Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

I wonder if WL movement will occur if there are a significant number of international students who are unable to get visas.

Much of the world is still in varying degrees of lockdown which is affecting the consulates and embassies.

2 Likes

We just checked them curbside here and then got two carts at the airport upon arrival and rented a minivan. When we got to Bowdoin, there were upperclassmen to help and we could park super close to the dorm. It might be more difficult at a bigger school with bigger dorms if you cannot park close by and/or don’t have help.

3 Likes

@homerdog has an important point about the rental car - it shouldn’t be a small one. I think we had an intermediate SUV type of thing (for just the two of us; I only had a backpack). Threw everything from Target into trash bags for carry/cart purposes and filled the rental car to the brim.

4 Likes

Thank you providing valuable review on the samsonite tote a ton! And the mattress fitting into that is amazing. I might not need to depend on friends there for move-in if I can deliver a fan and dorm safe to the hotel. Platinum rewards member should mean something, right?!?

2 Likes

S19 was able to lug his bags with some effort (including wearing one as a backpack), but D19 arrived to campus a week early because she was an XC runner, so we had to slog those bags without help. Eh, it’ll all work out.

1 Like

Get vacuum packing bags, too.

1 Like

Thank you. Those are on the list. I’m hoping we wrap some of the clunky things (Corelle plate, bottle cleaner, boots, (ok, I’m obsessed with a unique kind of hydroflask bottle cleaner), etc with towels and bedding and then vacuum bag sealing them. S21 will want to bring his monitor so I think he will wrap them up in his clothes and put in carryon bag. Thank goodness for SW and back check-in’s.

1 Like

What vac seal bags do you guys recommend? I have this on my list because it comes with a hand pump. For summer storage (comforter, bedding, towels, etc) and for when we move things over there.

1 Like

I am always surprised to hear parent discussions of driving to move in, and packing challenges. All three of my kids went to college out of state (or out of country) with one large and one small suitcase. The small one goes back and forth for visits home, and the large one comes back and forth for summer break (or semester abroad). Bedding and towels, toiletries, laundry detergent, etc. are purchased on site, either by parents at first move-in freshman year, or via Amazon Prime (pandemic year). Prime is so exact with shipping, you can just arrange for it to arrive the same day the kid does.

3 Likes

I would not want to wait to buy stuff upon arrival. First, many stores get sold out of dorm items. Two, the students had to make a decision about which towels, bedding, lamp. 
on and on. I did not want a stressful drop off. Having all shopping done was key. We got to Brunswick two days early, enjoyed some sight seeing, and dropped S19 on the third day with no running around or stress. It was a very nice way to start college for him.

2 Likes

The one you posted is exactly what we got. We have a vacuum at home, of course, but got that particular one bcz we weren’t sure that the '19s would have vacuums in their dorms.

ETA: I love that we’ve transitioned to talking about move-ins.

5 Likes

Yeah, we heard that things sell out too, so we did Bed Bath & Beyond. As it turned out, nothing was sold out so we found Twin XL sheets at Target and Marshall’s. Since those were cheaper than BB&B we got them there. We didn’t have any stress either.

1 Like

You must have (1) a husband who doesn’t mind shopping and (2) a relaxed kid. Neither my H or S19 wanted to be shopping once we got to Maine. I know people do it different ways but I’m just saying that it’s possible to do it all ahead of time if you’re the kind of family that wants to plan and not be hitting any stores upon arrival. :wink:

1 Like

I definitely do not want to shop during drop off weekend, it sounds really stressful. I think we can fit everything in our suitcases and have other stuff delivered to our hotel from Amazon.

2 Likes

Pretty sure you still need to shop for all of these items, it’s just a matter of where it’s done
 either on site or at home and adding the packing/checking bags or shipping expense. My H doesn’t mind shopping but he wasn’t there for this. D HATES shopping which ensured that we were just in and out really quick (much to my disappointment).

At least boys don’t need a makeup mirror, right? Or string lights? We will be glad if S manages to have toothpaste and a razor.

What would be the ideal male shower caddy-type of item that keeps things simple? One of those toiletry kit bags (do they get dirty inside) or something else? Feel free to post links.

4 Likes

Hang in there. It’s going to work out and he will find his path. They will get employed! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have been told that this is the type to get: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MGB4YRQ?pd_rd_i=B00MGB4YRQ&pd_rd_w=5GsjX&pf_rd_p=ee186ce0-6bf7-4893-85b9-f3368b019e0f&pd_rd_wg=p4y8m&pf_rd_r=923ZMQRAPV26CK4EABS2&pd_rd_r=b91987de-d171-453e-a9b6-4300e6e55ccf

5 Likes

I just added this to my Amazon cart!!

1 Like

Are your boys taking a suit and tie to school?