetMom’s D – Rice
neumes’ S - Carleton
nightchef’s S - Goucher
PAO2008’s D – Washington University in St. Louis
PaperChaserPop’s S - Caltech
parent56’s S – University of Alabama Birmingham
PinotNoir’s S – University of Rochester
pixeljig’s S - University of Southern California
pmartin57’s D - Carleton
psychmom’s D – Vassar
pugmadkate’s S – Northeastern
qialah’s D – Oberlin
Queen’s Mom’s D – Bryn Mawr
RobD’s D – University of Alabama
robinsuesanders’ S – St. Olaf
rocket6louise – Smith
runnersmom’s niece - Emerson
sacchi’s S – Washington University in St. Louis
scualum’s D – Scripps
sDonCC’s S - Grinnell
sewemma’s S – Wesleyan
shillyshally’s D – University of Virginia
showmom858’s D – Marymount Manhattan
skier29’s S – Colorado College
SLUMOM’s S – Wheaton (MA)
standrews’ D - Dartmouth
SWTCAT’s D – University of Texas at Austin
teenage_cliche - Smith
vballmom’s S – University of Redlands
vicariousparent’s D – Yale
WhirledPeas2u’s D – University of Central Florida
Youdon’tsay’s S - Carleton
zoosermom’s D – University of Delaware</p>

<p>Oh, I meant to add that I agree with RobD’s last post on the Class of 2010 thread. Occasionally, I’ll wish that DS could be more like the kids on CC, lol, before I catch myself! He has his own unique gifts that I’m thankful for, though.</p>

<p>I didn’t think I was getting a very late start, but I popped in here to find that you all are already on page 5!!! Wow! Keep those mimosas coming! I am back on page 2 but will catch up shortly, and just wanted to wish everyone a quick Good Morning and happy July! (Already?!??) Have a great day, all!</p>

<p>Good Morning All!</p>

<p>As my name suggests, I am the mom of 2 in MA. My D will be a freshman at Tufts this fall majoring in engineering (chemical ??). My S will be a high school junior, so we are about to embark on this process all over again.</p>

<p>I stumbled onto CC while doing internet searches for college decision dates. I found the previous thread when you guys where well into the SS Indecision cruise (we were stowaways ;)). I felt a little weird jumping into your thread, but you were all so welcoming – Thank you. BT even did an envelope for my D :)</p>

<p>Hello everyone! Great to be part of a new and vibrant thread. My S1 is going to Caltech this fall to study Biology/Genetics.</p>

<p>S1 completed the freshman placement tests and found the calc test difficult. The good news is - to his pleasant surprise - the physics test was much easier than expected.</p>

<p>^^^ Yes, BT and KS are “the keepers of the thread” :smiley: What would we do without them to keep the rest of us up-to-date?</p>

<p>Hi everyone,
I have been reading for awhile, but am finally joining in.
My name is Sailorette, I wanted SailorMom, but that was taken. I am about to send my second child, and oldest daughter off to college. She is going to Wellesley, and is very much looking forward to it, I am not so sure. </p>

<p>Husband and I both work in the medical field. We live in the suburbs of NYC with our four children:</p>

<p>S1-age 20, Going into his junior year at my alma mater, commuting into the city for an internship for the summer. He wasn’t home last summer, so it is taken a bit of an an adjustment to having four kids at home again!</p>

<p>D1- age 18, my 2010 grad, starting at Wellesley in the fall. She is my creative child, a dancer and a singer. She plans to major in history and anthropology, or English, or sociology or… She has many interests! She hopes that law school is in her future and is looking forward to heading off to school in the fall. </p>

<p>S2-age 16, going into his junior year of high school, so I get to start the college start all over again! He is interested in a completely different school than the first two of course, so it should be quite an adventure finding his school. </p>

<p>D2-age 12, my baby! She is going into eighth grade, and I am busy planning her bat mitzvah. Last spring, she told us she wants to go to boarding school for high school, so I may be an empty nester must sooner than I planned :(</p>

<p>So I had four kids in seven years, and no one told me that meant I would have a never ending college planning journey!</p>

<p>Nice to “meet” you all!</p>

<p>Welcome, Sailorette! I hope your daughter is very happy at Wellesley. My best friend told me recently that she wishes she’d gone there instead of the school she attended.</p>

<p>You do have your hands full! Your youngest daughter is the same age as mine! It would be hard for me to “let her go” in high school.</p>

<p>Sorry, I didn’t do my intro…
I am BengalMom, and I am a CC addict. :slight_smile:
The name came from my kids’ high school mascot. When I first joined here, little did I know that I would become entrenched in the CC family, and that choosing the name I did would give away my identity very quickly. But I really don’t mind. </p>

<p>My D just graduated from WashU in Neuroscience (summa cum laude – I am SO proud of my “little girl”!!). This summer she is doing a cancer research internship, and still has no idea what she will be doing this fall. She would like to do research for a couple of years before entering a PhD program (or possibly MD/PhD).</p>

<p>My son will be a freshman at Pomona College in August (just saying that still gives me chills – we are so proud that he will be attending such an amazing school!). He will major in Biology and would like to do something in the health field, orthopedic PA perhaps.</p>

<p>Welcome all to the NEW Class of 2014 (and beyond) thread! Woo hoo!</p>

<p>Sailorette,
There are a few boarding school veterans here so please let us know if you would like any information - I daresay we are a friendlier group than those over on the BS parent thread!</p>

<p>Welcome to Sailorette and standrews. </p>

<p>ML - thanks for posting your list here. Now we can use yours and jackief’s as cross-references. </p>

<p>Forgot to mention this earlier, but both of my kids are spending their summer working at a local day camp. D will supplement her income by tutoring. Luckily, she already has a few students lined up, though only one has been scheduled.</p>

<p>Welcome Sailorette! Four kids…WOW!..I attended Wellesley (many moons ago) and I absolutely LOVED it. I wished my D would consider it, though she decided many years ago that she wasn’t interested in an all-women’s college. Wishing your D the best! And I promise you that she will have an amazing group of “sisters” that will be a wonderful part of her life in the near future and well beyond! :)</p>

<p>:cool: :cool:</p>

<p>Welcome to Sailorette, and and all of our other new joiners and de-lurkers. :)</p>

<p>The countdown for S is down to 52 days. Eeek! He still has not been able to find a job, so I suppose by now there isn’t much point. He is enjoying hanging out with his friends, as I think they are all feeling that time is slipping away. Nearly all of his friends are staying in-state, which I think is making the coming transition even harder on him.</p>

<p>Good morning, everyone! Sorry I’m so late - I decided to stay up til midnight, and then after that for some reason I couldn’t sleep, so I stayed up til around 4 reading. Irrational? Yes. Enjoyable? Yes. :cool: :cool:</p>

<p>So I’m t_c, I’m from NYC, and I’ll be off to Smith in the fall. My parents are both doctors, very practical and career-oriented, and they are proud of me but very befuddled as to my academic interests (gender studies, education, psych). We’re also immigrants, so the college search was something I pretty much did myself, with the help of CC. They are contributing to my college experience financially and emotionally, but I really love having this group of parents to talk to and ask advice of and share in my excitement. I came onto CC in 8th grade (starting that college search early!) and plan on being here for as long as y’all will let me!</p>

<p>I have a brother who will be in 9th grade in the fall. I look forward to helping him with his college search.
I also have two dogs - yellow labs, one from a breeder and one rescue. I will miss them tremendously.</p>