Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1) - #41245 by artloversplus.

Previous discussions:

Things have kinda dried up in the 2010 and Beyond universe. However, I’m stopping in just to say that D2 is now officially Dr. D2, PhD. Soon to be Mrs. Dr. D2, PhD.

If anyone still reads this, I hope you are doing well.

3 Likes

We’re doing fine. My 2010 grad got his BA in International Relations, where he wrote many papers on preventing nuclear wars. He worked for a couple of well-known NGOs, but decided that they were ineffectual and involved too much fundraising and sucking up to wealthy donors.

He wanted to make a difference and ultimately decided being a Naval officer was the way to go. He’s always been really interested in naval warfare (since he was six years old at least). He was posted to Japan for two years and is now in England. Got married in 2020.

Congrats to your daughter! What’s her field?

1 Like

It sounds like your S found his place which is always a good thing!

Out of undergrad, D2 had her BA in History / Gender Equality, became a financial analyst in Manhattan (they hired her because she understood the historical basis for the finances, not just the numbers), and decided that wasn’t for her. She was offered a full ride (inc. living expense) for the PhD, so she took it. Her specialty is History/History of Medicine, specifically Ob/Gyn. So much of her dissertation was not exactly my area of expertise. :wink: She helped do some of the historical research for the Supreme Court Mississippi Abortion case last year and was happy to be paid for her research. She has been offered and accepted a Post-Doctorate to continue the research of her dissertation and potentially turn it into a book. She has had some interest by publishers. In the meantime, she is doing research for a lobbyist to supplement her income while starting the post-doc this month too. Add to that the whole wedding thing and she is staying busy.

Wow, that sounds really interesting and incredibly relevant. Good luck to her! And congrats on the Post-Doc position as well.