Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Just checking in to complain today. My S has been up doing homework until at least 11:00pm every night this week. He has a big event this weekend and I’m worried he will get sick from the lack of sleep during the week. Ugh. 15 more days of school. Anyone else counting down?

Hope all the kiddos who took the SAT this weekend did well.

The “high density” work is happening in all of D’s classes too. She was recently on a rescheduled trip that had missing several days of class so she is struggling to get enough sleep and to catch up. Normally they have little homework because most work is in-class group projects. We have a month of school left-5 weeks, actually, and it can’t come soon enough. We are not doing super-early SAT or ACT’s. I think that would just put her over the edge. Kids AND teachers are all losing it lately.

The good news is that we found two custom-made summer programs and of course, her summer camp assistant gig with all the cute little kids. And her principal made a great suggestion for an internship next spring, so it’s not all bad.

@sseamom Glad to hear he is not alone in all this work. Sounds like your D has a fun summer ahead. Is she dancing or are these for her other interests? I know she is involved in so many different things.

S is going away for six weeks this summer. I will miss him but I think he is ready for a break from me. :wink:

@jedwards70 , she’s ALWAYS dancing, but no special dance plans this summer. She had applied to a couple of very selective month-long academic programs, but didn’t get into either one. But she did sign up for a week-long 1 college credit course at one of our state U’s. It’s about cultural diversity in the classroom from a teaching perspective, and that is what D plans to be doing with her life. The other is a leadership program for young women at one of the HBCU’s she wants to attend. So she’ll be gone only for 3 weeks, and not all at once, then volunteering at her summer camp.

Right now, though, she just wants a breather at the end of school!

Today is the deadline for College Board June 6 SAT/SAT Subject test regular registration. I registered DD for Math II SAT subject test. This is her first standardized test and I really hope she will start study hard after school ends.

Happy Mother’s Day!

Our HS still has 4.5 weeks of school left. The last day is June 10. When do your schools end? I’ve seen an amazing range in other threads from early May to late June.

He is happy to have his 2 AP tests done and thinks they went well. Studying was stressful, though. He still has big finals in at least 3 classes and I’m sure there will be a big English project, though it isn’t assigned yet. Chemistry is fun now, because they took the final before the AP test and will just be doing labs through the end of the year, and some of those will be extra credit. He has two borderline grades in classes that don’t give extra credit or curve, so he’s stressed about that. He’s also studying (some) for the June 6 SAT.

He’s missing a day of school for a math competition trip to Nevada at the end of May, so I hope that doesn’t mess up a grade. It’s a fun trip, and he doesn’t want to miss it, even though that is one of the days of the 3-day calculus final.

He (and I) will be really happy for summer to arrive. He talked last week with the people at the lab where he’s working about the projects planned for summer, and he’s super excited about working on those. He was bouncing up and down when he told me about it. (Nice to see my little boy back every now and then…) He’ll be working full time there except for a Geology class, which should be an easy and fun class. (And hopefully doing professional drivers training and then logging some driving hours with DH.)

My D’s high school ends on 6/19. I guess it’s on the very late side.

My S is done June 5th and we definitely have a countdown calendar! He is finishing up some homework after a weekend of performances and Mother’s Day celebrations.

Happy Mother’s Day!

D is done on June 16. Finals are the week before, and prom is the 5th. She will hopefully be going with the boy she’s known and loved her entire life, but he may not be available. Oh the drama! But her backup plan is to go with friends. For now, though, she just needs to get all caught up from that trip.

My 3 kids and awesome H gave me a great Mother’s Day, then D got back to her school work while H and I went shopping for some clothes for our vacation this July. We’re going to Vegas while D is away. Happy Mother’s Day all!

Just wanted to pass on a link to an offer of free prep materials for the new PSAT. I certainly can’t vouch for the quality of the materials. But free is good, though I suppose you will forever be on their email list.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/high-school-life/1762528-new-psat-2015-books.html#latest

S’s school ends this Wednesday. D15’s graduation is May 18, and then we are off on a family vacation. I have a lot to do in a week and a half!! And S is taking the SAT for Mat 2 in June also. Now if I could just find that study book we bought…

DS’s school is out the 22nd. I’m hoping he can retain some of the math for the SAT on June 6th.

@Ynotgo, it looks like that post for free PSAT book got taken down. Too bad.

I registered DS for the June 13th ACT. I figure that way he will have both the SAT and ACT scores done once.

My S takes his first AP test tomorrow. How about the rest of the 2017ers? Anyone’s kids taking an AP test for the first time?

Son took the CS AP exam last year. I believe the format of that test changed this year but don’t know the differences.

He took Math II a couple of weeks ago.

Another few weeks of classes before finals the week of June 8th. Awards ceremonies, science symposium, projects & papers, end-of-year banquets, etc. The same everywhere, I imagine.

Best of luck to your son, @jedwards70.

DS took the AP World History test yesterday. It was his first AP test. He went in kind of worried about it. He came out in a good mood. He said it wasn’t as hard as he thought it was going to be and felt he did well on it. So I’m hoping for a 4 or 5.

My S felt good about the AP test on Friday. I guess we’ll see in July. He is almost done with school here. I can’t believe high school will be halfway over in a couple weeks. I went back to work recently because I am worried about being an empty nester in a couple of years. DH works all the time and If DS goes far away I’ve gotta have something to do. I’m not a gardener, a tennis player, or a lady who lunches so I figured work was the best option. :slight_smile:
Will anyone else be an empty nester in a couple of years?

I’ll be an empty nester. I have two much older kids-a 25 yo D and a 30(!) yo son. My D lives nearby, and my S works down in Portland, but his company often has jobs in Seattle (it used to be based here). He stays in our finished basement when he is working here. That’s happening less and less though, but he does try to get “home” for family events.

I already work PT so I can be youngest one’s sherpa.I don’t see that changing when she leaves for college. H works FT and plans to be working in some fashion until he gets dumped or he drops. What I’d really like to do once D is launched is spend some of my free time helping out at her school. The school works so well because it can give kids lots of one-on-one attention, and volunteers are part of the equation. I don’t see myself sitting home.

I’ll be an empty nester, but kind of look forward to the luxury of retirement. I want to travel with H. I probably won’t really be able to retire until S17 is close to done with college, but I will start dreaming.