Parents of the HS Class of 2022

My D22 started her A level exams yesterday – came home uncommunicative! With another exam today, 10 remain, spread over the next 4 weeks. Can’t wait until they’re totally done!

As I mentioned previously, LostWife had a horrendous time finding a job in her field until getting an offer two weeks ago. Unexpectedly, she got another one yesterday, but in her home country. So, we’re faced with the choice of “abandoning” D22 in the UK (which would be to her absolute delight!) or staying a while longer. We decided to visit Oxford again today, which sealed the deal to stay. There’s a nice vibe to the city, the people we came across were friendly, we could see ourselves living in different neighborhoods, the department she will be joining is doing exciting work, and the Gothic-style building where she will be working is understatedly beautiful.

Oh, I also came across the Oxford professor who makes outreach videos on YouTube to broaden awareness and dispel myths about the university.

19 Likes

Those A level exams would be a horror to S22 who is terrible at standardized tests. One go at the ACT and 5 AP exams were his maximum limit. And they were spread out over 2 years. Cannot imagine doing so many exams in one month. Good luck to her!

Great news about Lostwife’s job prospects and decision as well! Many many moons ago, I did a year abroad at Oxford and I love it there so much. Loved the whole tutorial system and the meals in the Gothic dining halls. Rowed on the crew team so had many misty mornings on the Thames. Such a gorgeous university town. Congratulations!

10 Likes

Is this discussed somewhere else?

Help:

• college dorms have actual keys, yes?

Not like credit card-keys like at hotels, no?

Do freshmen boys use lanyards for the dorm keys?

Can parents of boys help recommend a great wallet?

My son didn’t really drive until recently, so he’s not used to having to deal with keys (he often leaves the keys and his driver’s license in the truck).
We don’t lock our home or cars.

Same for wallet: he doesn’t really use a wallet.

I can totally see him losing his dorm keys and wallet quickly.
His shorts and jogger pants generally do not have zippered pockets; can totally see them falling out of his pockets walking all around Cambridge/Boston.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Many colleges have the student ID programmed as the room key. Students often put their ID and credit card in those rubber card holders that stick to the back of their phone.

1 Like

Our S kept his key on a lanyard. I too was convinced he would loose them. When I asked him what would happen if the keys were lost he said the lock would be re-keyed at cost, then he would have to sing a song in front of the entire dorm. He never lost his keys.

4 Likes

Some schools have cards, some keys and some use codes. There are many phone case wallets on Amazon.

1 Like

My D has been taking more trips into the city this year and Every time there is a problem…something expensive getting lost, ticket fines (her ticket didn’t work, so she climbed over the turnstile and her friend encouraged her to hurry because they would miss the train…€60 fine. The paper tickets almost always demagnetize and she had just bought them about 4 hours earlier….well I guess she learned a lesson, but it was pretty unjust), getting a little lost. I make her take the paper map now, as you can not count on your phone.
So, it’s been painful, but slowly she is improving, I hope. They are so smart most of the time, but not very practical.

1 Like

I have the same worry. My D18 got a cute lanyard that matched her backpack and wore it around her neck all freshman year, with her student ID and actual key to her dorm room. She also locked herself out numerous times and she had to pay a fee after the 3rd time. :grin:

S22, however, I cannot see every wearing a lanyard, and I agree that none of his sweat pants or shorts have zippered pockets and I suspect there will be at least one replacement of ID and keys next year. Don’t know how else he will learn though.

1 Like

For keys, I think I’m going to order The Keyper which attaches to a phone.

https://www.thekeyper.com/

I don’t remember where I saw it but it was recommended by someone. It could have just been someone on a Facebook group. But it seems like a good idea.

8 Likes

If he won’t carry a wallet, show him the Wallet Slayer phone cases or use a stick on wallet that goes on his phone (the stick ons are available on the same website). I use this phone case because I don’t like to always carry a separate wallet or purse and 100% vouch for these.

These are amazing phone cases that slim and lightweight and have survived my teen boy dropping his phone on the ground a hundred times.

Available here:

3 Likes

In case you missed this interesting and timely article

3 Likes

Exactly. No AO is going to say “your kid was good, pretty good.” I don’t believe they remember a specific essay or student with the huge numbers of applicants. Sorry. I’m sure the kid is amazing by the way and congrats!

1 Like

Essays matter a lot. We have had comments from three different decision makers from two schools – one of them is a dean of admissions when she met the applicants three months after the decision. At least they care enough to go lookup a kid’s application before meeting a kid and the essay is often the thing that sticks in their mind.

2 Likes

My D22 was just offered the transfer option for Cornell for sophomore year! I’m sure she will love Cal Poly but so nice to have that option!

17 Likes

Was she previously waitlisted and now offered a transfer? Or previously denied and now offered a transfer?

She was waitlisted and just got the email today offering her the transfer option.

2 Likes

Talk about college environments on opposite ends of the spectrum.

3 Likes

That is very cool. Congratulations !!

1 Like

Very different! :laughing: But she loved both for very different reasons! She applied for entomology at Cornell.

3 Likes

And likely a very different cost as well. Congratulations @aliwalsh76

2 Likes