Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>I would not get a suit for a girl, I really think it will not be used. Cute dresses yes, a pencil skirt always good, works with a tailored blouse or a turtleneck or a t-shirt! I wore a pencil skirt to NYC today with a black embellished tee and ballet flats, some chunky jewelery and felt I perfectly urban!</p>

<p>I think having a nice jacket for the unknown dress up events is a good purchase.</p>

<p>The only thing I can think “rolling” would mean would be driving (like in the song “Ridin’ Dirty” … “They see me rolling…”) or perhaps something to do with marijuana joints??? Okay, I’m probably WAY off, huh? :)</p>

<p>acm… I iron EVERYTHING. (I’m rather OCD.) My friends laugh, but it’s become a habit/ritual for me. NYC is my favorite place in the world. I wish I was there right now. We’ve traveled pretty extensively and no place has captured my heart quite like NYC. When our son graduates hs in 5 years, I’m hoping I can pursuade DH into letting us sell our property here and move into an apartment in Manhattan. I’ll be giving up a ton of square footage, but at this stage in my life, I don’t care. The city just has so much energy and cultural opportunities. My husband, a northerner, said my southern blood might make it through one winter. :)</p>

<p>We got a flyer from WashU about one of their entrepreneurial services, called WashU Wash. I can’t find prices listed anywhere, except for a one-time wash. For $1.50 per pound, they wash and fold on a pay per use. Geez, I hate to fold. That alone appealed to me. Maybe they can come to my house and do that! I’m not very good about the regular wash and fold (my cleaning lady does that most of the time), but I did notice my son ironing his own shirt the other day. I guess I’m teaching them something!</p>

<p>parent56, I love the story about ironing for your son. </p>

<p>Now I need to catch up. acm, your comment about son’s GF reminded me of a very constant female visitor who’s here most nights. I found her poking through our pantry last night, in search of Anne’s mac n cheese. Never once did she ask if she could make some, although she did. The thanks were missing too.</p>

<p>@ parent56…keep hope alive, when your DS returns he may surprise you, now I didnt say to hold your breath :D.</p>

<p>LimaBeans…That WashU package sounds awesome!!!</p>

<p>I find that all these brochures for Dorm items et al are being sent to the " Parents of XXXX", while other pertinent financial information, Health docs, etc are being sent to the students. I guess “it is what it is”</p>

<p>I’m a little late to the game, but here goes!</p>

<p>I joined CC back in October when S was waiting to hear from the colleges to which he applied. The screen name comes from hoping that he would be accepted to his first choice (and life long dream school). Happy to report that he was. He will be attending University of Michigan. We are close to Ann Arbor, so I’m happy about that. S is our first born. We also have a daughter who will be graduating from high school in '12.</p>

<p>I’ve enjoyed trying to catch up on this thread. Looking forward to keeping up with it on a daily basis now that I have stumbled upon it.</p>

<p>jc40, I iron my pajamas, I think that may make my “officially” insane, I can’t seem to help myself, I like the sheets ironed too, but I don’t go that far! I really miss the woman who ironed!</p>

<p>The GF is sulking because I said S couldn’t go on vacation with her family, if he takes a trip this summer it will be to NC with H and I. I just can’t have a teenager in my house ignore me when I say hello or ask a question. I am not keen on my own teen sulking I really don’t want to put up with a strange teen sulking in my own house.</p>

<p>Nice to have a chance to join in – I’ve read threads in the Parent section from time to time over the past year as my daughter has gone through the admissions process, but I’ve only posted on the individual college threads. She will be going to William & Mary this August and can’t wait.</p>

<p>welcome hopeful2014 and congrats to your son!!!</p>

<p>acm my mother used to iron sheets, tea towels, underwear, and definitely pajamas. not me!</p>

<p>i hate it when kids sulk… youngest is sulking right now and i have no patience with it…“my computer wont play (some game) I want a new computer”…he’s the only one with a fully functional computer as it is. my turns itself off about 4 times a day, cant have more than 2 windows open or everything freezes. so when i said, no, mine will be replaced first and you wont get one just for one game…he has sulked ever since. grrrrrr</p>

<p>hi Flinty, congrats to your daughter</p>

<p>Hi Hopeful & Flinty! Welcome aboard the SS 2014!</p>

<p>OK, I’m in a better mood now (geez, 6 pages since this morning? Wow!) A good friend and I went to see Eclipse - don’t judge me, haha - and then we had a late lunch and browsed thru BB&B. Got some ideas for D.</p>

<p>I really shouldn’t blame D’s BF’s parents for D wanting to spend her weekends at their house on Cape Cod. It’s D that wants to go there, and who can blame her? Their small house is on a lake. They have a boat for fishing, tubing & water-skiing. BF and his friends hang out there, along with their girlfriends and BF’s sister’s friends. It’s a vacation all summer long! I just get frustrated because we can’t really compete with that. But D’s been pretty good about hanging out with us when they’re not on the Cape. She and BF came back to our house for dinner last night after they left the Cape.</p>

