Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

I’m going to tell D19 about this! She has definitely mentioned this anatomical disadvantage as an adventure trip leader.

2 Likes

@srparent15 I got S21 a mesh caddy. Shower sandals (2 because let’s get real, if anything breaks, he’s going barefoot and that is the one thing I would hoard with a spare…kinda like how we always have 2-mo’s worth of toilet paper supply at our house, even before the pandemic). He’s now open to an absorbent terry robe so if anyone has a reco, I’m all ears.

1 Like

Thanks! Yes on the shoes, we’ve always had a bunch of the shower sandals but I can see my sons are pretty worn out. He likes extra just for one pair to walk around in if the other pair are too wet.

Can’t help on the robe front because both my boys after one summer at camp ditched the robes and either went to shower in just a towel or their clothes and brought a towel. My girls confirmed this is how a lot of the boys in college are so not bothering with one. My girls do like the Velcro towel body wraps and I know they make a male version of them.

Speaking of backpacks. Our oldest daughter who just graduated college last spring liked her North Face backpack so much that she bought D21 the same one as her graduation gift to take to college. It is the Borealis model in women’s (they also have a slightly larger men’s version. It has a very protective laptop sleeve and nice water bottle pockets on the sides which are both important in school:

5 Likes

Also, on mattress pads to put over the top of the memory foam. By far the nicest (and coolest) mattress pads I have found are these bamboo ones off Amazon. They are so nice that I put them on all of our beds at home and will be ordering one for D21 to use in the dorm over her mattress topper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008URGSWO/

3 Likes

My daughter has this one too! On year 3 but I guess that’s cheating since 12 months of those 3 years were virtual. She’ll take it to college. We had another North Face the first year that had a strap rip within about 5 months, but this one has held up.

Anyone else’s kid still struggling with roommate matching? I really wish UCF had a random/housing match option. She had found someone and they were going to enter a suite with two juniors and then the other freshman backed out… so we are back to square one. I’m stressed out for her, housing selection is 6/1. She has a nut allergy so going completely random and just selecting a room is problematic, because she’d really like her suite mates to agree to keep peanut products out of the kitchen if possible. I’m trying to get her to advocate for herself and sent her the information for housing accommodations to see if they can help… and I reached out to the honors people just to ask if they did any matchmaking. I want to move on and pick mattress toppers too!!

I did reserve hotel rooms and a rental car for what I assume will be move in weekend. Three nights near the school (we’ll need to shop and will fly in, and I’m not sure when exactly her move in date will be) and two nights at Disney for DH and me. Looked around and found a deal on a minivan rental, most rentals were over $1k for 5 days! Still figuring out flights.

D21 has AP Lit exam today. Calc next week and then hopefully she is done. Just has to keep an 80 in all her classes to be able to opt out of finals the first week of June. Calc BC is close… We haven’t heard anything about awards. She picked up her cap and gown and she got one cord that I knew was coming, but another cord and a sash that I didn’t know about, and not sure what they stand for. Prom is not until 6/10. I dreamt last night that she changed her mind and wanted to wear a tux instead of the $$$ gown we bought, and then someone else showed up in the same gown at the prom! Sheesh the stress is getting to me. :joy:

8 Likes

All 4 of my kids use this backpack as well. It is very well made!

10,000 for Purdue and 1200 over :flushed:. Is there a big state school that isn’t overenrolled or close?

1 Like

I actually investigated that previously, but you have to live near a chapter and we are in a small town so there isn’t one close by. It’s a funny way to get a scholarship, but why not! My girl grew late and is now like ‘okay, please stop growing!’ She had a shoulder issue a few months ago and had an x ray and the doc told her the growth plates are still open, eeek.

2 Likes

My D23 has that same backpack. She’s on year 2 or 3 and it still looks brand new.

That bamboo mattress pad looks really nice, its now in my Amazon cart. Though part of me wonders if S21 is too comfortable in his dorm bed, he may never get up for class!

1 Like

Mine is a Senior at UCF- she is at Rosen, so she is still in housing and yes, roommate matching and their room selection process is awful!!! They used to not let freshmen pick rooms just roommates- that was better. They give great questions, but in the end, you have no idea who you are rooming with because you just take a random room somewhere. Is she in Towers?

Wisconsin apparently let in a lot over the past few days so they must not be. Indiana and Iowa I assume probably aren’t either. They’re much easier to get into than Michigan, Purdue and even Wisconsin except for Kelley at Indiana so I’m sure that’s why. I haven’t heard anything about UIUC but their engineering and business programs no doubt fill up. I know the private dorm kids like to live in was filled much earlier than usual but not sure if that means anything or people just use it as a placeholder. We have a ton going to Wisconsin, almost 20 to Michigan, the usual bunch to UiUC and only maybe 1 to Iowa which is rare. Then multiples outside the big 10 and other big 10 schools. I think even Purdue we may have at least 10 which is a lot. It’s a crazy year for everyone.

I had not heard that Wisconsin let people in. No activity on their WL thread.

A bunch of kids from another high school in our district just committed and switched from other schools so something happened there. We have over 30 kids going there and that school has a lot too. It could be a regional thing or school thing as just about everyone who applied got in from our school this year, even a lot of surprises and could be close to similar at the other school which is slightly bigger. No mention of it on that thread may only mean they’re not on cc which they probably aren’t for this crew from what I know.

2 Likes

Both of my sons used the ‘sport mesh shower tote’ from BB&B. It’s like 10 bucks, and is a mesh pouch with a zipper and a loop for hanging. I also added an s-hook to the loop in case they needed to hang it on a shower rod, but I’m extra like that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Yes she’ll be in Towers 3 (the honors dorm). She said another girl reached out to her yesterday so fingers crossed they are compatible.

3 Likes

Due to her peanut allergy, I’d definitely reach out to disability services - they might be able to assist.

1 Like

Thanks!, @srparent15! Opposite at my kid’s small school (east coast). Normally basically everyone with in range stats gets into Wisconsin that applies and so this year it was a surprise to get a WL.

Same thing seen here @qballmom and I haven’t heard of anyone getting in off the waitlist either

1 Like