Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

Trinity is such a great school. Love the kids from our area who attend - they are super happy & successful. My kiddos would have considered it but I don’t believe they have Engineering …

3 Likes

@Momof3B YESSSS!!! Congratulations - so happy for your son and your family! Great news!

1 Like

Yes, My daughter got that email too! :woman_facepalming:

Great news! Congratulations! I wish my D will decide soon.

1 Like

@123Mom123 Agree 100%! Today’s admissions process has exactly zero similarities to my own experience. I’ve said this before, but the fact that they really have to be committed to building their profiles at such a young age is disheartening and sad. They are being robbed of carefree days of being a kid! It’s wonderful to see all of their hard work pay off in the end, but it is truly a soul-crushing process.

Thinking good thoughts for all who are still awaiting decisions and hoping for lots of happy news. At the end of all of this, whenever it may be, we should all ‘meet’ here and raise a glass to celebrate our 21s!:clinking_glasses:

6 Likes

Also - University of Kentucky had better get going on the new freshman dorm to accommodate all the new admits!

6 Likes

@DramaMama2021, I think we must do that to UT after their (non)acceptance. My daughter got accepted into a major which is neither her first nor second choice. I guess that is how UT soft rejects the top 6% auto admit kids.

5 Likes

Yep for auto admits they don’t guarantee your major of choice so it’s a double edged sword. You’re guaranteed admission, but it doesn’t mean much if it’s not in the major/school you want to be in which then the admission can be worthless in some cases.

3 Likes

So I’ve gone from feeling excited about S’s admission to University of Washington to disappointed. People have been mentioning UW’s system where you are not admitted to your major and basically have to apply at some point. My S declared physics as his major, but it looks like most of the other sciences he would be interested in require students to do that. I can’t remember where I saw it, but someone said it’s like another college application! ECs, an essay, certain grades, competition with classmates, etc. This would not be good for him and it sounds needlessly stressful.

Can anyone here confirm this and shed light on the process? Most of the discussion I’ve seen concerns the school of engineering and computer science. He is admitted into the College of Arts and Sciences, so maybe not as tough as Engineering or CS, but still.

I’m disappointed because UW is gorgeous and Seattle would be a fun place to visit.

We are OOS so it’s very expensive … seems kind of risky to pay $50k + and not even know if you will be able to get your major. Plus the stress …

I’m seeking any input from the knowledgeable people on this thread!

1 Like

We are here waiting for notifications but University of Kentucky is wanting us to start again since app is due 4/1. :joy:

4 Likes

@MorseLewis I can share perspective from a class of ‘97 ChemE and my son’s friend is there for bio and bio chem now as a freshman. This is not unusual at all at the UW. We usually know what the min req’s are for each of the dept and we work to check those off and then apply to the dept spring of our sophomore year. For those two, it’s still normal. I was always grateful that we had that policy at the UW because I came in as an accounting major and just never got around to business classes.

I believe other than a couple of the depts, the UCs are similar, too.

1 Like

@MommaLue Lol! Well, it will give you something constructive to do while you await decisions :joy:
15 days … tick tock!

1 Like

@Solstice155 :joy: I’ve kept myself distracted by helping my son’s friends apply for their scholarships. Last week I helped review med school secondary app essays, which, incidentally, are very similar to undergrad college app essays. They’ve kept me busy. But I may apply to UK just for myself. :joy:

4 Likes

Thanks for your response. I don’t think I understand the benefits of that system. And its news to me that UCs are like this too. I hadn’t heard this, or at least if they are like this, I hadn’t heard that you have to apply like you do at UW. From what i’ve read, bio is a bit different in that it’s easier than the other sciences to get into. Not sure why. Biochem is harder. But other than these two majors, I can’t find info on physics or the other sciences in the College of Arts and Sciences.

And besides having to reapply, doesn’t this system put more stress on the students?

1 Like

@MorseLewis Physics won’t be bad at all. Bio chem wasn’t bad. My sister and her husband (11 years younger than me) got in the same way. I think by sophomore year, we just all know to do this and it’s the normal adult thing. Think mine was a couple of essays but it wasn’t bad.

My niece just graduated last year and she said business, CS, engineering are the toughest ones to get into but unless someone truly screwed up and got bad grades, they’ll get in. Physics is a min req major so if your kiddo meets min GPA and has a solid personal essay, it’ll be straightforward. I just texted my old ChemE professor who just retired this year.

Edit: if I may add, encourage him to try a couple of engr classes. Unless he wants to go into academia, he may find engr a more marketable option of applied physics.

3 Likes

Thank you for this perspective. She actually mentioned some regrets along the way as far as course selections but she’s made peace with it and knows she gave her all with the choices she did make, so I know that must feel good. My wish is that she can begin to accept how capable and successful she already is and that there is room in the world for her to shine. Her passion for teaching is so inspiring and gives me hope for future generations of young learners.

4 Likes

That’s a riot! Get a couple extra rolls in for my daughter too! (After denied at Chicago Friday she was accepted MIT Sunday so we turned our frown upside down)

32 Likes

Sorry forget @dramamama2021

Our GC said that colleges look at the level of the language that you reach. S21 started in Grade 8 so he hit level 4 in junior year and did not take a language senior year. You need to look at the college to see what level they either recommend or require.

Precisely the reason I told my kids not to become professional athletes. Baseball players work 28/30 days a month, almost entirely at night and definitely on every weekend, and you’re on the road for weeks at a time. Not a job I would sign up for.