Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

Yes, high school. It’s costing a lot of $$ (millions), a large public in an affluent area. But, it is catching cases and does help reduce community spread even beyond the HS.

As one example, S21 hung out with a group of boys on a Sunday in November, and one of them got a presumptive positive on his saliva test Tuesday morning…so we had S21 isolated by noon on tuesday, PCR tested tuesday afternoon, positive result received Wednesday. The saliva test likely saved our whole family from getting COVID, because he didn’t have symptoms for a few more days (just had a stuffy nose, no fever).

9 Likes

The high school I work at is testing kids 2x/week. This is also in Illinois. My son’s school not yet back, hopefully will also be providing testing. They return in a few weeks at 50%.

2 Likes

The December release of decisions at SDSU was just for a few high level/stat applicants (instate/OOS/International).

So congrats to those applicants and their families who already got their SDSU decision. :+1:

3 Likes

Incredible.

Cal Poly SLO has admitted some international students.

1 Like

Same. High School and K-8 weekly saliva testing. K-8 started using it the week after Thanksgiving and (knock on wood) have been able to stay in session ever since. HS district introduced it after winter break. Also Illinois.

7 Likes

Congrats!
CSUF - has released admissions?

2 Likes

My son got his acceptance letter via email on January 26th :blush:

5 Likes

I don’t think everyone got their admissions decisions from Cal State Fullerton . I believe they admitted to some high stats students like SDSU .

3 Likes

ASU has developed their own saliva testing and kids get results in 24 hours. Daughter has been tested 15 times and thankfully all negative.

6 Likes

One of my profs who had his own book on the syllabus handed every student a dollar on the first day of class. He said that was the amount of money he made on each book sold. It was funny but I actually thought it was the ethical thing to do.

Contrast that with another prof who put the book he was currently writing on the syllabus. It came as a stack of looseleaf that we had to get bound at the print shop, and it cost almost as much as a published book. Full of typos and other errors, a real mess. I still resent that guy!

6 Likes

A few people here have mentioned parent communications from the school their kid will be attending next year. Is this common? I haven’t received any communication from Tufts since my son accepted. Didn’t think anything of that until I read about Duke’s webinar for families, for instance. :wink:

Similar question about groups for accepted parents. Where are these typically found? I’m guessing these are unofficial, like Facebook groups?

1 Like

Facebook but be careful about fake ones. I am an admin for our class for one and there is a fake one for the parents as well and they do it every year at many universities and parents and students fall for it. You need to be very careful and check the admins and make sure the admins are affiliated with the university, either as parents or official reps for the university not some randoms like “human xxx” or whatever. Please advise your students to check as well. Many parents and kids post personal information and pictures and these are not legit groups. They sell fake crap and solicit people for junk.

1 Like

Argh. Is Facebook the main source of communication? I deleted it over a year ago because it was so toxic.

3 Likes

I agree @MommaLue but I learned with my older kids that there is often a lot of info for colleges on Facebook. You can look for the ‘official’ parents pages, housing and club pages to get info that is not on the official university/college sites.

2 Likes

@whyboydanny Yikes, but thanks for letting me know. I hate supporting Zuckerberg. Maybe I’ll sign up as my dog so they can’t monetize my data :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Ok, thanks for the warning! It appears there are 2 Facebook groups for Tufts parents–one with a Tufts rep acting as an admin, and one without. I’m not comfortable with Facebook, but might break down for this…

My son heard back from:

CSUN
CSUF
SDSU
CSLA
CSUSM

Hope that helps.

5 Likes

CA resident here, my son applied to applied to CA schools only, CS major.

Accepted: CSUF, CSULA, CSUSB, CSUN, CSUCI
Still waiting to hear from: CSULB, SDSU, SJSU, CPP, CPSLO
He also applied to UCR, UCI, UCSB, UCSD, UCLA but I feel these maybe all reaches for him, specially for CS major. Anyway, we think he’ll fit better in the CSUs.

7 Likes

That’s a great list of schools! Which is his first choice?