Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

Came across an interesting report from an enrollment consultant - let’s see if this link is allowed https://www.carnegiedartlet.com/media/uploads/file/carnegiedartlet_fa21students_april2021.pdf

Only 2 in 5 students had fully committed to a school by mid-March. This amount (42%) is about 10% lower than the same time last year for the Class of 2020 (53%).

3 Likes

Why. is. he. looking at housing options at College C.

2 Likes

On the “premed” thing. I’m a former biology major and graduate student who taught undegrad bio as a TA and have been around science departments a long time.

“Premed” undergrads within science departments have a reputation for not particularly caring about scientific inquiry but only about grades. “Is it going to be on the test?” and so forth.

Your child might be dreaming about med school. But while they are an undergrad and especially within their department I wouldn’t suggest they go around telling everyone they are “premed.” It is a surefire way to tell everyone you aren’t there for the actual science, you just want high grades so you can get into med school. Professors have even been known to pay more attention to the students who are there for the actual science.

6 Likes

I haven’t told anyone yet, you’re hearing here it first. I’m gong back to school and I’m a “pre-med.” :roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

in New Haven?

3 Likes

@Camasite 100%. TAs know, professors know, and by second year, your fellow classmates who are there for the actual STEM know. They’ve been there before. After the first two Chem/Calc series classes, the 20-30% pretenders will get distilled. That’s why I tell my son to keep his head down and keep it between him and his advisor. To me, it’s almost analogous to gender reveal parties. Aside from your parents and maybe your immediate siblings, do people care if you’re having a baby boy or girl? Literally, nobody cares.

Me! I graduated from Tufts. :slight_smile:

Couldn’t afford to send my kid there though. :frowning:

3 Likes

Maybe college discussions are just microcosms of the rest of it. There are braggy people who will brag about anything they can. We all know people like that, who name drop, etc. I typically chalk it up to fragile egos that need constant validation, and I have to say that I prefer to not spend time around people like that (and also the constant one-upper types of people). And I don’t wish to live in a community where people judge and are judged by status/prestige indicators, whether they be what kind of car you drive, what college you went to, etc. Normal people can go to great schools and still be normal people, it’s possible :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I majored in pre-mature in college. I don’t brag about it.

10 Likes

I’m taking my talents to Boston.

Bunker Hill Community College, where Robin Williams (RIP) taught in Good Will Hunting.

7 Likes

Interesting tidbit about waitlist numbers

https://twitter.com/JonBoeckenstedt/status/1386681808197066754

ETA: it says 20% of students are on a waitlist that they hope to get pulled from.

2 Likes

But how does this compare to prior years?

1 Like

Also how many are actually unique students, since we know many students are on multiple waitlists.

3 Likes

He artfully leaves that part off. Still think it’s interesting.

My guess is the number of people on a waitlist is a lot higher this year.

Kids are getting off the WL at ND and all the schools were really putting on the pressure to commit. Yield must be lower than anticipated at this point.

6 Likes

Does waitlist —> acceptance affect their yield? In a year like this year where apps are up drastically, unique number of applicants only went up by 1%, and there’s the test optional apps that could impact their published GPA/Test Score stats, I wonder if they are using the WL to manage their stats so it doesn’t impact their ranking? Just Admit It had an episode on this which I thought was fascinating but it wasn’t clear to me if the freshman profile stats and yield which impact their school bonds and ratings are treated differently with WL. I interpreted it as they’d look at the list and see who has the best stats to help their average and then they’d call and ask for sure if the kid would take the spot. This satisfies their stat profile and their yield.

2 Likes

I doubt they will be worried about reporting their SAT ranges, as the ranges will have gone up dramatically with test optional. However, maybe there is some other reason they might be looking for high scores on their waitlist.

For yield, my understanding is that the waitlist allows both yield management and higher yield. Waitlist yield is high because most schools call students on the phone to ask them whether they are still interested in enrolling before the school gives them an official acceptance. Not everyone from the waitlist will say yes on the phone, so they might need to make a lot of calls, but of those that do say yes, a large portion will enroll in the short timeframe following. (At least, this is what I gleaned from Rick Clark’s podcast on waitlists a few weeks ago.)

1 Like

How the waitlist stats merge into the overall stats is a bit of a mystery and is school specific. From what I’ve seen schools that care about their stats include the WL admits in their yield calc because it’s 100%, but sometimes they don’t include their academic and/or personal stats in the class description stats.

^that’s in pre COVID years. This year is obviously it’s own beast!

When reporting data on the common data set, total numbers should include enrolled students who came off the waitlist.

2 Likes

I hope you are on to something here with the test scores/stats. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes