Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

@homerdog Congratulations on DU!

1 Like

S21 was admitted to WashU today! His feet havenā€™t touched the ground yet.

Congratulations to all of the acceptances out there!

It is bittersweet knowing that a lot of hearts are breaking right now and we are very mindful of this. Thinking of all of you and hoping for some good news soon!

43 Likes

Congrats, @kanfly! One in Dā€™s school is going there too! Great kid, great school!

@Solstice155ā€¦The nature just explained details of the dept, mentioned ask any Q, said hope you complete the application. They only have RD left.

Nice! Congratulations :confetti_ball:

Congratulations!

Congratulations @kanfly! I know a few people who went to Wash U and loved it!

So they donā€™t have any access to her stats or ECā€™s or letters yet, right? If they donā€™t, then cynical me would tend to think they are drumming up business to make sure she completes her app bc how could they be ā€œrecruitingā€ her (my words) if they donā€™t know anything about her yet?
Just my very humbled .02 as a parent not as any professional in the college application business.

2 Likes

@kanfly, Congratulations to your S!! Wonderful news!

Congratulations to your son!!! So very happy for him!!!

@123Mom123, right?? Soā€¦she just looked, on Naviance, they do have the recs already, have had them for 1.5 weeks. but the CA is not submitted. What can they see(obviously major?!) before they submit? The main essay is in there and all the demographics etc. Just need to add the supps. I just didnā€™t think they could see the CA before sending, but they clearly got her major from there and know it is in process I guess. And she sent scores directly, so they definitely have that.

Well thenā€¦if they have her scores, know her major, and have access to her reps, then I am less cynical. Maybe though all of those things intrigued them and they want to get a jump start on the next wave of applicants now that ED there is done (?) or winding down this week?

Tough call. But it does warrant attention to getting the app completed sooner than later maybe!!!

2 Likes

@2Devils, itā€™s so hard to say. @123Mom123 may have a point, esp. if they donā€™t have her full profile, just her scores and intended major. Is there a discussion for this school in the forum where you might check to see if others are receiving letters?

1 Like

Good point @Solstice155 about checking other forums to see if others getting letters. @2Devils

2 Likes

@kanfly ā€“ super duper happy on your Sā€™s admit!

@momtogkc ā€“ congrats on Denver admit and that nice merit $$!

@tellis6653 ā€“ congrats on BU! Such great news!

@Solstice155 ā€“ congrats on Middlebury! We visited 4 years ago ā€“ so lovely.

S21 got an EA admit into WPI this evening w/ $16k merit/year!

Itā€™s hard to know where this fits on his list. It has a lot to like on paper, but we just donā€™t have much familiarity or know anyone who went there. We were supposed to visit as part of a Northeast college visit swing back in March ā€“ sigh.

If anyone has insights to share, Iā€™m all ears either here or via DM! Anyway, S was happy to get in, but I think itā€™s all feeling a bit abstract to him right now.

14 Likes

I donā€™t know if this gives any insight but my daughter had something similar happen well before she started her applications. After registering for a tour fall a year ago, she received an email from the Chem department head asking if she had any questions and inviting her for a private tour after the group tour. The only thing we could think of that would have them interested was she had shared her 10th grade PSAT. She was the only kid on that tour who had been invited for a department tour. It was very niceā€¦ she had time with two professors and three students in the department building and after at a coffee house. (But she didnā€™t apply there. :woman_shrugging:)

ETA: They could also have her major from virtual tours, requests for information, etc. They usually ask for that whenever you sign up.

2 Likes

Excited to share that D21ā€™s admissions is complete! Heā€™s a Tennessee Volunteer!

After all the OOS visits we took, the undergrad research opportunities (on campus & at nearby ORNL) made UT his #1 choice. Oh, and UTā€™s connection to my new avatar reflects another big deal to him :wink:

Admitted to the Chancellorā€™s Honors Program. Will be submitting his app for the Haslam Scholars program tomorrow.

Awarded the maximum auto merit $$ which will put us close to free for undergrad!

37 Likes

@AlmostThere2018 Congratulations!

Awesome!!! What a great 4 years he has waiting for him! Congrats to your son!!

1 Like

Congratulations, @AlmostThere2018 and @seoace!

1 Like