Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

I think what gets overlooked sometimes with the high stat rejections at Cal Poly is that they ask for supplemental information on leadership, extracurricular and employment hours and not national awards for academic clubs. There are so many kids with very high stats that pursue competitions and awards very aggressively. There is also a group who maintain part time jobs and lead active clubs and are very involved with sports at their school.

I am not suggesting that I know what Cal Poly does, but it does seem like they are looking for a well rounded high achieving kids. Again, I am not looking to cause controversy.

1 Like

He’s a better man than I am
lol

2 Likes

Ya, but admitted Stanford REA and denied at SLO? :grinning:

The other factor to consider with Cal Poly admissions is that they cap their weighted GPA at 4.25, so those with extraordinarily high (weighted) GPA’s, I think, are considered the same as an applicant that “just squeaks by” (tongue-in-cheek, of course) with a 4.25 weighted GPA.

2 Likes

The Stanford REA kid was waitlisted. I later saw mom say he was a legacy. But I am sure he was a stellar candidate. I think that the things that put him over the top at Stanford and other places are not seen/considered by Cal Poly.

1 Like

@loveorangecats I think you’re right and I would think not many kids have a ton of national awards and completion on average. Many kids that do have the high stats also have leadership and school activities, and part-time job, so it’s quiet a mystery on their formula.

Right. And for instance, Cal poly does not know the difference between a kid who is an Olympic level club swimmer vs. a kid who was the slowest one on the school JV team. They don’t know if a kid volunteered at a research institution or volunteered in the library at school.

@jntwinmama i remember that it didn’t require a ton of info. They asked if S21 had leadership, hours, I believe, work. The app process took him less than 30 min because he was able to port over the transcript info based on how our school has it set up. I thought, “Wait, how can they discern from such a broad-based approach,” but didn’t think much more of it until we got into the decision phase.

1 Like

Cal Poly also gives extra points, if the EC is related to or in your proposed major.

Late to the game. Congrats to all!

Accepted:
Occidental (Presidential Scholar)
SMU (Provost and BBA Scholar)
LMU (President’s Scholar)
Pepperdine (Seaver Regents Scholar)
UCI
UCSB
UCSD
UCLA

Waitlisted:
Vanderbilt

Rejection:
Northwestern
USC
Stanford

11 Likes

If this is about my kid, he was admitted REA at Stanford and waitlisted at SLO. AMC and other academic national awards, and was also nominated by our city and awarded Certificate of recognition from the CA State assembly for highly impactful EC over 2 years that led to city legislation. Wasn’t a leader of a school club or anything but showed initiative and leadership in this EC. He never hustled for an “officer position”, and never expected any recognition. One summer day in the middle of the pandemics, this lady from the City Council showed up at out house and brought the certificate. Also, played a sport at a very high level with multiple team awards. Never had a paying job, though.

8 Likes

It is your kid. His outstanding qualifications would not have been apparent on Cal Poly’s app.

1 Like

I don’t think it has anything to do with Tufts trying to make money off of insurance. I think it is purely that Kaiser does not operate in MA. That was the disqualifier. This was one of the paragraphs that we had to review when submitting our private insurance and waiving the Tufts insurance: “I understand that a health insurance plan that provides coverage through a closed network of providers, not reasonably accessible to me in the area where I attend school, for all but emergency services does not qualify for a waiver. Examples of closed networks include students enrolled in MassHealth Limited or the Children’s Medical Security Program or the Health Safety Net, Kaiser Permanente Insurance and out of state Medicaid programs.”

A few students on CC mentioned getting acceptances from the U of Kentucky even though they hadn’t applied there. U.K. accidentally accepted half a million students. University of Kentucky Accidentally Admits 500,000 Students

3 Likes

@CheddarcheeseMN OMG

1 Like

Inequality is definitely an issue in the UK educational system, with students from private schools vastly over-represented at top UK universities. Private secondary schools in the UK also appear less able than US counterparts (I believe) to offer financial aid, thereby locking out many capable students whose families are unable to afford the fees.

Although A level course offerings are similar across state and private schools, my sense is that the quality of teaching and pace differ, sometimes substantially, leading to quite disparate outcomes in terms of A level exam results.

There are initiatives at different levels to address this inequality, from outreach efforts by top universities to enrich programs aimed at state school students to establishment of “magnet” state schools (a few of which have achieved impressive results in getting students into top universities).

2 Likes

My son was one of them. He received a congratulatory email saying he was accepted despite never even visiting the school’s website. Not sure what list he was on. Lol.

1 Like

They’re going to drop in the rankings when their new yield rate is computed.

3 Likes

Omg :scream: I thought that once school sends by accident an acceptance, they can’t take it back, is that true? But even then with 500000, omg what would they do? :joy::joy::joy:

I have that crazy thread I started (D21 Journey) and I updated it this morning but thought I should update here too.

D is going to Colgate!

Final results

Accepted
LMU (with presidential $30k/year)
SCU (with $13k/year)
Furman (with $29k/year)
Denver (with $20k/year)
Boston College
U Richmond
Davidson
Lehigh
Colgate

Waitlist
Wake Forest
Denison

Denied
Middlebury
Vanderbilt

Went TO to all. It was our Covid silver lining.

48 Likes

Congrats to your D! :slight_smile: