Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

Very disappointing for your D! The local schools are back in person and most of the private schools nearby have been in person for a majority of the school year so maybe they’ll consider opening up the campus next month. Congratulations to your D! She has excellent choices!

1 Like

Mixed decisions this morning. Denied at Midd but in at Davidson!

Super happy with this outcome. D only applied to Middlebury because it had no essays. She really didn’t see a fit but I insisted she find some schools with no essays to add. She was approached for an alumni interview and didn’t even respond so no surprise at the deny.

I’m a huge fan of Davidson and I hope she’ll consider!

31 Likes

Yes, but no one is suggesting preventing people who want the vaccine from getting it.

The question was about mandates to force people who don’t want the vaccine to get it and could that be a game changer for some.

1 Like

S accepted by Davidson.

Love Davidson (S attended a Duke Tip summer program there many years ago) but won’t be accepting. :cry:

14 Likes

Has he already chosen another school?

As a parent of two Davidson kids (one class of 2018 and the other class of 2022), I could not agree more. Great school. Great choice. And it’s 4-5 grand cheaper than the comparable NESCAC. And the weather is great too!

7 Likes

Not yet. But GWU (and heart of DC) stole his heart. Three more decisions coming before he can decide (or it’s decided for him)!

ETA: But really I believe only one school at this point would he take over GW. The school he ED’d at but got deferred from in Dec. :bear:

8 Likes

My D21 is also in at Smith and. Bryn Mawr (more merit here too), and hadn’t visited either. She and H went to try to see the schools this week! She could only tell that BMC was pretty from the outside and that she thought she’d “fit in.” She managed a more of a “tour” of Smith with a student and really liked it. They visited MHC, which they said was beautiful but no one was around. D said “how am I supposed to choose?” Personally, I think I love Smith for her, but again, it’s not like it was when our older S could really tell by visiting colleges. I think it takes a leap of faith.

10 Likes

My daughter was waitlisted at CMUs Computer Science School…

Admitted to Boston University (engineering) with $25000 presidential scholarship.

24 Likes

Very happy to say son got accepted into BU and he listed this as his first choice on NMSC and received the 25k presidential scholarship as well !!!

24 Likes

Sooo…after yesterday’s disaster, son just got accepted to CMU! Am I allowed to join the WL bar even though he’s in zero waitlists? :grin: Seems to be all or nothing with my kid! But I surely could use that glass of :wine_glass:

31 Likes

D is in to Davidson!!! So excited over here. This one and Wake are definitely her top two as of now , so she will decline others…and then stilll wait for the rest of course.

24 Likes

The question was not about forcing anyone to get the vaccine if they didn’t want it. It was about potentially requiring the vaccine for admitted students to attend particular colleges. Attending a college is a privilege and one makes a voluntary choice to comply with attendance requirements or not.

I understand your concern about your child with type 1 allergy(ies). My D has multiple type 1 allergies. She got her first dose of the vaccine this week and did just fine, thankfully. The risk to her of contracting the virus is much worse than any risks associated with getting the vaccine. And I believe that was the point of the prior post - the risks associated with contracting the virus are worse than any potential risks associated with the vaccine. But again, people make voluntary choices about the vaccine. Nothing is being forced.

8 Likes

We have family who went there…don’t know why my son wouldn’t apply. Seems like a great school! Congrats!

1 Like

@ganseliesel yeah because WL Bar always need a designated drinker.

13 Likes

This happened to my older son a few years ago. Got waitlisted for CS but accepted to Electrical engineering. Ultimately, did not attend. Good luck! Fingers crossed the WL’s will move faster this year. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I went to UMass then lived in Northampton for 7 years… because it is just an incredible small/ college town- for its size great art / music/ restaurants. Smith just sits right there in the heart of it:)

5 Likes

S21 priority WL at CMU and accepted at Northwestern! Been a wild week with Cal acceptance on Thursday which he is leaning towards.

20 Likes

The family I told you about with one at Colgate sent the other to Davidson. They both loved their schools:) congrats to your kiddo!

3 Likes

D has added Wake and Davidson to her acceptances!

30 Likes