Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Often that is the difference between a private school and a public school. Obviously, if this data is on the 6-semester unofficial transcript, this policy can harm students who apply test optional, and/or don’t want to share all SAT/ACT/AP scores (which seems well within their right).

Of course, not all AOs see the six-semester transcripts, and instead see grades via the common app grade section, SRAR, or school’s own system like UIUC’s.

Avoiding the inconsistencies in the reporting of data on HS transcripts is actually a big reason some colleges have students enter their courses and grades separately during the application process. Some of my students have to do this exercise three separate times, which is a pain.

I didn’t recall that scores ever made it to the public HS transcripts for a year in Illinois, but I do remember this being the biggest dust-up at my kids’ HS that I experienced in the 6 years they attended. It’s uncommon where basically a large majority of all parties is in agreement (parents, teachers, admin)!!

Many HS/state level education administrators don’t understand college admissions. Just one example…I have students who are forced to take the SAT (for IL state grad requirement) who already have a strong ACT score. In the cases where those students intend to apply to colleges that require all test scores their choice is to A) spend time studying for the SAT (generally wasteful if already have a strong ACT score), or B) don’t prep for and then take the mandatory SAT test and cancel the score (which is typically the choice for these students).

3 Likes

OH does the same with ACT scores. Worse yet, it has to be the ACT score on their testing date so if you already have a high enough ACT, you still need to sit for it again. My D would have been one and done otherwise.

2 Likes

Ugh. It is such a waste of time for many students. Maybe around half the states have a required ACT/SAT. Not enough students know they can just cancel the scores, even as they are leaving the testing center, or within a defined number of days.

1 Like

Yes the AP scores show up and yes they are required…just how the school does it, and consistent with most other private schools in the area.

1 Like

My kid is not taking hers this year because she is not going to get any credit. Less money and time wasted!

1 Like

We found out today that my son is the class valedictorian this year! We were thinking it would be him, but didn’t know for sure. He’s working on a speech now. It makes me nervous to think about!

64 Likes

Same. S19 had the score he would use Aug of junior year and still had to sit for the SAT again in March at school. Silly. Interestingly, he didn’t study at all in between the two sittings and the scores were just 10 points apart! …but the Aug one was still higher.

1 Like

My D22 got off the waitlist this morning for UCSB but she is still so excited for Cal Poly Slo I don’t think she will change her mind!

39 Likes

An amusing situation has arisen in our family. LostWife has just received a job offer from our D22’s first choice university. So, if LostWife accepts and D22 meets her offer conditions and goes there, mother and daughter might be seeing each other on campus!

LostWife has been trying to restart her career (she became largely a SAHM after D22 was born) but, despite having a promising early career, has experienced numerous rejections recently (I give her credit for her determination). So, this is a wonderful opportunity and I am thrilled for her.

D22 wasn’t expecting this but hopefully she’ll be happy for her mom (or maybe she’ll take a gap year and try again for US schools this fall!).

35 Likes

But sadly no tuition benefits in the UK :wink:

1 Like

That’s exactly what I asked LostWife!

1 Like

Last day of “classes” for D22. Finals were over for her yesterday, so today is just for fun. Commencement is next week, so we have visitors inbound (brother and grandparents). Lots of fun planned.

24 Likes

Hi - For colleges asking for AP reports from college board, do we need to pay for each subject or all the subjects together?

There is a flat fee for sending all scores regardless of the number of AP exams taken.

Even better, use Free Score Send

A direct quote from a recent College Board email

Ensure your students activate their free score send (by the June 20 deadline. Every year that your students take an AP® Exam, they have the option to send one score report for free to the college, university, or scholarship organization of their choice. Score reports include both this year’s and past AP Exam scores unless students choose to withhold or cancel a score.

9 Likes

Thank you! Getting these sent is on our list and now I to make sure it’s in the free batch. He only had CSA this year and it was today. Said it went well so we will include it as well.

1 Like

Do we know when the AP exam results are out?

College Board latest update

2022 AP Exam scores will be available starting Tuesday, July 5.

7 Likes

Graduation is done! It was a nice, but very emotional ceremony. S22 gave a speech and has received many compliments on it. I don’t think I would have been comfortable speaking in front of that many people at 18 years old. I’m not sure I would be now! There were 416 graduates.

43 Likes

Congrats to your student, @Luanne! Congrats to you, too! :star_struck:

1 Like

Lucy student you have there @Rivet2000 !

DA is keeping our class of 2022 busy until Wednesday. Many students we know have 4 tests and multiple projects to complete. I think the school is keeping them busy so they don’t get into mischief.

4 Likes