Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

BHCC is legit. This was years ago, but I remember reading an article in the Boston Globe about BHCC students attending for 2 years, hitting it out of the park academically and then transferring to places like Wellesley, among other schools. You get the degree from the more selective college, but for a lot less.

2 Likes

I have no reason to doubt that BHCC is legit. But I just want to be able to brag that Iā€™m a ā€œpre-med in Boston.ā€

And then if someone asks me which school in Boston, then Iā€™ll tell them ā€œWell, Iā€™d rather not brag, but it has an ā€˜Hā€™ in the name.ā€ :rofl:

19 Likes

lol! Seriously I had no idea of a lazy river at college! It was enough for me to look into it for 2nd daughters options in 2 years! lol

3 Likes

Funny you mentioned thisā€¦ on the webinars we attended from varying schools it did seem ā€œpressuredā€. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same feeling?

2 Likes

Does anyone know where I can find the OOS acceptance rate at University of Georgia?

Interesting angle and it makes sense. Look to the high stat full pay student first. Although I do think schools will get creative next year in how they report their numbers.

2 Likes

It would be nice if they did that (for my 35 ACT kid), but as others have alluded to, kids with mediocre scores didnā€™t send them. So the averages are already inflated for this year. If they already overlooked a high-stat kid in the normal admission cycle, Iā€™m not sure why they would consider them from the waitlist (unless of course they have tons of manpower to make phone calls and figure out who would come).

@NateandAllisMom and @rbc2018 Keeping my fingers and all extremities crossed for your kiddos because I know they deserve to get off the waitlist!!

I was fascinated by Just Admit It podcast Semester 2, Episode 7. Part of me actually thinks test optional hurts the university stats for the schools that care. I didnā€™t know anything about their school bond ratings (I figured the US News R&Rankings would be important to them), but there was a moment where the hosts talked about how a school that gets about 70% of the kids who applied test optional canā€™t possibly have 70% of the kids accepted as test optional. It does impact the fancy stats wouldnā€™t reflect the entire class entering Fall 2021. I think the only school that didnā€™t use this approach was Boston University where I think the acceptance profile reflected the applicant % test optional profile. I want to say BU was the example they used.

They also went into this holy crud moment where AOs are now going to have to somehow anniversary the application growth rate next year because this year will be in the base for next year (poor Colgate and NYU AOs, TBH). I always figured they would keep next year TO because the incremental funds they would get from application fees, but most importantly, they gotta glidepath somehow back to normal years and normal rate increase. In the business world, we have to anniversary the crazy spike in sales from this past year since itā€™s in our base and no one in the corporate world would be satisfied with a flat forecast next fiscal year. They wonā€™t care that you had pandemic-level growth rate. Shareholders just care that you gotta still deliver more than previous year.

3 Likes

@dar222 I did a search and could only find the entering class from last year. I wonder if they are still waiting to get the WL info for this year? It looks like 15% OOS last year.

Itā€™s interesting that Iā€™ve read that the U of Alabamaā€™s top represented state is Illinois but that state isnā€™t in Georgiaā€™s top ten. Only 15% of UGAā€™s came from OOS.

Alabama states that it ā€œsaw an increase in the number of in-state undergraduate studentsā€ but still only 39.7% come from Alabama and 56.5% come from elsewhere in the United States. Thatā€™s not freshman class but total enrollment where transfers tend to skew in-state. The leading comment about increased in-state students may reflect some pressure to recruit locally.

1 Like

It will work out! My oldest at the last minute (early August) decided he wasnā€™t going to college at all! Now, 6 years later he has no regrets and bottom line is heā€™s a happy well adjusted young adult. Of course, I still have to chase him down to get him to return a call/text which he is not good at, but when his siblings call or text him and he responds it is a good feeling - especially when I know heā€™s more than willing to help them when theyā€™re stuck on something school related.

3 Likes

I believe it about Illinois. There has been a HUGE push here for people to go to U-Alabama because kids can for free. I canā€™t tell you how many people have told me my kid should apply there and he would get in the Honors program blah blah. One of my best friendā€™s daughter was deciding on 'Bama vs American. Ultimately she just couldnā€™t pull that trigger even though she was in the honors program, dorms, free, the full works. I think there is 1 person this year from my sonā€™s class going there, but thatā€™s not someone who would get the full ride but has a sibling there who does have it.

