Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

I hate to break up all the WINNING around here, but I was wrong about CA vaccination supply.

People over 50 start 4/1 and everyone else over 16 on 4/15.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/California-announces-date-when-everyone-16-and-16053224.php

12 Likes

I seem to remember reading that the UCs do random auditing of apps. I am sure Yale does it. But you are right though, most liars get away with it.

1 Like

@anaray… the admissions process is random. My daughter was rejected from UNC EA but accepted to JHU and UVA in RD. I think there is lot of yield control going on with the increased number of applications.

7 Likes

It makes me feel better to hear that. My D was waitlisted at UNC and rejected at JHU. It seems random. Your D and my D seem like they get opposite results too!

1 Like

Congrats!

You are so funny! You have to start believing in him! I told you a month ago that if you patiently wait, you will get all Cal admissions!

Great! Congratulations!

1 Like

Congratulations!

Great news! Congrats!

@anaray I feel like a jerk parent right now saying that I think my kid is likely going to turn down Berkeley. I wished we had a Berkeley/UCLA swap. But among the UC’s, he’s going to decide between UCI and UCSD. I guess this is where your kid’s fit comes into the spotlight and doesn’t matter what you think. I’m good with this. I truly am. Just feel a little guilty because I think only 5 kids got into Berkeley from our school. Come 4/6, if we hear good news, he may ditch plans to learn how to surf.

10 Likes

Same here! My D was rejected.

Congratulations! Is she going to UVA?

I asked in the college specific threads, but thought I try here too:

D21 deciding between UCLA and UCB – which one has a reputation for either grade inflation or grade deflation? She’ll be studying something to do with the environment, either policy or science. But no hard sciences like engineering or premed type classes. She wants to go where the grading is easier. Lol.

@homerdog, wow!!! What a week! Congratulations on all the great news!

1 Like

Unless she gets into an Ivy League school, which I am not sure at this point, she will attend UVA or UMich based on scholarship and aid. She got into UVA Echols and they have given $22000 in grants, scholarship and aids and 12000 in loans and work-study program. In total she got $34000 as a preliminary aid, which we can negotiate later. Also she is an Echols Scholar.
On the other hand she also got into UMich Honors College. Right Financial Aid is not good from there. But she has applied for scholarships and if she gets it, she will have to rethink.

9 Likes

@bestmom888 Berkeley is known for grade deflation

1 Like

Not at all! You have the right to feel happy. Don’t feel that way! I am sooo happy for you that your son got into many schools after you patiently waited. They will end up wherever it is best for them and I completely trust the AOs making decisions especially AFTER UCB REJECTION. Yesterday I was telling my D that she applied for Chemistry major and no recommendations or test scores for UC. Her ECs are all related to medical field. So most likely she will be rejected. And today it happened.

I hear you. My kid was waitlisted at Williams and U of Chicago, rejected from MIT and has a Jefferson Scholarship/Echols full ride to UVA so these decisions are all over the place. We are trying to get to know UVA and want to tour it but her school requires a 2 week quarantine if we leave the state to go and visit.

6 Likes

You are so correct. But on the other hand I know certainly your D is going to get into Princeton/Harvard/Yale trinity with her Ecstatics and Stats. Mark my words and tell me on April 6. I can’t wait to hear from you on that day.

With her ECs and Stats. Autocorrect mess!

1 Like