Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

My girls both have adidas climacool strength backpacks. They’ve been used for school, gymnastics, dance, and have lasted for many years at this point. They fit so much crap into them and they seem to be basically indestructible at this point. Ha. My D wants to keep hers for just dance stuff next year, so I picked her up a basic jansport bag on Amazon for school stuff because it was super cheap (sub $20)- though I’m guessing she’ll need less dance stuff than she’s used to (she spends lots of 7-10 hour days at the studio now) and she’ll adjust to use the one bag for both.

1 Like

My D is 5’0 and 86 lbs

2 Likes

The shrink wrap is porous??

@inthegarden if it’s anything like the ones we’ve ordered in the past (we’ve done the mattress toppers for our travel trailer), leaving it out for over a month will allow it to get ventilated. The ones we’ve purchased have never been sealed (e.g. heat seal). Just wrapped well but enough for me to smell it so I assume somehow there is an escape.

1 Like

@Creaky that’s also the backpack my D chose and she’s 5’1”!

2 Likes

Mine is the exact same!!

2 Likes

We have senior awards night tonight. I’m watching it in the parking lot at school since D24 has soccer practice. All the formal things. :joy: I’m thinking to wear shorts and tank top to our grad. I told S21 to wear whatever he wants since I already have his senior pix taken (he gave me 30 min for photos and dressed up so can’t ask for more).

2 Likes

@rbc2018 D21 is also tall. Someone sent her a link last Fall about Tall Club International, which awards scholarships to rising freshmen provided they meet the height requirement (5’10” for women, 6”+ for men). I’m sure there were other additional parameters which I can’t recall. There is really something for everyone! :grin:

2 Likes

Hiker/cross-country skier here - how awesome!!!

1 Like

This from S19, 2 years into college. You don’t need much. In high school, he had a mega backpack - Land’s End, LL Bean, something like that, jumbo size. Lots of books in addition to laptop.

In college, he has…the laptop. Maybe a couple of folders. A water bottle. All his books are ebooks (his choice, I still love hard copy for technical books). He actually asked for a smaller backpack for Christmas.

4 Likes

Yep same here…I’m an hour away from UC Davis and S will be going there, so I’m here if anyone needs anything.

I’m close to UCB too.

1 Like

That’s nice you have an in person awards night. Ours is not. Ours is always an “honors night” and not just for seniors because any kid can win awards through the year. So last year with covid they did a slide show. They emailed the kids who got an award. We never expected anything but then there my son was in the email and slideshow so that was pretty cool. Didn’t know what they were doing this year and then maybe a week or two ago, they emailed them and said that’s how they’re doing it this year too. The slide show was supposed to be posted to the school website today but nothing yet. Kind of bummed because I want to send it to the grandparents. They always lived for this when my others got these things. We received info about graduation today too. New venue this year due to covid - it will be at our school. Less tickets for all so no siblings or grandparents, but they can stream it and watch it all summer long.

Valedictorian and Salutatorians will not be known until the 20th and then graduation is the 27th. Not sure if they will notify those kids ahead of time, but my son did receive word he is a graduating as a scholar which is a nice honor. You need to have a certain minimum GPA and they don’t round up. You get something to wear at graduation. So hard work really has paid off.

Also, did you all see the Purdue article about how big their class will be next year? Beyond nuts. Purdue to welcome largest-ever incoming class this fall - Purdue University News

2 Likes

My friend was actually wearing the SheFly pants that day, BTW, and they looked really nice. The crotch zipper is hidden, so very discrete. They’re expensive, but I hope that means they’re serious when they say their factory workers are paid well! They plan to offer underwear and shorts as well in the near future.

2 Likes

Gosh, our tempurpedic bed topper just shipped. Already! Just yesterday It was only a vague idea in my head. This thread makes me so efficient (even as it eats up my time :rofl:)

5 Likes

This parenting thread is pretty stinking fun. (Now that we are DONE with the applications and decision part that is!!!)

Once again, wish we could have a parents party or get together and meet and laugh together!!!

Impossible, I know, but the idea is nice!!!

7 Likes

Mine has shipped, too! First thing ordered. :white_check_mark:

1 Like

@srparent15 It’s virtual. They YouTubed it so I watched while waiting and told the grandparents which spot to watch. :joy: save them time. I’m good with the efficiency of virtual :slight_smile:

S21’s bestie got the math award. Listening to his accomplishments and his contribution just made me want to punch something. Damn it, Cal, for not letting him in his dream school. It’s the one rejection I can’t get over for one of my kiddos. Argh.

3 Likes

mine has shipped as well

1 Like

Strange question but since my first boy skipped college and my girls are the over the top need everything girls this may sound dumb but what do boys use for shower caddies? My one girl has a mesh bag she likes and the other used a plastic caddy but I can’t see a boy carrying a caddy down to the bathroom. When he went to camp we used something more masculine that was just like a sort of rectangular basket with holes. Is that the kind of thing boys use for college also or do they just carry their stuff to the bathroom by hand and keep in a bucket/box in their room? My son wears daily contacts so also for anyone with kids that have contacts, any suggestions for any of that? Just buy a bin and keep in there? He’s my only kid that needs glasses and boy does he need them!

My son uses a plastic caddy basket at boarding school. And don’t forget shower shoes!!!