Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

Putting the sheets on the mattress when it’s on the floor is honestly the MVP idea on this forum!!!

16 Likes

My daughter’s dance company is having an end of year gala, so we got a bonus year of prom dress shopping today. We went to so many stores and ended up buying six and returning four- dressing rooms around here are apparently either not open at all or only open on Saturdays (wth Macy’s). She fell in love with one that was the right level of formal, and one that was too casual that she just had to buy for herself for theoretical future parties. Ha. It was a nice day of shopping, something we haven’t done since her sister’s prom shopping two years ago. She also found an old BBB gift card in her closet, and was able to get sheets, towels, and a shower caddy for the dorm. The bed stuff is officially all handled. Next up is a fan and a chromebook. She has to rent the fridge… and then not much left to buy at all.

8 Likes

What a kind offer! I’ll keep you in mind.

@anaray. my S21 will be in the College, intending to major in Political Economy or a dual major Economics/Government. He talked to the head of the PECO program last month, and you take the essentially the same classes either way. However, he also is starting to take a harder look at SFS, so who knows. Yours?

We didn’t figure this out until kid #2 moved into the dorm, but wow, so much easier.

Just ordered D21 a tempurpedic mattress topper! CC parents should get a volume discount! Thanks for the tip!

5 Likes

Can we talk alarms? D can sleep through a tornado siren. What have your kids used?

1 Like

All of the recommendations on what to pack/where to get/when to buy for college are priceless. Thank you all for all of the suggestions! Is there a general list/spreadsheet somewhere on CC?

3 Likes

My son uses an old alarm clock radio, he currently leaves his phone outside his room when he goes to bed.

In school, he will probably use his phone alarm if he needs one.

Some of my friends swear by this alarm for their HS boys:

https://smile.amazon.com/Sonic-Alert-SBB500SS-Extra-Loud-Flashing/dp/B000OOWZUK/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=alarm+clock+vibrating&qid=1621256771&sr=8-5

1 Like

Grown and flown has one https://www.amazon.com/shop/grownandflown?listId=23MHCB7HJ0644

Someone made a post on their Facebook page recently that generated really helpful advice.

My favorites were an extra long phone charging cord for the bunk, side table attachment, doorstop, heavy duty command hooks, zip ties. They said bring a rubber mallet too for adjusting the bed. I’m hoping we can borrow one.

4 Likes

Nitty gritty question but the bug / mattress protector - do they maybe one that isn’t plastic and noisy?

Update: Never mind I see one described as quiet on the grown and flown link.

Wow that is an excellent tip! Seeing my tall son up there crawling around so his 50 year old mom wouldn’t have to do it was quite something. Moving another tall son in in August!

2 Likes

On to backpacks. I’m looking at The North Face Router backpack for S21.

Before buying, I thought I would ask for other suggestions?

2 Likes

Yes! My 2 sons and daughter are 6’ 5", 6’ 4", and 6’, so crawling around up there is problematic when the bed is fully lofted. The upside is that they think it’s easy to drag the thing up and down :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good call. You just reminded me that he will need a waterproof pack.

1 Like

Right now she is in the College with Biology of Global Health and Premed track. But she is trying to transfer to NHS and Human Science Major.

1 Like

I ran into an old acquaintance yesterday. Her daughter (now just 25 years old) has started a new company that may revolutionize women‘s outdoor clothing. Her daughter got the idea when doing an internship in the arctic and found it awkward (to say the least) to find a way to relieve herself during hours on the ice with teams of men (and not a tree to be found), whereas, the guys could just turn around and whip it out. It was such a problem that she reduced her water intake and became dangerously dehydrated. She started thinking about all of the women scientists in the field, women in the military, rock climbers, disabled women and just casual hikers…and developed …http://www.sheflyapparel.com. SheFly/Answer Nature’s call. I’m seriously impressed! And to think I knew this young woman when she was just a tiny, round-cheeked girl! She even has a TED talk that’s worth listening to.

13 Likes

@loveorangecats Get something that has a slot for laptops. They’ll be carrying their laptops or tablets around vs. going back to the dorm and doing homework during break, etc.

1 Like

If anyone’s kid is going to UC Davis, I’m 45 min away so hollar if you need any help. I think Davis is on a quarter system so I should be done moving my kid (semester) in to his dorm by the time you travel to Davis.

2 Likes