Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

I have a kid ready to graduate from Oberlin, she has loved her time there!

And they are starting to offer the vaccine to 16+ in Ohio!

5 Likes

Same here. Boarded the waitlist train to Vandy.

6 Likes

I think we are done. S21 is not holding his breath for the ivies, nor the WL. He is deciding between Umass, Penn State, Brandeis and Colby.

21 Likes

So we did some driving tours last week with S21. It was actually pretty helpful for him. Case had been pretty high on his list and I really encouraged the visit as early on he was a not city kid, as soon as he saw campus he knew it wasn’t for him. I think the virtual tours really skew the reality. He liked University of Rochester a lot - and it’s moved up high on the list. We need to figure out what other acceptances are actual contenders - as he’d like to go out of state, I’m not sure there are many that will top University of Rochester, but he still has a few weeks to mull things over.

3 Likes

According to various new sources, Covid cases in Texas have gone down recently. Starting today, everyone 16 and over can get the vaccine, which is great! I agree - we need to get vaccines in arms quickly. My fear is that the Covid vaccine isn’t as effective against the new strains, but it’s better than nothing. My mother’s hospital in NJ was hit hard when the pandemic began, with over a thousand Covid patients and many, many deaths (including numerous employees). Everyone has been optimistic there until recently. They’re starting to get an increase in Covid patients and hospitalizations. Something is brewing up there. Just really hoping that the vaccines help stop another Covid wave. This pandemic has been like a bad nightmare for us all.

Glad to hear that! We really enjoyed our tour of Oberlin and the campus is beautiful. But it was hard to get a sense of the “vibe” because very few students were out and about, and we weren’t allowed inside any buildings. Being from NYC, D is also concerned about how tiny the town is. Did your D study abroad? Maybe I can PM you with a few more questions?

1 Like

Ours is 8th waitlist. Winning the waitlist race! 8 shots in the waitlist bar today!

7 Likes

I saw that news report on Brazil too. Honestly trying not to think about the possibilities but will be watching the next few weeks. Seriously this has been such a stressful rollercoaster experience. We are WL anyway but won’t make any deposit until right before the deadline.

1 Like

SCU
gorgeous campus
 :rose:

1 Like

As of Friday, NJ had the most new cases in the US again. I think it has to be the variant. And the extreme difficulty in actually getting vaccine appointments! They seem to finally be opening up in the last couple weeks, but I’m not confident in D21 getting her shot anytime soon.

2 Likes

There are so many NYC kids at Oberlin. I would reach out to the admissions office to see if they could connect your D with some current students from NYC. I know that my D was able to connect with Oberlin students who had gone to her public high school, and they were enthusiastic about their experiences.

1 Like

Omg! I’m so sorry!!!

8???

We need to start a gofundme account for you to help you pay for all those WL bar shots.

:beer::clinking_glasses::tumbler_glass::cocktail::tropical_drink::maté:

7 Likes

Waitlist at Vandy for D21. She claimed the spot right away.

9 Likes

Something is going on in NJ/NY right now, and most likely a new variant spreading. But Nateand AllisMom is right - it’s best not to think too much about the possibilities. The vaccines should help :crossed_fingers:

There is a NYC variant that’s spreading like crazy in the NYC metro area. :frowning: New York City Coronavirus Variant B.1.526: What We Know

2 Likes

Not to get political, but I blame the whole anti-science/anti-facts movement on the failure of our elementary and secondary schools. Our failure to instill in our children a respect for the rigorous process of scientific investigation and an understanding of our shared history.

10 Likes

D21 waitlisted at Vanderbilt as well. She did not accept the spot because she was accepted to UVA on thursday (after an ED deferral OOS) and that is where is wants to go.
Question for you all (first timer here)
should she be rescinding her other acceptances right away (paid UVA deposit over the weekend)? Not sure how that works. Advice? Is there any reason to hold off until she gets more info from UVA?

9 Likes

Here too. My D was waitlisted by Vandy. She did not accept her spot on the waitlist. Moving on and loving the schools that love her!

17 Likes

Thanks for sharing this article. It states that as of March 21, “coronavirus variants accounted for over 60 percent of new infections in New York City.” Looks like NYC has all the variants now, even the dreaded P.1 variant. It makes sense why cases are increasing once again. Not much we can do about it, other than to get vaccinated as soon as possible.

1 Like

@ILtwinmom I joined two pages where my son is undecided. They’re very helpful and understand you’ve not finalized.

1 Like