Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

@Mumfromca If your son finds internship that’s CS related (totally doable if you are app math from Stanford), he could get a job in CS. It’s not an issue, esp from Stanford

I don’t know about my daughter but I got an email like this from Ball State urging her to apply… lol

Yes I saw a few others from California who did not get the major and were waiting on UCs plus had other offers. :crossed_fingers:

We lost our new rescue kitten in December after some big bills trying to figure out what was going on and last week our older cat had an emergency vet visit that was $1200! They saved him, but the cost was a shock and I could see how heavy it might be to turn folks away who didn’t have the funds. We will get pet insurance for any future pets for sure.

4 Likes

Welcome! My D has some overlap with schools on your list - it’s nice to have some company as we wait. Good luck!

2 Likes

Delete. Misread. Need more coffee. I blame DST.

7 Likes

Hi @pelomom! Our D is in at Smith as well, which was nice after being deferred from Brown (I’m expecting a rejection). She’s waiting on BMC and MHC, and a bunch of others, but didn’t get interviews at some, so who knows. Hopefully, we’ll all hear at least some good news in RD!

10 Likes

I’m sure he can change to CS at Stanford! A friend of our son’s went in thinking she’d be a doctor and switched to CS. Congrats to your S on the great admission!

WSJ has a new article about colleges being more open in the fall. Nothing earth shattering, but thought some people might find it interesting.

1 Like

He can change his major easily, and this should not be an issue. I understand it seems weird and insensitive of me to be posting about UCs and CSUs when we have an early acceptance to such a great school.
However, I am the only one in my family that is super excited and grateful about this acceptance. My H thinks that my son can get a good education if he goes to McGill (accepted to SW Engineering with very low in-province Canadian tuition) or a high-ranked UC (provided he is accepted). Money is not an issue but it also does not grow on trees.
My son, on the other hand, wanted to go a bit further from home as we live very close to the campus.
Regarding CS as a major, there is a perception among local parents (me included) that there are only a handful of college degrees that can provide a path to self-reliance and financial independence in our high-cost of living area. It’s a bit sad actually that few kids ‘follow their passion’.

3 Likes

OK, this is going to be fun now. I have my D’s college application list setup into NCAA tournament bracket format. We’re going to have some fun with this.

27 Likes

I love it!

UC Irvine went out early in the 1st round due to Covid protocols. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7 Likes

I love this! Wanted to do something similar but I have to do it solo on the down low as my D does not want to talk about it.

My D is also considering McGill. Fantastic school in a beautiful city if he wants a change of scenery.

4 Likes

So the other day we saw one of the schools my son was deferred at sent emails about adding in additional scholarships for other deferred students, we didn’t get it. So that’s basically a big indicator.

Then we get another email today from a different school he’s deferred at saying they were not able to give him any scholarships because the applicant pool was strong. Okay, he’s deferred though. Why are they sending him anything about scholarships?

My son just lost his stuff saying why is it so difficult to time these emails so it doesn’t cause more stress on students? I just said using colorful language j@#$@#@# them and I’m not interested in spending that kind of money on places who can’t properly communicate between officers and hold emails like that until decisions are released. Seriously, just release the decision if you’ve already made it. Making him wait 2+ weeks is stupid. Let him move on.

8 Likes

@Mumfromca I always find this strange that there is this perception. I’m probably the only parent who discourages their kids from becoming a doctor. I have a spreadsheet that calculates lost $ opportunities that is associated with med school even.

A new hire with a biz degree working for me can realistically make six figures after two years and contribute to work that impacts the community and the US. That’s just a start. I wished many parents would realize that. Premed isn’t the end all and CS also isn’t the end all. I actually have a cô-op working for me who is a music major and getting a masters in music. We let her work part time to fulfill that passion and when she is on at work, she’s an amazing, amazing data scientist who analyzes my business and can create amazing things in python and PowerBI, as well as JAVA. Has zero CS, IT, or Comp Engr degree.

14 Likes

DH says “gee S21 has done better than we expected with acceptances, maybe he should have applied to more reaches.”

Why would he send us in a spiral of second guessing at this point? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

So glad to have our first UC acceptance. S21 got into UCSC! (Comp Science and Game design, school of engineering)

38 Likes

Thanks!