Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Good Morning!</p>

<p>parent56, are you sure that isn’t my son living at your house? I told my son that when he leaves I expect his room to be clean enough for a guest. Let’s just say it’s not there yet. He tells me not to worry; it will get done. I should never have said “before you leave”. In his mind that gave him permission to wait until the last minute. </p>

<p>Kajon, sorry to hear about your son’s back. That is a tough situation for an active young man. I hope he heals quickly.</p>

<p>Kajon, I’m sorry about the back problem. That really and truly sucks.</p>

<p>Sewemma, I will continue to hold you and your sister in my thoughts.</p>

<p>JC40…I had the exact same discussion with D…she has MILLIONS of T-shirts, mostly from cheer etc that I have asked her to go through and get rid of…no progress yet…It is driving me crazy! We are lucky that we have 2 extra rooms to store her college stuff but I am afraid that those 2 rooms are going to be full to…someone mentioned needing an 18 wheeler to take thier child to school… I am afraid that will be me. At the very least we are going to have to rent an SUV…I got rid on mine last year and bought a cute sports car…big mistake :)</p>

<p>Keilexandra - check the websites for office supply stores. They should have small safes, but I don’t know how you could secure them. I suppose you could have someone drill a hole through the corner/two sides large enough for a bike lock to pass.</p>

<p>This one from Home Depot says it will attach to your desk or dorm bed. I like the concept. Go to “more views” and you can see how it attaches. <a href=“http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xit/R-202323642/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053[/url]”>http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xit/R-202323642/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>JC40 and parent56 - we apparently have children afflicted with the same disorder! I have no idea how a person can live in a room where you have to watch where you step. DS also arrived home from BS and has “stuff” including one unpacked suitcase in 2 bedrooms, an office and the bonus room. Grrr.
When I told him we were spending the next day off sorting his stuff into the giveaway, throw away and keep piles he said “I knew you should never have seen TS3”. Like I needed to see a movie to come up with the idea to sort out his stuff!
Seriously.</p>

<p>Add me to the list of parents with a kid whose room is a constant state of disorder that bothers me a lot and him not a whit. Except that when I told him that cleaning was going to be done before college, I didn’t even suggest that he do it himself - I told him we’d do it together, going through every drawer, shelf, and box, just like we used to do when he was little. I don’t think there’s even the remotest possibility he could/would do that himself - though his sister definitely did. Ah well. Treating one’s children equally does not always mean treating them the same.</p>

<p>Other activities I’m hoping to get him focussed on in the next couple of weeks include forms that are due August 1, shopping for some “dress-up clothes” - flannel pants and a dress shirt, and figuring out how to ship his bicycle.</p>

<p>D’s first day of work is today - can’t wait to hear how it goes.</p>

<p>Sewemma: your sister and your whole family are still in my thoughts. enjoy your daughter’s birthday and her accomplishments.</p>

<p>alice, there’s a link on the Carleton website about how to ship a bike. :)</p>

<p>

I’ll drink to that, too.</p>

<p>I really worry about the roommate.</p>

<p>Keilexandra - this safe is cheaper and probably easier to use. It should work unless some idiot comes to college with a bolt cutter. I like the idea that it could hang in your closet. [College</a> dorm security safe for valuable is our Go Vault College Dorm Safe](<a href=“http://www.dormco.com/Go_Vault_College_Dorm_Safe_p/dormco-gov.htm]College”>College dorm security safe for valuable is our Go Vault College Dorm Safe)</p>

<p>Keil, I saw a small drawer-safe at BB&B. S has never used one, but I’m thinking it might not be a bad idea.</p>

<p>Happy Wednesday to everyone! This week is flying by for me compared to last week which was a short week. BT - thanks for all of your great recaps which keep me up to date on this thread.</p>

<p>D is making progress with the room cleaning. I told both Ds that if they cleaned up their rooms and got rid of things and helped clean the garage we would do a yard sale and I would split the money made with them. This has been an incentive to get this done.</p>

<p>Now that AP scores have been posted at college I need to ask D how many credits she ended up with from her AP and CC classes she took while in hs.</p>

<p>no ap scores here yet…should get physics (which he thinks he did terrible on) and stats. He doesnt seem to care though as he cant use the advanced credits anyway.</p>

<p>p56, tell him to keep the faith. Both my ds and CaliD thought they bombed the test but ended up with 4s.</p>

<p>My D thought she probably got a 1 on the stats test and she actually got a 4! So you never know…</p>

<p>yds and swtcat… that’s great to hear…once he knew he couldnt use the credit he didnt study at all and tried to get out of taking them</p>

<p>Good morning! I think I’ll jump in here. Yesterday, I was 12 pages too late and the discussions were going fast!</p>

