Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

Yikes. $149 for a backpack is too rich for us, even if it lasts for years.

1 Like

I donā€™t remember seeing anyone going to UCSB, but Iā€™m right here in case you need something and we are well connected with the medical community in case you need referrals.

2 Likes

The side table for the dorm bed was probably the best purchase we made. D19 and two of her friends got the Shelfie and said it was great because the way their rooms were set up they had no nightstand. Even if they did it wouldnā€™t have been tall enough as their beds were lofted to about 36 inches. I think we got the original size, it held her phone and a bottle of water, sometimes a book or whatever she needed.

The long phone cord is also key and the extension cord with the cube on the end was helpful so it could stay on the shelf without sliding down every time she unplugged her phone.

As for an alarm, D19 just uses he phone alarm and sets about 6 of them. She sleeps through them so much she has to set a bunch and if she doesnā€™t wake up by then her roommate will yell at her (donā€™t worry, she got lucky and had a roommate who was the exact same and they both had to do that for each other!) In fact, as I sit here typing this in the family room I can hear her alarm going off in her bedroom - it is 12:30pm here and she still has not budged. :rofl:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9RPZZY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://smile.amazon.com/360-Electrical-360468-Extension-Accent-Mint/dp/B0748LRQL7/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1TZRVPZGH4HG0&dchild=1&keywords=extension+cord+cube&qid=1621269232&sprefix=extension+cord+cube%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-6

10 Likes

One of my sons got an old school Jansport with the leather panel on the bottom. Very reasonable and heā€™s been happy with it. They have them at Zappos, so easy to return if you change your mind.

Thank you!

2 Likes

My kids have LL Bean backpacks that have lasted for years!

1 Like

These make great nightstands (thereā€™s a separate lid for the top tier):

https://www.containerstore.com/s/matte-black-3_tier-rolling-cart/d?q=3+tier+rolling+cart&productId=11010939

They always have a college sale in July/August with free shipping.

1 Like

Check out LLBean - $60, monogrammable and indestructible!

1 Like

Great suggestion! It has everything he could need including laptop sleeve and I feel comfortable that it will protect the contents in the rain as well.

It is $90 less than the other one I mentioned and Iā€™ve always loved LL Bean customer service.

Thank you for posting.

1 Like

My son had one that lasted from 1st to 8th grade and has a new one thatā€™s going to college with him after 3 years in high school. They are great backpacks!

1 Like

@loveorangecats We like Dakine backpacks. My son is graduating with the same one he has had since 7th grade!! Will be buying a new one for college :nerd_face:. My husband and daughter also use them.

1 Like

Jansport was my backpack that I used from high school through college. I have them for my kids and they have a lifetime warranty. S21 had a tear. We paid $5 to send it to Jansport and they replaced it. I think they have versions w/ laptop sleeves built inside. Patagonia has them, too.

https://www.staples.com/jansport-city-view-backpack-solid-navy-js0a3p3u003/product_24430415?ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=24430415&KPID=24430415&cid=PS:CRL:GS:SBD:PLA:OS&gclid=CjwKCAjwqIiFBhAHEiwANg9szpTob-ZYV3ZIFmxMMKfBj22866Ks8ZgzKATaxaNFhlNLK-3_8TCymRoC2ioQAvD_BwE

My Dā€™s Adidas back pack finally bit the bullet after 4 years of heavy use. Sheā€™s buying another one. adidas Prime V Backpack

1 Like

Doesnā€™t have to be quiet when yoā€™re putting a mattress topper and mattress pad on top of it, but I know ours are not vinyl and are washable.

@loveorangecats Best backpacks weā€™ve used are the Adidas Prime. I think Prime II. Guaranteed for life. My kids used them all through high school without issue and then we got new ones for college in different colors. Usually can find them cheapest at Kohls. Also have had no issue with rain or snowy winters. Theyā€™re about $50. Canā€™t beat that. ALso very large.

1 Like

Jinx! We posted the same time about the backpack. I think they are on to Prime V now ; )

Backpacks: Travel & Daypacks by Patagonia This is the one I got D for college

3 Likes

Haha I saw that right as I hit send and mine posted. Best backpack!

For others - my daughter who had a typical dorm bed (the other didnā€™t), she has loved this! I was hoping she didnā€™t want to keep it for her apartment next year so I could take it for my son, but nope she wants to keep it. I am assuming she wonā€™t need it when we move her in since sheā€™ll have a regular bed so then Iā€™ll plan to take it home. But she has used this for 2 years and said it was one of the best things ever. Also, long chargers for the beds slightly raised (or lofted), Britta pitcher if your kid is one of those, command strips and hooks.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/kikkerland-bedside-felt-caddy-pocket-in-grey/1046536402?keyword=dorm+room+essentials

1 Like

Thanks. That looks interesting & Iā€™ll share it with D21. Sheā€™s only 5ā€™ tall, so backpack sizes are always an issue, and this comes in womenā€™s sizes. (If she likes it, weā€™ll get it at REI for the member rebate.)

2 Likes

We got a big vacuum bag for the mattress topper. Shove it in the bag and suck the air out and it becomes super compact.

2 Likes

@inthegarden They ship really compact. Just take it out but donā€™t cut the shrink wrap. You can air out the smell.

1 Like