Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

We will be fully vaccinated the first week in April and plan to visit Carleton and St. Olaf, both only offer walking around campus on your own. We also plan to visit Hamilton which is also an on your own tour. St. Lawrence is having an admitted student day and Clark is having an admitted student mingle and one-on-one tours. Furman is offering one-on-one tours to admitted students. We are going to try to do it all at once. Still waiting on Williams and Middlebury.

@NateandAllisMom Thanks for the heads up! Iā€™ve been kinda absorbing all the notices and havenā€™t even checked the virtual sessions they announced for admits! Iā€™m going to make sure to join the UCSD and UCI virtual sessions now and will ask. S21 is still not 100% on either. I thought UCSD was the destination but then UCI has been gaining steam with friends deciding to go there. But I think the phalanx or armor is being cracked as a couple kids are debating on UCR or Davis. :joy: So we may have to go to campus if Google Earth isnā€™t sufficient.

3 Likes

Any thoughts on timing of accepting WL offer and if it would be beneficial to do so well before the May 1 deadline. Thinking that they may view you as more likely to attend if you accept quickly. Or am I overthinking this, along with everything elseā€¦

Mine too! I am pretty active and I had trouble on the stairs on a very hot summer day. That combined with the lack of merit offered made it come off the list pretty quickly.

1 Like

Youā€™re overthinking this.

2 Likes

Thanks for keeping it real! Better you than my husband or D.

4 Likes

I over thought it. I asked D to quickly accept her WL offer. Though now, itā€™s irrelevant.

1 Like

Oy. Glad I havenā€™t seen this for UCSD so far. My son is still on the fence and four more decisions still to come in - but UCSD is near the top at the moment. I hate being late to any party, especially housing!

3 Likes

Fellow over-thinker here. #twinsies

6 Likes

Whatā€™s the downside of accepting a WL spot? Itā€™s just a click, right?

1 Like

Same. It would be such a rush for S to get accepted there as a notch in the belt (and a screw you to UCLA for WLing him, LOL), but I just donā€™t think he would thrive at Cal.

2 Likes

I think the majority of parents on here are over-thinkers. And, yes, I am a fellow member. :nerd_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

16 Likes

Ugghhh, even though Iā€™ve heard Colby is moving away from the way it was, I still made the stupid decision to watch the Colby Life Documentary. Sounds/looks like a terrible place! Iā€™m not sure how quickly it could change. I donā€™t know why I did that because itā€™s probably where she is going to end up. Stupid me.

@sccaflagger74 I would visit if you have the opportunity. It is better to see the campus and know whether you would accept a spot if you get the call, rather than scrambling. He may rule out a school or two after visiting, also.

Just when I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, D had pretty much decided on Smith barring a miracle of getting into an IVy, she got accepted to Bryn Mawr today with a 40k per year presidential scholarship. So, we are off to Philly lol. I know, good problems to have but Iā€™m the person who reads the end of the book first. This is KILLING me!!:joy:

32 Likes

We may be joining you! D also in at Bryn Mawr with a generous merit scholarship.

23 Likes

What did you see? Iā€™m 100 percent sure that Colby is not an awful place!!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve only watched seven minutes of CLD so far, but itā€™s a well done ā€œdocumentary.ā€ Itā€™s not just a rah rah piece and includes a variety of scenes and a diverse group of students. Itā€™s a snapshot that I wouldnā€™t expect from many universities.

The work hard and play harder mentality reminds me of investment banking. Itā€™s interesting that few take discussions beyond the classroom but really how many college students do, unless youā€™re at Chicago. :slight_smile:

Itā€™s a documentary called Colby Life.

It is just a click. May change based on what happens with her other schools, but she could always withdraw if needed. But yes, no harm in doing it.

1 Like