<p>Also, I did a little research on the Greek issue. According to Elon’s Greek Life webpages, their sorority rush isn’t anywhere near as involved as what was being described by other southern schools. It’s a formal process lasting about a week, but there was no mention of letters of rec, or photos or resumes. As for fees/dues, they vary by chapter but per the website all frat/sorority dues were in the $600 - $900/YEAR range, which seems reasonable. I talked to S and H (both frat brothers at Lafayette) about the $7k/year dues at UPenn, and H immediately said, “Well, they’re getting ripped off!” S said he couldn’t imagine what they are doing with all that money. He gets a couple of parties per semester, as well as the formal sit-down dinner dance each semester, included in his $500/semester dues. I also read that Elon’s Greek GPA is higher than their non-Greek GPA, and S said he thinks thats true at Lafayette as well. He pointed out that joining his frat gave him access to a network of older brothers, many of whom had already had the classes or professors he was taking as a soph & junior. He said he didn’t know many upperclassmen very well before he pledged, but after pledging the older brothers were helpful with advice in those classes.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for the birthday wishes, everyone! You guys are amazing! (As usual)</p>

<p>I had a great day - my mom and I went to BB&B, Target, Marshall’s, the Container Store, and more! It was pretty crazy, but a lot of fun. I got some cool dorm essentials, and looked at a lot of stuff. I feel like I’ve made a dent in dorm shopping now ;)</p>

<p>sewemma - so sorry to hear about your sister; she is in my thoughts</p>

<p>Happy BD CD!!! Welcome aboard Hopeful and Flinty</p>

<p>Welcome to Hopeful2014 and Flinty! CONGRATS to Hopeful’s S and Flinty’s D on their acceptances!!</p>

<p>I’m still waiting for another CCU parent to show up :cool:</p>

<p>I participated in a lot of business-dress events in middle/high school, so I’ve managed to accumulate nearly a complete professional wardrobe (including a skirt suit that I haven’t worn yet :rolleyes:). Just missing a pencil skirt and more than one long-sleeve button-down. The key is to shop often, if you enjoy it–Macy’s and Lord&Taylor have been good to me, in terms of clearance pricing, over the past few years. Although I have to admit that I try to avoid wearing my white linen blazer because it absolutely requires ironing every time. ;)</p>

<p>ahh! Found out Friday my GC never sent my transcript. I went to my HS to get him to send it, and he won’t be in again until AUGUST 15TH!
I was livid. Luckily, another GC handled it…</p>

<p>I also picked up my dipolma today…officially done with hS!!</p>

<p>Since y’all are discussing business attire - does anyone have experience buying suits for their daughters? Places to shop? I will most likely need a really nice suit for interviews this fall (think interviews that are “med school” important but not med school), and my mom and I are trying to make a shopping game plan. We think pants and a jacket are the best way to go in black or navy (colors I look good in, lol), but the whole thing is kind of a headache. I’m petite so we’ll definitely be getting things altered. I have looked online at J.Crew and Banana Republic, and my mom suggested Macy’s and Belk. Any input would be much appreciated!</p>

<p>I used to like a local “Petite Sophisticate” outlet before it closed. I think the regular sized sister store may be “Casual Corner”. When I was in job hunting mode, I bought a navy suit (jacket, skirt, pants) and a sweater set that went with it too. Lots of combos possible.</p>

<p>We stumbled across some Jacklyn Smith suits at KMart for my D a few months ago and she has already worn them several times - really nice and they were reasonably priced! They had pants, jackets, and blouses.</p>

<p>♬♬ Happy Birthday, CaliforniaDancer! ♬♬ You are an amazing girl and I hope your day was wonderful!</p>

<p>momof3sons - LOL re: the socks. They looked so much alike in the store… </p>

<p>kindredspirit - Thanks for the good wishes. Lunch turned into shopping turned into getting my passport renewed turned into waiting with our daughter while the cable guy completely rewired her house turned into ordering a deep dish pizza and watching The Bachelorette… a long day, but filled with some of my favorite people. ;)</p>

<p>sewemma - Your sister and family and you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. My heart breaks for all of you. {{HUGS}}</p>

<p>I had no idea what rolling was… Glad to say that our son doesn’t have a desire to play car tag. He won’t even ride with kids he says are bad drivers…</p>

<p>

Our son missed that memo!</p>

<p>anothercrazymom - Here’s my note to your son’s gf: :stuck_out_tongue: I wonder if it will copy on CC. If not, it’s a sticking out the tongue smilie.</p>

<p>PAO2008 - I hope the date works! That is a nice touch.</p>

<p>Welcome hopeful2014. Ann Arbor is a great town. Congratulations to your son.</p>

<p>Welcome Flinty. Congratulations to your daughter.</p>

<p>jambaby - Our daughter picked out her suit (jacket, pants, skirt) at Banana Republic. She wore the jacket and pants for her med school interview. She has worn the jacket and skirt a few times for other important events and has also worn the skirt with a sweater. She is glad she got all three pieces. </p>

<p>Yikes, I just looked at the clock.</p>

<p>:cool:</p>