Parents of the HS Class of 2022

First acceptance is in the books - state flagship with honors college, which made her excited (though it’s definitely not her first choice). It took exactly one week from submitting app to acceptance notification. And the last of the Nov. 1 deadline EAs was submitted last night as well. Now on to Nov. 15 EAs, which includes her top choice.

22 Likes

Good for all of your kids!

We’re still in the “nothing submitted” category. My kid did mention a Sunday submission goal because Monday looks busy…

10 Likes

Mine says she thinks she’s ready to submit to two of the schools on her list that she doesn’t really want to go to that much. I am trying really really hard to bite my tongue and not nag. I just wish she would submit her app to the school she really wants to get into already!

11 Likes

Here’s hoping for a productive weekend to all! I hope things get submitted :slight_smile:

10 Likes

THIS! :weary:

3 Likes

Finally got the final login for the 3 schools S22 applied to on Monday night. 2 of 3 have all the required pieces received, so yay!. UT still shows his transcript hasn’t been received (it was sent by the HS on Wed), but thankfully they give you until 11/8 for all documents to be turned in. I feel like I can finally breathe!

Our schools are closed M/Tu next week for in-service days… Who thought being closed on “EA day” was a good idea?

Good luck to all who are still waiting for their kids to hit “submit”.

9 Likes

good old peer pressure is what got my D going. Most of her friends are not applying to competitive schools but to mostly rolling admission in state schools. So some of her friends have had their first acceptances for a few weeks.

6 Likes

Essay blues happening big time!

My D22 is interested in economics/ business etc. Couple of essays are done but one of the Ross essays is not done yet. With the deadline looming large, trying to figure out what would be best course of action. UMich LSA - Economics Major / 2 Essays vs UMich Ross - 4 Essays since we still have 2 days. She liked Ross approach/curriculum etc ( it is a reach though) Are there transfer opportunities from LSA to Ross after one or two years? Is there significant difference in the career path opportunities Economics/LSA vs Ross? Trying to see what would make sense in this final stretch. Thanks in advance

It is so hard not to nag. S22 is going on college visits this weekend, so I’m not really sure when he is going to finish his essays.

4 Likes

My understanding is that there are very few spots for students to transfer to Ross from another college. From what I have read (on threads when students get into LSA but not Ross), some students manage to get the business experience they want without being a Ross major. Many do econ. There is the entrepreneurial minor that gets rave reviews. There is also the School of Information that leads to some business/ information-data systems careers. Students apply to School of Information as sophomores to begin that program junior year.

UM is very competitive especially if you are OOS. I might be inclined to focus on 2 solid essays at this point. But if Ross is only real interest, and LSA or other majors don’t seem like a good fit, maybe try to get the 4 done? Good luck!

1 Like

I was curious, looks like they enroll ~100 on-campus transfer students each year, so more possible than I thought. https://michiganross.umich.edu/sites/default/files/documents/20fy_bba_transfer_infosheetb.pdf

1 Like

thanks for the Umich/Ross info. appreciate it.

1 Like

Finally D22 submitted her state school application tonight! Hopefully she can submit her ED application tomorrow. Both have Nov 1 deadline.

7 Likes

Getting a few free app notices. However, if we throw in an app at a top 100 private university where S22 hasn’t shown previous interest, will it be a likely reject?

Wondering the same. My D22 has only received two fee waiver offers - Fordham and Case Western but hasn’t shown any interest in the latter. Others encourage her to apply ED, including highly selectives such as Dartmouth, even though she’s never even attended a virtual info session.

DS has to get an honors application done this weekend. He went to Homecoming last night and is working till late today. So I’m left to pace the house alone pretending I won’t nag him all day Sunday (when we all know the truth).

7 Likes

Yes, Fordham. I don’t think we have one for Case but they and RIT are top mailers.

Tulane came through again. They sent free app requests to my DD who had a 25 ACT so I know it’s a ruse.

Since my son is now looking at business, Fordham seems a compelling place to apply. However, having shown no interest until an EA app doesn’t seem to bode well.

Case tracks demonstrated interest. If you look on the common data set for each college, you can see whether they consider interest. It doesn’t hurt to sign up for some virtual events now :slight_smile:

I (the parent) get regular emails from Fordham. Overnight, I got an email with the subject line “Awaiting [D22’s first name] application” - I would enjoy studying in Midtown Manhattan but my daughter is not as keen. So, we’re passing on this one.

2 Likes

My D20 applied to Fordham mainly because of the free app. We knew it would be too expensive unless a miracle occurred but she just wanted to see if she got in. It was one of her 2 reach schools. She showed no interest beyond maybe opening a couple emails and I believe her stats were below the 50th percentile. Somehow she got in. Her BF that visited twice with better stats was rejected but ended up getting off the waitlist at NYU. So you just never know.

4 Likes