Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

On Homerdog’s thread we are making predictions about which school her D will choose.

You daughter has lots of great choices to choose from also, so we can try to predict which school she’ll choose.

2 Likes

Do you mean the expected financial aid? That is a good idea.

Does Georgetown have merit scholarships? Or are you talking about need based aid picking up tuition for you guys?

Oh ok. That makes sense. I think we should find the ranking, financial aid and setting, urban vs. college town etc.

I know 4 kids were accepted in my D’s friend group, but I think they all went EA. They were all high stats with test scores and close to full pay.

I am not 100 percent sure if that is need based or not. We have an EFC of $34000. They gave us $51000. The tuition is like $54000 and the room and board is like $16000. The personal expense is like $4000. It says GU scholarship on the financial aid page, although they require need component for the scholarship too. So it is a bit confusing even though we will take it!

5 Likes

@anaray have you guys been to Georgetown? It definitely felt urban and the campus felt very tight to both of our kids. When one thinks of GT, you picture that one Gothic building that’s on a lot of their literature but it also has its fair share of brutalist buildings too.

2 Likes

Is anyone going there?

I have never been to Georgetown although we have been to DC many times, almost 3 years back. Never thought about college visits by then. What is it been by tight? Is it like a small community?

That’s fantastic!

No, like no green space and the buildings all on top of each other. We were surprised because it’s not in the city proper and thought it would be more spread out.

I just looked up GT and merit out of curiosity. They don’t give merit scholarships so your package is based on need and it sounds like a good one!

Thank you!

Oh. Thank you! Now it makes sense. I wonder why they didn’t plant anything around? I was a bit confused as our EFC is 34000 and when I calculate right now we may have to pay more like $23000. Usually I have seen other colleges paying less than the need and here they are paying more than the need. Almost like $11000 more. That confused me.

They’re all waiting for more decisions. I think it’s a great fit for one of them, but the other 3 were shotgunning a lot of schools.

Georgetown is definitely in the “city proper” but like many urban campuses, it is in a mixed use area of residential and commercial businesses. I worked there for several years, though my office was off campus down the street. It is not, however, like George Washington, which does not have a real defined campus like Georgetown does. GWU is walking distance from Georgetown to give perspective. For college students who like being in the heart of things, versus being on a rural or small town campus, it is in a great location with lots of restaurants, nightlife, and culture. The C&O towpath and Crescent Trail are accessible right down the street for lovely runs/bike rides along the Potomac River.

Edited for typo.

7 Likes

Exactly! Georgetown has a distinct campus with a surrounding wall which is very attractive in my opinion. It is located in one of the most expensive parts of the city so don’t expect a huge campus.
In contrast, NYU and GWU don’t have a distinct campus surrounded by a wall - they are both collections of buildings on the city streets.

2 Likes

Reading your description this seems like a dream place for my daughter. Thank you!

2 Likes

@anaray congratulations to your daughter. Sounds like a great option for her!

If your daughter is interested in public policy, you can’t go wrong with Georgetown in my opinion. Probably one of the best options available. As I mentioned above, it has a small but attractive campus.

1 Like

Thank you!