Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

Some talk about yield management - as we might guess, predicts lots of waitlist use.

5 Likes

Interesting read. God help those of us who may have to live that scenario! I believe it though. My son has heard from 7 schools so far, with a few more to go and it is shaping into exactly what that article has described.

4 Accept (although 1 school the accept is not in his first choice major which he is waitlisted for, separate from the WL below)
2 Deferral
1 Waitlist

3 Likes

D21 has heard back and been accepted to 7 of the 9 schools she applied to. The remaining two schools have not yet announced. She had a 3.96 unweighted GPA and 1400 SAT that she took early her Jr year pre-covid mostly as a practice but never had the chance to re-take. I don’t think any school she applied to used the SAT this year (at least they claimed not to).

Western Washington University: Accepted into Honors College with $3,000 merit
Washington State: Accepted into Honors College with $4,000 merit
University of Oregon: Accepted with $10,000 out-of-state merit award.
Whitman: Accepted with $14,000 merit and $7,000 need-based grant.
Gonzaga: Accepted with $24,000 merit
Lewis & Clark: Accepted with $30,500 merit
University of Puget Sound: Accepted with $33,000 merit
University of Washington: Still waiting to hear
Occidental College: Still waiting to hear.

If she gets into UW I expect it will be her first choice, or end up being a choice between UW and Whitman. I expect all the other public schools will drop off the list if she gets into UW. If she doesn’t get into UW I expect Whitman will go to the top of the list and she will look at UPS, L&C and maybe WWU as alternatives before making the final choice. Occidental is kind of a wild card. If they accept her and offer her generous merit aid it will jump into the mix but we aren’t really holding out hope for that.

I wish Whitman was offering as much merit aid as UPS and L&C but such is life.

We live in the PNW and have visited every one of these schools in person, most of them pre-Covid with students around so I can offer comments if anyone wants to know about any of them.

In retrospect we visited but she didn’t apply to any “reach” schools. Mostly because they would have been extraordinarily more expensive than the schools she did apply to due to the likely absence of any merit aid. We are unlikely to qualify for much if any need-based aid at any school, especially after this Covid year is over. She almost applied to USC and Pomona but both of those schools most likely would have been full-pay for us if she had gotten in. I’m happy with her suite of options.

28 Likes

@Camasite Im manifesting UW for your kiddo. Best value for your $$. Reputation, great profs, and a hub for corporate recruiting!!!

2 Likes

Yes, fingers crossed. It is no small source of frustration for my daughter that her first choice is the last to announce. It basically puts everything on hold. And she doesn’t want to talk about any of it for fear of jinxing things.

But we would be happy with UW and are glad that we have a top in-state public flagship as an option, which isn’t the case for every state. We’ve been visiting the campus for years and every year her HS marching band goes up in the fall to play at half-time during a Husky football game for Husky Band Day which is a great recruiting tool. Hanging out with the Husky Marching Band all day and playing at a college football game is hugely exciting. As the Huskies have been in her blood ever since.

3 Likes

@Camasite Nothing beats Louis, Louis and Tequila at the game by the band!! Oh, I miss the campus. So beautiful. I was STEM so was in the QUAD for two classes. Life was spent in the Drumheller Fountain area for most of my 4 years.

2 Likes

Nothing beats Louis, Louis and Tequila at the game by the band!! Oh, I miss the campus. So beautiful. I was STEM so was in the QUAD for two classes. Life was spent in the Drumheller Fountain area for most of my 4 years.

Yep, I spent 4 years of my life there for grad school. I had a TA job as the campus Peace Corps recruiter so had my own office in the very top tower of Thompson Hall. Very cool. Good times. My daughter’s HS marching band is probably the largest in the state of WA and her band director and the UW band director are close friends so her school is essentially a pipeline for the Husky band and they send a handful of kids there every year. She probably knows at least a dozen Husky band members as old HS band mates. They play all the same songs as the Huskies and follow the same marching style and formations so she has essentially been training to be a Husky Band member for the past 4 years. She is uninterested in going to WSU or UO to be on one of the other Pac-12 bands. It has to be the Husky Band. And has even less interest in doing concert or jazz band at one of the smaller private schools that doesn’t have a marching band.

I’m not sure the marching band is necessarily the best reason to pick a school. But I guess it can at least be a tie breaker. And it will be an instant circle of friends at a huge school like UW that might otherwise be tougher to find.

