Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

I wonder if they’re doing this to get kids to commit earlier so they have a sense of their numbers and can move to their waitlist much sooner perhaps?

2 Likes

Will do! I honestly don’t think my son cares so much what a building looks like. Afterall, I have seen some pretty ugly buildings at the various schools my kids go to and in high school it’s not like they have a choice of what their school looks like, etc. But for him, location to classes and how big the campus is may be a thing because one thing he doesn’t like about Michigan is where the Engineering campus is, although that may ultimately not stop him if he is admitted and it’s his best option and doesn’t like UVA which he’s leaning towards. My son however, is NOT preppy so not sure how he will fit in as I did hear UVA is preppy. He is the shorts/sweats and t-shirt kind of kid. Maybe a school like UVA will help change that! :slight_smile:

To others can someone post that link for the thread for committed class of 2025 students or whatever it is called? I can’t find it and want to have it bookmarked for when we are ready.

@homerdog I thought for California there is a quarantine for non-residents, so you should check that out if you’re planning a visit.

Yeah not planning a visit. Too complicated and can’t see much. But it stinks. D got a terrific scholarship at LMU and a direct admit to their honors college but we just can’t consider without more info.

1 Like

I went to UNC and had many friends at UVA. There are many similarities among the two universities and both towns have their own particular charm. I found UVA a little more diverse in its student body, probably due to the Northern Virginia kids and the higher amount of OOS students. Two great schools, best of luck.

3 Likes

So strange to me that an urban campus is not open to public foot traffic. If it weren’t for the campuses near me during this ordeal, I think we would have gone insane.

Luckily, I’ve called a few of the campuses in California where my d has been accepted & they’ve told me that we can walk around. She’s been WL at LMU, so we’ll skip it anyway.

Middlebury of course ('91 grad)!! Not sure what type of comparisons you’re looking for. Colby is one of the colleges I mix up with Bates, Bowdoin, Hamilton so I’m not much help. Does it have its own downhill ski area like Middlebury? I came back to live in VT after choosing Middlebury for its location…

I think you nailed it. The sad thing is the pressure this will put on the kids and parents to figure things out quickly out of fear of getting less desired housing or even shut out of housing.

I am so relieved to have hit the finish line yesterday with my S. I feel like I can think so much more clearly.

6 Likes

Nice! Lafayette isn’t my daughter’s first choice either. Because of size. She has been in small schools since preschool. Her K-8 was a 1 classroom per grade level Catholic school, and her high school is a small all girls Catholic school, and there are 85 girls in her graduating class. So she is hoping for something larger. But she is looking for a school with lots of history, steeped in tradition, with tailgating, and Greek life. And that is 100% Lafayette. I am from the Lehigh Valley, so I have arranged for her to spend a night with a relative who is a sophomore, and in a sorority, so she can see if she likes it. She has been on campus many times and has been wearing Lafayette swag since birth. So we’ll see what happens. If she gets a lot more rejections between now and April 6th, but gets into Lafayette, she may feel differently.

I strictly forbade her from applying to Lehigh btw, I told her it would kill me.:rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

1 Like

Here it is! It is fun to read now and can only imagine how fun it will be to read in a month…or two (!):

2 Likes

my son as well

Same here NO LEHIGH…We did take a tour for D18 but like when I looked at many years ago, she took one look at the mountain they to traverse at least twice daily and said no way…

3 Likes

UT does that as well. Quite annoying. I paid the housing deposit for S19 when he was admitted and waiting on others( but unlikely to attend). Decided to sit that out with S21.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

UCSB is really doing some “innovative” things this cycle…for a UC. They announced an actual release date, made up a dumb poem and now they’ve opened up their housing early for FIFO? If so, good for them.

3 Likes

I suspect it is for student security and safety. Not every urban campus is in a leafy suburb. In some places if you open the campus to the public you will get vagrants sleeping in the shrubs, invading the public spaces, showering in the sinks, and generally making life unsafe and unpleasant for the students. Or just dog walkers letting their dogs poop all over the lawns.

Public universities probably have to be more open to the public and are probably governed by more public access laws than private universities like LMU.

Housing opens 4/8! What’s nice about SLO is that they have a 2-year housing program now for CENG, CAFES, etc.

UF housing agreement deadline is 3/30.

If you don’t complete the agreement by then you can get on waitlist.

So ridiculous.

ETA: S is finally recognizing what BS this is and said he may just opt for an apt if he ends up at UF.

3 Likes

An AO from UCSB came to my son’s hs to speak / warn about applying. One very smart and wonderful lady (even though she turned our kid down). They are not dumb in that office. Good news to anyone on the waitlist there. I’d wager they might have their class filled sooner and might not have needed as long of a list to do it.

I’m thinking UCSB is not FIFO for Housing …per their ‘steps to enroll’, it addresses filling out the application but does not state FIFO:
"Freshman Students
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2021-2022 UCSB housing capacity remains uncertain. However, new freshmen will be able to submit a housing application between March 16-May 10. Information about the allocation and contracting process will be shared via email as soon as it is available."

Unless I’m reading it wrong, “housing capacity remains uncertain,” it’s not addressed, yet. But as a nervous parent, I’d assume the worse and hope for the best.