Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

Wow does your school let you do that? Ours doesn’t let you count any. We need to have 4 years of PE. Although we are one of the only states that require that and it’s probably a good thing due to the amount of childhood obesity. If you play a JV or V sport you can waiver out of PE for a study hall but only during the sports season. My son is doing that now for tennis. He has waited 4 years for this, since tennis was cancelled last year when school closed.

My 17 year old son doesn’t use social media either. He doesn’t even have any accounts so can’t even scroll. He and his friends do use Discord.

2 Likes

I asked my daughter and she has no clue what discord is. I get the impression I should tell her to learn though.

1 Like

I’m in a private FB Covid Loss group (my grandma died of Covid in Dec) and there’s many people in the group who don’t want the vaccine, even though a close family member of theirs has died of Covid.

Feel awful about this one below. OP’s daughter by mistake clicked on Purdue summer school enrollment instead of Fall, and now Purdue says they can’t offer her an admission for Fall :flushed:

Yes! Just ordered 5 new pairs of pointe shoes for D23’s away summer intensive.

3 Likes

After everyone thought this year would be heavy in wait lists, it’s starting to look like some colleges have more acceptances than anticipated… hopefully issues like that won’t be widespread.

1 Like

@Pnwfamily Absolutely not :frowning: I think only gymnastics get waived.

@Suave123 oh, lord. This made me sick. I feel terrible for this student!

3 Likes

Sounds like mistakes were made by the student and the OP didn’t quite post the full story. Also a lesson to all not to wait until the last minute if possible to commit to a school! Make sure you receive email confirmation when you pay your deposit so if you do make a mistake you can rectify it.

1 Like

100% true not to wait until the last minute. As a matter of fact, my son committed to his college mid April, and they don’t send confirmation or any sort of verification that you are enrolled. Only confirmation is after the deposit, maybe 2, 3 days later, they send the portal setup email. If he had waited until 1st May, I would’ve freaked out with receiving no email immediately.

1 Like

The kid clicked summer instead of fall and then followed up with a phone call. The school told her to sit and wait past the deadline. It then sounds like the school rescinded both??? That part was unclear. She accepted on the 29th- close but not last minute. But yes- don’t wait until May 1st.

2 Likes

If we’re being told all the facts, since even the mom seemed unaware of some of them and seemed confused, when it was that close to the deadline you can’t just sit and wait around for them and she should’ve paid with credit card not echeck (if that’s even an option) so there’s proof. The 29th wasn’t a weekend so it doesn’t make sense that it wouldn’t be processed until May 3 and why would they then even process it at all if they were rescinding or not accepting her.

Maybe the summer thing wasn’t a mistake and that’s what she was supposed to be doing but doesn’t really want to be doing. Not saying anyone is lying but it just sounds off. Just not sure the we know the whole story. And the school counselor should absolutely be dealing with this.

@Suave123 absolutely we would be freaking out as well. Why create even more stress for oneself? Although I know it’s not always unavoidable.

No tech? That seems odd these days. My S has gotten used to taking notes on his iPad in HS. He doesn’t use notebooks, just a notebook app. Are the profs afraid the kids will just record and not pay attention?

A lot of places and/or professors are leaning toward or going fully no-tech these days(precovid trend—Covid and virtual seemed to reverse it). Definitely have the student check withthe school.

1 Like

We didn’t have an option to do credit card for the enrollment. I paid via echeck on a weekday and it took about 48hrs for the money to be deducted from my account. I did get an email that I had paid and enrolled.

I feel really bad for this student, they made a mistake and now don’t have a school? Perdue is in the wrong here and they should let her enroll for fall since that’s what they accepted her to.

3 Likes

The updates from the OP say the university is working with this family after the student incorrectly deposited for the wrong start.

9 Likes

At my son’s and daughter’s universities, it depends on the professor. It’s not a school-wide thing. They both go to mid-size universities (5500-6500 students) with classes that typically are no more than 30 students. I imagine at schools/classes with big lecture halls it might not matter.

My kids have used tech in classroom since middle school, but my older two still handwrote notes. S21, however, since middle school, has only done notetaking on an ipad, so he may have to adjust to writing again, at least in some of his classes.

I was just pointing it out that students should be prepared that some professors may not allow laptops or ipads.

1 Like

Some schools charge a fee for using a credit card. I doubt most people are worrying that they need “proof” via a credit card statement when they are making their deposit. I certainly didn’t. I paid using my checking account using an ACH transaction and got an emailed receipt from the college immediately, even tho the funds did not transfer until two days later.

3 Likes

I wasn’t given the option to pay the deposit by credit card. D21 had hers ready and then I had to go find my checkbook! Took over 4 days to clear.