Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

@jntwinmama Regents has perks worth more than the $$, TBH!! Class registration priority. Housing registration priority. The class registration priority is worth its weight in gold.

3 Likes

Regents at UCSB $5000/year, honors housing, NO priority registration
Regents at UCD $7500/year, honors housing, priority registration.

@camasite UCSB CCS is the College of Creative Studies at UCSB - a phenomenal opportunity for the right student.

3 Likes

I feel for the kid - I do. But kids with incredible stats are getting annihilated this year.

In 2018, my best friend and college roommate (Go Bears!) had a S18 who got into various Ivies, UChicago, JHU, etc. with the grades and test scores to back it up. Dinged at UCLA, waitlisted at Cal. He’s at HYP (one of them), killing the game.

This year, same guy’s D21 (similar grades, no test) rejected from UCB, UCLA, UCSB and waitlisted at UCSD. Got into Top Ten LACs.

UCSB is No. 7 public school with a great CS program. Tell your friend’s kid to take UCSB with Regents and keep it moving.

4 Likes

I second this - beautiful campus, nice mid-sized school in a charming small city with easy access to outdoor recreation. About midway between Seattle and Vancouver.

1 Like

SCU? :grin: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Totally agree. This is a good get.

2 Likes

Santa Clara University? That’s my guess.

1 Like

Yep.

1 Like

It’s the college of Creative Studies at UCSB. Very small with lots of freedom and individual attention. Probably deserves more attention than it gets.

5 Likes

Very strong possibility. Very warm, not foresty location though.

@MommaLue yesssss! Congratulations!!! :tada::balloon::confetti_ball:

1 Like

Long day here after my son was at tennis practice and couldn’t check his notifications. Maybe it’s too bad he had to check at all, lol. After a streak of no rejections until yesterday, he had another 2 today, but fortunately we are now done and no more added WL to deal with.

To sum it up:

Acceptances: Miami (OH) w/full tuition scholarship for CS, Purdue CS, UVA Engineering/CS, Michigan Engineering/CS, and UIUC James Honors Scholar Engineering Prep (not his top choice major)

Waitlist: UIUC for CS, UNC, GaTech, Vanderbilt (declined W/L due to their weak CS program), Northeastern, Northwestern

Rejected: Duke, Penn, Cornell after ED Deferral

Committed to Michigan very quickly, so I think he had done his research and knew it was a good fit, great CS program only a few spots lower than Cornell and happy when he realized it wasn’t as big as a school as he initially thought. Not we can move forward that our deposit is paid and move to the next phase. Apparently, housing apps already opened today so we have a lot to catch up on.

Congrats to everyone!

35 Likes

I am glad we are finally done after tonight, I found that more stressful than my child did! Accepted to Cornell, ND, Michigan, UVA, USC, BC, American, and CU Boulder. I think it will be Cornell or ND…

24 Likes

Interesting. So it’s kind of like an interdisciplinary honors college? Never heard of it but it looks super cool. CA is just a whole separate universe. Schools that would be nationally known in any other state seem to vanish into the background in CA. Probably because many of them aren’t national athletic powers so they rarely get mentioned outside of CA.

3 Likes

Final results, thank goodness it’s over!:

Rejected: Brown after ED deferral

Accepted: Cornell, Barnard, Vassar, Wesleyan, Smith, BMC, Mt Holyoke, Oberlin, Scripps, Occidental, American, Boulder (some with good merit)

WL: Pomona, Northwestern

What a crazy year. Congrats to all on this year’s application season. Good luck with your decisions!

29 Likes

Georgetown neighbor here!

@Camasite UCSB is an amazing school!! Great college town, too. The campus is beautiful and if we are talking overall ranking, you hear a lot of talks about UCI and UCSD, but UCSB is ranked higher and only behind UCLA and Berkeley. UCSB gets hidden. If I were doing Creative Studies, UCSB is where I would want to go (and controls/ChemE because some of my best hires have been from UCSB).

3 Likes

Some interesting info in this piece. In an unusual admissions year, California’s selective universities more closely evaluate students | EdSource

5 Likes

CMU has the School of Computer Science (SCS). CCS is the College of Creative Studies at UCSB.

Got it. Thank you. Too many acronyms :frowning_face: