Parents of the HS Class of 2022

You’ll love that if you’re all in NYC close by! We drive to USC to take her to brunch every other weekend or so and then just drop her off. I also give her something if she requests for dinner so she doesn’t have to worry about finding somewhere to go for Sunday night dinner.

3 Likes

A lot of my colleague’s kids are at UCB. They rave about it. Just 40 mins drive distance. Kids come every other week, parents go every week. Crossing fingers now.

3 Likes

Essays have become an issue here too. D22 was completely blindsided by the follow on essays for special/cohort programs and scholarships (which we need). She had her timeline all planned out early but not planned for those essays. It didn’t help that she made the last minute decision to throw her hat in the ring for next summer’s NSLI-Y program, the application with four essays is due tonight :roll_eyes:

In case anyone is interested, my D22 has just learned that Fordham has extended the EA/ED deadline to Nov. 8. Also, University of Cincinnati is waiving application fees if you apply between Nov. 1-14.

2 Likes

But Ucs became very unpredictable especially UCB and UCLA.

2 Likes

S22 has an interview in less than an hour. Eek. Fingers crossed.

8 Likes

Schools must not be reaching desired EA/ED application targets if they’re extending deadlines.

5 Likes

True. Most of the colleges have become unpredictable these days. We know a kid from our school, with solid leadership ECs in math, didn’t get in most places he applied to. From last year’s data, we have kind of prepared our daughter to take things as it comes.

2 Likes

We just emails from Fordham, Univ of Denver, RPI, RIT, and Susquehanna all saying their deadlines have been extended. Anywhere from Nov 2 to Nov 15.

5 Likes

Good Luck to your son. Which one is this for?

Haverford

4 Likes

Good luck!? Haverford??

1 Like

Don’t worry he will be fine.

2 Likes

Good luck to him!

1 Like

Good luck! Hope it’s going/went well!

Thanks, I’m keeping your message for me, actually, since I haven’t told D that all these kids on CC are getting interviews! She’s not on social media so hopefully school friends aren’t talking about interviews either. I will keep this worry for myself and gently nag her to keep checking her emails. :flushed:

1 Like

Me too. We haven’t had anyone from our high school apply to MIT for years, so there is no local cultural knowledge about what is supposed to happen from here on out.

1 Like

Ha ha ha. I’m not sure that school friends won’t talk about interviews. In my DD’s school atleast a dozen of them (known) have applied to MIT and getting interviewed one after the other. Everyday she brings back stories of what she shared with others, as she’s the first one in the group to be interviewed. I remember the EC mentioned that they have a last day to submit their reco (somewhere in the second week of Nov if I’m not wrong). Ask her to monitor for a week and reach out to interviews@MIT just to make sure. Same here about social media, mine is a face-to-face (talkative) kind, no social media presence. I’m more than excited for the CC kids to learn where they all land. Many have amazing stats.

1 Like

Sure. More applications = more revenue = lower acceptance rate = misleading “more selective”

4 Likes

D22 waited two weeks to hear, and the interview isn’t until the 11th.

2 Likes