Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Yay! Congrats to your son on NYU!

2 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

Congrats!!!

Congrats!

1 Like

@sfSTEM, @Sweetgum and @Vineyarder Congratulations to you and your kids on getting into their EA/ED’s! It’s all so exciting to see things finally happening!

9 Likes

Wooohooo! Do you know yet how his classmates fared?

1 Like

Second EA decision of the day for S22: accepted to Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI)!

They get their scholarship info out quick, at the same time as the decision. He’s got choices now. And that’s it for all his early applications.

47 Likes

Congrats from an alum!

2 Likes

This is SO exciting for all of the 2022 grads! Congratulations to all!

3 Likes

Not sure yet – he had to run out to basketball practice. He said a good friend of his from our Switzerland days was deferred at Columbia.

Congratulations. My son has a friend there who is really enjoying it!

1 Like

Has anyone else see this happen? I’m curious whether this is behind the “This college startup has a 1.9% acceptance rate , making it tougher to get into than Harvard. …“
narrative.

I don’t know about the quality of education but this Minerva University’s admission rate is absolutely a scam. I just filled out some questionson their website out of curiosity a few months ago and today I received my rejection letter. So basically I was rejected by a school I didn’t even apply to.

Wow 2 decisions on the same day, that too acceptances. Congrats !!!

1 Like

I haven’t seen that before. But it doesn’t surprise me. The only thing that surprises me is that they have any kind of “basis” at all for that claim. I would have assumed they were just flat out making it up. Now it’s clear they must “reject” everyone who doesn’t actually apply. Those for-profit schools that make wild claims are the bane of my existence.

Fwiw,

Minerva University is operated by Minerva Institute for Research and Scholarship, a private, non-profit, tax-exempt entity

Minerva University (formerly Minerva Schools at KGI ) is a non-profit private university headquartered in San Francisco, California

2 Likes

Yep. Minerva is a very legit entity, with an interesting program for a certain type of student. From what I hear from my sources they are doing pretty well for such a new, novel school.

2 Likes

Congratulations on the acceptances over the past 24 hours. Really pleased for you and your children (I was particularly following @Vineyarder’s S22’s journey and so was thrilled to see his success at NYU - the portal astrology on that thread was quite entertaining!).

To follow up on my previous post, my D22 was rejected by Stanford. She took it well and, as she worked hard on the application and received helpful feedback on her essays, there’s no sense that she could/should have done it differently. And whatever the outcome in the end, we believe she will be fine. Now, back to her remaining US college applications…

23 Likes

Thanks, @LostInTheShuffle. For what it’s worth, the portal astrology did seem to hold true pretty much with last year, and people with indicators like S22’s got in. It was hard for those on the thread to believe that would be the case because a relatively high proportion of people responding to the various polls had positive indicators, but I think that’s about the self-selecting nature of being on CC in the first place.

Best wishes to your D — I’m sure she’ll land in the place that’s just right for her.

4 Likes

D rejected from ED school. It is sad because she really loved the school. Glad I did not buy swag:) She’s waiting to hear from most of her EA schools but has one good option so far and can still apply to other schools RD if she wants.

17 Likes

Do colleges have a way to find out whether an applicant if accepted will enroll or not?