Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

Omg, that’s awful - your vaccine symptoms. Have you previously had covid? They say people who have had covid have much worse symptoms of the vaccine than those who haven’t. Also, Pfizer is supposed to have much few symptoms than moderna.

Two of my kids have had moderna and absolutely no symptoms. I had it and thought I escaped, but 48 hours later I had a headache and then the next day just felt yucky. Can’t describe it but that’s the word. Then totally fine. My mother who’s turning 80 had none, but she is type O so now we wonder if that’s related since there is a relationship to type O and getting covid at all. My father mild. Two more kids and a husband to go. Hopefully some more smooth sailing. Glad you’re past it!

And yes, re the mammogram. They say don’t have one for a like 3 months after the vaccine.

3 Likes

Don’t forget U-Chicago has been doing test optional for a few years now, so they must have that system down pat and how to evaluate those applications. I couldn’t get one single kid of mine to apply or look there and I have no idea why. Both their father and step father went their for grad school and what a beautiful historic campus.

1 Like

I can’t be sure that I did not have it last Spring. I wanted to get Moderna, since the president is an Amherst College Alum :purple_heart:, so that’s what I get for taking the Pfizer vaccine :rofl:

I’m going to throw a suggestion to all of you who have kids considering PT. Even 20 years ago PT and OT were harder to get in to then med school-there are students who will apply multiple years in a row and keep retaking pre-Recs until they have all A+.
Yes- direct admit is the way to go but one of the biggest lotteries out there.
Have your students look in to PA or NP programs. I am a mid level provider because I failed to get in to PT school. Best thing that ever happened to me. You can work in orthopedics, rheumatology, as a hospitalist or any other sub specialty that floats your boat and have an extremely rewarding career. I even have one former classmate who did ground breaking research that changed osteoporosis treatment. She worked for one of the large teaching hospitals in orthopedics and was head of research and trained the fellows. I don’t know an ortho practice that doesn’t have mid level providers.

12 Likes

To my fellow CA parents, has anyone else checked on their CALgrants? My daughter’s school automatically submits each student for this. I logged in and checked on the CSAC site, and as I had known, we did not qualify for the CALgrant, and there is no determination yet on the Middle Class Scholarship. But what was interesting is it lists her School of Attendance as UC Los Angeles. She did apply there, and to 3 other UC schools, but has not received a decision from any of them yet. She has however already heard from the 2 CalStates she applied to and was accepted to SDSU and SLO, but those are not listed there. Why would UCLA be listed as her school of attendance? If anyone knows, please let me know, thank you!!

1 Like

You need to change it to whichever school she decided to attend, and then confirm it. It defaults to whichever school she listed first on the FAFSA when that was filled out. :blush: My son qualifies for Cal Grant A thankfully, as that’s all he qualifies for. He will be attending SJSU.

1 Like

Thank you! I was confused. My daughter will not likely be attending any CA school when it comes time for her decision, but I am keeping track of everything as best I can just in case.

2 Likes

YW! Best of luck to her! :crossed_fingers::blush:

1 Like

@srparent15 whatever University of Chicago is doing with test optional, they’re doing it right. Everyone one of my interns and new hire from UChicago are amazing!

2 Likes

The only figure I saw for past years was that about 15% of apps and admits were TO. It will be interesting to see if their numbers are different for this year.

I am a NP working in a sub specialty

4 Likes

It is true that the storm is moving away as we are about to get close! But hopefully the end is near!

1 Like

When people have already had Covid, they often have a severe reaction with their first vaccine because the shot is acting like a booster to their immune system. Their antibody levels shoot through the roof—much higher than the levels of people who haven’t had Covid when they get their 2nd vaccine.

A friend has been very worried about her D21’s pandemic behavior. She and her husband even distance from their D because they can’t get her to take precautions. The daughter just got the J&J vaccine due to her job, and she got very sick—fever, chills, headache, vomiting. Their doctor said she likely had Covid at some point. I’m glad they didn’t get it from her!

5 Likes

My daughter’s roommate’s brother was vaccinated about 2 weeks after having covid and he had terrible side effects. It’s crazy how it can be so different for everyone.

Your friends are fortunate they didn’t get it from their daughter and should be thankful she received the vaccine. One of my daughters attends a school where people just are not safe. She did her best first semester and managed not to get covid which surprised us. She had an antibody test fo confirm she had none. But I was so worried about her and long term effects if she ever got it. Fortunately she’s been able to get the vaccine and just had her second dose. When she was home over winter break they basically did not see any friends unless they had antibodies because they didn’t want to put any of us at risk. I know it was hard for them and boring. I’m happy things can be a little more normal and now that their grandparents are all vaccinated when they come home my kids can finally
Spend some time with them.

Can’t wait until this thing is past us!

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your insight! 25 years ago, it seemed there were not enough PA programs to fill the demand…not even close. I’m not in the medical field now so my old perception that it is even harder to get into PA school than PT may be wrong.

Thank you all for the information about DPT and PA programs. I didn’t know any of that!
S23would be interested in approaching it as a PA or nurse, or he may have other ideas in a few years.

Now can someone explain the outlook for different engineering majors? Just kidding; it’s just that it sure confuses me. Our state college, UVM, has a 1-credit class for engineering majors that brings in engineers in the different specialties to talk about their work. We lived too far away to take D21 each week for dual enrollment, but it sounded like a great idea. He’s in early college this year with no such class, but still interested in mechanical.

CDC recommendation is a 90 day waiting period - could explain the terrible side effects.

2 Likes

This is not accurate - they recommend being fully recovered from your acute covid infection. They say you may delay up to 3 months as you likely have some natural protection the first few months after covid infection (really just making room for people who have NO protection to get the vaccine first). The only time you NEED to wait 90d is if you had the monoclonal antibodies.

2 Likes

Good clarification - thanks!

1 Like

Agree. I recovered a couple of weeks ago, and my doc told me this yesterday: “There is no contraindication to getting the COVID-19 vaccine after the actual disease, so you may receive it when it is offered to you.”