Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

I just looked it up and I’m both horrified and crying with laughter. How much fun was it to cheer on the teams? Lol

3 Likes

OMG- that mascot is the best! DH and I just had the best laugh, we can’t believe we have never heard of it. We thought Gritty was disturbing…

3 Likes

I told my sons about it first. Then I showed them the photo. My senior said “in my mind it was bad but not this bad.” And I thought having a turtle (Terrapin) for a mascot was weird lol

2 Likes

Our large suburban Pittsburgh school is the same. The only kids that ever get in are athletes and legacies. And our large school gets kids into Ivies and MIT. Williams Amherst etc. We just don’t get kids into UNC or UVA unless they are athletes or legacies.

1 Like

Every campus we visited for both D18 and D21 I offered the opportunity to go to the bookstore to buy swag. If they said yes we went; if they said no we didn’t. My D21 regularly wears lots of swag for school she never even ended up applying too.

1 Like

Totally agree!

Among other thing. Landyards; keychains; mugs; water bottles etc. you get the drill. My kids when they visited before admission if they wanted anything they would get t shirts or sweatshirts.

I can’t take credit for cheering alongside a 7 foot tall anatomically correct but disease-ridden appearing phallus, but I did the Google search @eb23282 suggested.

While I will forever be trying to scrub the image from my brain, I thought it was the right thing to do to declare that the least appealing mascot currently in existence, nay, the all time past, present and future least appealing mascot, is Scrotie from RISD. If you Google it, and I recommend you don’t, you have been warned.

7 Likes

Thank you! : ))

Hey I love Hamilton the musical so send that to me I will put it on my car…lol

2 Likes

This makes me feel better about the waitlist at UNC. My D21 is asking non stop if she will get into any other school or not?

Gritty is disturbing. Although Iceburg not much better

1 Like

OOS UNC decisions are a poor indicator of future results.

7 Likes

Ours too at a public here in Dallas

Really? Is there anyone in the past who get into T20 schools after waitlist from UNC? I don’t know how to console her-that too on her birthday. Any information about that is much appreciated.

I agree. I’m wondering if UNC waitlisted more kids than usual this year - kids in the past who they would have denied. They might be making a long waitlist this year.

1 Like

Yes. We know kids at Cornell and at Vanderbilt who got denied EA at UNC

5 Likes

I don’t have personal experience but I’m guessing others can chime in. I’ve seen many comments over the years about the low acceptance for oos. They are required to be 80% in-state students by law iirc. Athletic teams are nowhere near that so the percentage for other student is slightly lower.

1 Like

@homerdog and @dadof4kids
Thank you for all the information. It definitely relieved some of my stress hearing from fellow parents. Anyway I should have had my mind ready for this about selective schools. Still it is hard to take it the day it happens.

4 Likes

A friend of ours D got into a Georgetown but rejected from UNC.
It happens!!!

1 Like