6 Likes

@Camasite (no offense to WSU fans)
friends don’t let friends become Cougars!! Bank of America used to have checkbooks that had Wazzu and UW art. My sister and I went to the UW and my brother WSU. My dad would skip the Wazzu checks if he was writing checks to us. :joy:

1 Like

She was singularly unimpressed with Pullman when we made our college visit road trip out there in the summer of 2019. So I don’t think WSU is happening unless as a last resort. She would probably rather go to WWU if she doesn’t get into UW. I was impressed with the university and facilities. But WSU has to be the most isolated major college in the country. It is really remote. And that is a long brutal road trip to get there.

4 Likes

I don’t want to belabor this point 10 days later. I will say at the outset, we are all frustrated as parents and educators and these forums are a place to share frustrations so I understand where you are coming from. But as a higher ed academic, I think your post was ONLY a searing and unfair indictment of the overwhelming majority of teaching faculty who have stepped up to do what they love to do- teach. Understandably the experience your daughter had was not acceptable but candidly there we are only hearing her experience. We take cheating very seriously in public and private universities. Our teaching faculty have learnt many harsh lessons having been thrust into an entirely different way of teaching overnight including developing and monitoring exams. It takes years to develop a good course and to have to develop it overnight in a format that is alien to most of us is (we are Gen Xers and older for the most part). In addition the technology you talk about is not without its own challenges that we have to balance with understanding what is cheating and what is simply human motion during an exam. Finally, there is ignorance/arrogance in your statement in expecting to be fully insulated from the risks of Covid-19. “As an educator, you must know your risk of exposure, even by students who are partying, if proper measures are taken, mask wearing, social distancing, hand washing, testing and tracing, the risk to you is extremely low” . That is simply not true. We have to do better as educators. We want to. We are trying everyday. We feel the responsibility towards our students. That is why we are in this profession. Have some grace. Let’s teach our children to have some as well. In addition, I would encourage your daughter to file a report with the school’s appropriate committee (there will be one) so this issue can be fully investigated.

16 Likes

Western Carolina University is no easy commute either. And when you finally get there, you find a university of 10K+ students in a town of 6K residents. It’s a nice campus, sits in a scenic valley, and offers good programs at a fantastic price, but is the most remote and isolated university in the NC system.

1 Like

She clarified her statements, I don’t think there’s any need to pile on. I’m a professor too. Most of us are doing our best. I do have some colleagues who phone it in. It is what it is. It’s okay to get frustrated when a teacher isn’t doing their part, just like we get frustrated when some students (or administrators!) don’t do their part. I think the stress of the pandemic and all of the restrictions really just amplifies things.

8 Likes

Western Carolina is isolated, but it’s not a power-5 conference flagship and nowhere near as isolated as WSU. Asheville is only about 50 miles away and Atlanta and Knoxville are each a couple of hours away. And there are small towns all over. By contrast, find Pullman WA on a map. WSU has a total student population of about 29,000 in a town with a total population of 34,000 including students. There is basically no one there not connected to the university. You have Spokane about 75 miles away. After that, Seattle, Portland, and Boise are all around 300 miles away across mostly empty western wilderness and western range land. Then imagine your kids driving those 300 empty wilderness miles during a December blizzard on their way home for Christmas. We are talking 50 mile stretches between gas stations in places. Pullman is so isolated it is about 2 hours away from the nearest 4-lane interstate.

1 Like

Doesn’t sound enticing.

Though I will say that to a college student, 50 or 75 miles away is about the same level of difficulty. Yeah, 300 miles to the nearest really big city is far.

How about we let @CogSci50 express feelings without invalidating them? What you call a “clarification,” I felt was quite unkind to me. (Please note the 17 likes to my comment asking @srparent15 to be kinder.)

6 Likes

Might I remind members of the forum rules: “Our forum is expected to be a friendly and welcoming place, and one in which members can post without their motives, intelligence, or other personal characteristics being questioned by others."

https://www.collegeconfidential.com/policies/rules

Let’s support each other instead of throwing shade. This time of year is stressful enough as it is.

5 Likes

Perhaps I was not clear. So left me rephrase.

Move on.

I removed those posts continuing to belabor the point after my earlier note.

1 Like

D21 has heard from 4 of her applications with acceptances, 2 deferrals and 1 denial.

She was accepted into JHU (no FA) and Purdue (10k merit each year) major Biology or BioChem with possibly pre-Med intentions.

Waiting on the 2 deferrals and 5 others in March and April. These days are dragging!
I think she is wrestling with us having to pay 75k a year (JHU) vs 10k for Purdue. What is your input on cost vs. future? I know JHU is fantastic for research (she has done 3 years so far and presented at many events including ISEF) Will it be worth the difference in price?

4 Likes

@MITWannaBe2015 If she got into JHU already wouldn’t that have been ED, requiring her to attend?

1 Like

Yes it is but since they didn’t offer her any Financial Aid she can back out.