Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>sewemma: Thoughts and prayers from California</p>

<p>Sewemma,
My thoughts and Prayers to you and your family during this time. May you all find comfort in knowing that she is now in a better place and may you find the strength and courage to be that rock for your niece.</p>

<p>Sewemma, I am so very sorry for your family. I can’t imagine your grief and that of your mother and niece. There really are no words, just prayers for your peace.</p>

<p>Sewemma–sending my thoughts and prayers for you and your family.</p>

<p>Sewemma - I am so very sorry to hear of the passing of your sister. Please accept my deepest condolences. :-(</p>

<p>Sewemma-Praying that your family will be comforted during these difficult days with the knowledge that your sister’s love continues through those she loved. My sympathies to your family.</p>

<p>We’re back from vacation. Sewemma, I’m so very sorry for your loss. I’m the same age as your sister! That is just so sad. I will also be praying for you and your family.</p>

<p>Thank you all so much for your kind words. It was comforting to know I had so many people from all over the country thinking of me and my family. I was with my 3 children and lots of friends today. We all told stories. S1 remembered being the ring bearer at her wedding- wearing a tiny tux at 2 1/2 yrs old. S2 is very emotional, but tries to hide it. D was so happy she was finally able to open her birthday presents! We all talked about what a great cook she was. Oh boy, am I going to miss her cooking. She made wonderful savory dishes, but even better desserts. White chocolate cheesecake with a hint of lemon and an almond crust. Tomorrow I am going with her husband and my mom to make funeral arrangements. I am comforted in knowing that she is no longer suffering. When she first went into the hospital, 6 years ago today, they gave her a prognosis of 5 years. She lived 6. She always seemed so vibrant, so no one ever thought it would really happen. My mom is a wreck. But she will be ok. She has lived with my sister and her family for 15 years- when my sister had her baby my mom moved in to help.</p>

<p>I feel as though I have high jacked CC today!! My sister was all about living! So get back to posting about your wonderful kids and someone make me a drink! </p>

<p>You all are the best!!!</p>

<p>mimosa, wine, scotch…any thing you like… coming up… You didnt highjack cc, you gave us pause to remember the important things in life and to feel sorrow for a friend, </p>

<p>take care of yourself</p>

<p>sewemma - As I see it, there are four pages of people who owe you a huge debt of gratitude for being thoughtful enough to share your story with us and helping us keep into perspective what is really important.</p>

<p>cross-posted w/ parent56</p>

<p>It sounds like you all spent the day remembering your sister in her brightest of days which is good. Hope you are and the family are doing okay, sewemma. </p>

<p>My mom and I did some very small BB&B shopping today. We would’ve got more but this was just a quick trip of looking around. I got the Bed in the Bag set which included a hamper and all this other stuff (same as my friend who is going to another school, haha), a foam cover thing, and a mattress pad. We will be making many future trips to BB&B and Target. The one issue I have about Target right now is they are completely redoing ours and adding a grocery section. It’s been a mess for months but they are finally finishing it up at the end of July.</p>

<p>sewemma, not to pry - but what illness/condition did your sister have?</p>

<p>welcome back from vacation ML…hope you had a good time… have any fudge??</p>

<p>mdem…sounds like you have made a great start on dorm shopping. think we are done except for the grocery store run on move in day</p>

<p>laf… i think it was you i told…that the girl with the dragon tattoo was OK…that was when i was about 1/3 into it…it actually does get better, but seemed slow and disjointed at the start…the 2nd in the series starts better.</p>

<p>sewemma, I’m raising my glass to you. Clink! </p>

<p>This must be so devastating for your mom. 15 years of living with her after she had her child. My condolences. Thank you for sharing.</p>

<p>sewemma, I’m so sorry yet so thankful that your family is close and supporting each other. You didn’t highjack this thread, it’s truly an honor to read your words, to walk with you in a small way on this journey. </p>

<p>When we had the hurricane coming a few weeks ago, my husband made a pitcher of hurricanes and there is some left. I’m pouring you one…but don’t light a match near it!</p>

<p>sewemma - you sister sounds like a wonderful, vibrant person. I will continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts.</p>

<p>mdemvizi - no way, that’s the same thing the Target closest to me is doing, as I discovered when I went there…it was definitely a little chaotic. Best of luck with all your dorm shopping! </p>

<p>On a lighter note, I went with my dad and my younger sister to see the Giants play the Mets today at AT&T park. I had only seen one live baseball game before (a medicore Oakland As game on a 5th grade fieldtrip), and even though I’m not a big sports fan, it was a really nice experience. The Giants lost, but they made a pretty incredible comeback at the bottom of the 9th, which was really awesome. They lost during the 10th inning, but it was still fun. AT&T park is really nice, too. So congrats to any Mets fans (though we still won 3 out of 4 ;))</p>

<p>mdemvizi, Oh how I wish I could school shopping with you! PMK jr. wanted one fitted sheet, one pillow case, one quilt and one comforter. My attempts to talk him into two fitted sheets and two pillow cases where met with, “If it’ll make you feel better, fine. But I really don’t need it.” He looked at me like I had grown a second head when I mentioned a matress pad. Oy!</p>

<p>You just sound reasonable, even acknowledging that you will need a hamper!</p>

<p>I was happy to take the time to reflect all day after reading your post first thing this a.m., sewemma. Belly up to the bar; I’m buying!</p>

<p>Ds had a major accomplishment today. He cleaned out his old, never-used desk (never used, that is, except to throw stuff in/on). It was cute to see what was in the “secret compartment” he and his brother rigged. We’re going to put it out on the curb, hoping someone will pick it up for a deserving kid. We picked it up off a curb 8-10 years ago!</p>

<p>md, I’ve been trying to refrain from posting about baseball for all the Red Sox fans on here. ;)</p>

<p>lol pmk…and why do you think i said we are finished!! new blue comforter, new blue sheets, left over stuff from boarding school, a coffee maker and george forman grill…tada!! done</p>

<p>sewemma, I checked in on this thread periodically during the day, I was moved to tears everytime. The outpouring of support was the only correct response. I am proud to a part of this thread and the caring men and women who post here. I was especially moved by our young posters thoughtfulness and maturity. I know nothing eases your loss right now, I just hope knowing how many people care brought you some comfort.</p>