2 Likes

Thank you. The waitlists arenā€™t imperative, but it has been a disappointing process overall. She is headed to UT Austin and has gotten into some great research and scholars programs there, so all good. I just wasnā€™t expecting her to go 1,000 miles away, so that part is an adjustment for mama.

8 Likes

This statistic has bewildered me how colleges think they can accept the exact percentage of TO kids as applied. Inherently you have to think that the ā€œother statisticsā€ and qualifications of the TO group would be a bit lower. While you ABSOLUTELY have super qualified kids who had NO chance to take tests, the TO policy also encouraged a group that might have been ā€œnot quiteā€ qualified throw their hat in the ring. So yes, if the holistic assessment of the TO group is absolutely equivalent, then the admit rates should be the sameā€¦but I doubt that was the case.

4 Likes

Totally agree. I just saw a survey today someone posted upthread where the kids who didnā€™t have sufficient scores and wanted to omit them totally outnumbered the kids who couldnā€™t test at all. I think it would be fairer if you had to reveal everything - all test scores, attempts, etc. In my Sā€™ case he would have been hurt by that policy since his single sitting ACT was far better than his single sitting SAT (and PSAT) and all were lopsided in the same subjects. A lot of information there to help AOs.

I felt like the colleges were pressured to show they treated TOs fairly and at some schools possibly being in the test score bucket may not have been helpful this year. OTOH, a few schools have admitted to accepting a significantly higher proportion of testers, and my S might end up going to one of those. Net net more kids are going to unexpected places this year and waitlisted a lot.

5 Likes

@tristatecoog University of Alabama is talked a lot at my sonā€™s school. Almost all the kids talk about Alabama and Arizona. Itā€™s a drastic change for CA kids but every year, we get 2-4 kids who go to UAL/AZ and the key driver is the generous amount of money they get. S21 tends to have more Asian friends (our school is 20-30% APAs, I think) so the convos have been had and I know itā€™s really tough for the APA kids to make the decision to go to Alabama with all the perception about the state (and some of it reality), but Iā€™ve seen a couple of APAs accept Alabama this year. Itā€™s such a great deal. For the test scores and GPAs they have, theyā€™re just ok in CA because the UCs are so dang competitive. However, for Alabama and AZ, it seems like those universities have been more of a safety and target than their own CA safeties and targets.

2 Likes

Yes- just a really weird situation. My daughter had one shot at ACT and one at SAT (6 mos after she stopped prepping for it!). She still submitted them and we hoped theyā€™d realize they were one shot scores. She still got into two T20 despite her scores being a bit under average! We feel lucky though!!! Now if she could only choose which school sheā€™ll be attendingā€¦

5 Likes

Free??? The only kids that get ā€œfreeā€ at BAMA are NMF, my 36 ACT, 1590 SAT, top 1% rank did not get anywhere near ā€œfreeā€.

3 Likes

Maybe just full tuition? I know the NHRP gets you free tuition for 4 yrs and 1 yr of housing and a truly 1k stipend. They kept sending my son mail about it.

3 Likes

@TVBingeWatcher2 NMF kids are not the only kids that get free rides to 'Bama. NMF are based off the PSAT not ACT or SAT. There are many kids that are not NMF that fall into that upper echelon category.

@Aguadecoco Exactly. They donā€™t stop contacting us or kids from our school. Mine couldā€™ve gone there for free - theyā€™re very up front about their scholarship levels. Not everyone can go for free, but clearly most can get some sort of scholarship. He had no interest in applying or going there. His safety that he wouldā€™ve gone to if he had no other options was Miami (OH) who also offered him a full ride and additional stipend/scholarship above tuition to attend (also their merit scholarships are clearly listed on their page). A good solid school that has a decent program and good job potential for what he wanted. For the graduating class of our high school from last year (so pre-covid) the average ACT was 27.5 so I guess itā€™s fair to say that most kids from our school would have gotten some sort of scholarship (not a full) to 'Bama and for those who really need the money and want warm weather, perhaps itā€™s an suitable option. Schools like Texas as you know are not generous with merit and not many from here can get into UF and qualify for the in state tuition options so unless they get big merit at Tulane or somewhere like ASU or UofA, for many it can be a 'Bama type school.