<p>My S has a neat room. You can actually see the floor :slight_smile: but I’m having a hard time asking him to start going through his things. He started to in the beginning of the summer but stopped. I don’t want to seem too excited that he’s leaving! :frowning: So, I’m not going to worry about it until the beginning of Sept.,two weeks before move-in day. His siblings will also be back to school.</p>

<p>Thanks for the college student insurance info! And the Amazon info! (I’d have to look back a few pages to find out who to thank!)</p>

<p>… and lived to tell about it (and still have a little room on the AMEX). And I am somewhat caught up on all the shopping and drinking that this forum did over the past few days. I essentially quit when I was 16 after getting really sick once. To this day, the smell of alcohol can make me sick.</p>

<p>Re; Sororities – D1 was a member of one as an undergrad. All sorority related expenses came out of her pocket. It was relatively expensive, but not $1000’s I’m sure.</p>

<p>Sewemma – Sorry to hear about your sister. Always nice to know there are other David Allan Coe fans around. “I was drunk the day my Ma got out of prison…”</p>

<p>It was nice to be able to spend a little quality time with the D’s in LA. We packed a lot of stuff into just a few days. The weather was a little cooler than expected, but that didn’t slow us down or keep us away from the beaches.</p>

<p>Travels were relatively uneventful. At least until we got to JFK last night and ½ of all flights were canceled. Luckily, ours was just delayed for a couple of hours. From traveling with me, both D’s are now officially spoiled from using the Crown Room. Although, D2 made the observation that everyone in the Crown Room looks miserable. Maybe its all that “sophisticated” drinking.</p>

<p>As expected, I saw plenty of “unique” things in LA… Venice boardwalk, Barney the Dinosaur at the Melrose Liquor Store, etc. The most disturbing thing that I saw was the “American Girl” store at The Grove (thanx for the tip lilmom). I admit that we have a couple of the dolls and they were more than a little on the pricey side. But, at the “American Girl” store, they actually have a salon with little chairs where you can have your doll’s hair done. And as if that wasn’t bad enough, they have a “concierge” service to make appointments. Something just seemed really sick about taking your doll to the salon. The D’s did inform me that the hair was always the first thing to “go” on them. :)</p>

<p>If nothing else, I finally learned what Havaianas are. Now it seems that I have to learn about all the flavors of rain boots.</p>

<p>D1 is kinda sad that she is down to < 1 month left in LA. A far cry from not wanting to go. Her internship company still wants her to stay. Unlike KYParent’s internship story from the Biltmore, D1 is working very hard and is a little stressed.</p>

<p>D2 is ready to move to LA where there are “things to do.” I reminded her that there will be “things to do” at college first. She is happy that she got to go to Sprinkles for cupcakes (highly recommends the peanut butter). She must be getting in college mode. Of all the options on Rodeo Dr., she purchased a Juicy Couture notebook. :slight_smile: No books here yet. D2 does not sign up for classes until she gets to school.</p>

<p>aliceinw: Wishing your D a GREAT first day at work!</p>

<p>showme88: The tag sale is a great idea! Maybe I that to not only motivate my D, but all my DH to clean out his study!</p>

<p>parent56: I hear you about the frustration in not being able to use AP credits…D did call a couple of weeks ago for her scores. She aced them all, though knew going in that none of the science ones could be used if she’s planning to do pre-med. The other credits will probably “just sit there,” except for a higher placement in math and exempting out of language requirement if she chooses to.</p>

<p>GSharp: Welcome Back! Sounds like you had a great trip with your girls! :)</p>

<p> :sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny:
sewemma - I’m continuing prayers for your sister and your family. {{HUGS}}</p>

<p>Kajon - Hoping today is a better day for you and your son. I know our son gets really crabby when he can’t be active.</p>

<p>mommusic - Sending you {{HUGS}} and hoping you’re in the middle of a good book.</p>

<p>anothercrazymom - Wishing you safe travels. Enjoy your time on the beach and don’t forget the sunscreen. </p>

<p>kindredspirit - It’s raining here, too. It’s one of those slow rains with lots of rumbling thunder. It makes me want to curl up with a good book. </p>

<p>Yikes on all the messy rooms. Our son is also in the messy room club. Thankfully, I can close his door… :eek:</p>

<p>parent56 - I’m glad your son is having a good trip. It is nice that he is spending time with his grandparents.</p>

<p>aliceinw - I hope your daughter’s first day is great! :slight_smile:
showmom858 - :heart: </p>

<p>GSharpM7 - Welcome back! I’m glad you and your daughters had a good time. </p>

<p>Staying :cool: :cool:</p>

<p>welcome back gmsharp…so did you try In and Out burger???</p>

<p>lilmom… what was the trick to a clean room?</p>