Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 2)

Good point. I have to admit to being judgy when someone sent me a resume with the high school GPA listed. Granted, they attended a top high school in the US. But just the name of the high school would be enough. It is assumed you have a high GPA if you are accepted to attend that school…They are decades past high school graduation.

1 Like

I also have to calculate how old I am. I don’t see the point in focusing on my age. If I focus on it, I feel like I’ll slow myself down. One of my friends mentions age constantly and it’s such a bummer. She’s always asking me what years I graduated or something like that to find out my age. Then, she forgets and we go through it all again. :crazy_face:

And then I’m asked to explain why I do not want to talk about age and aging as though talking about it is the normal thing to do!?!?

I also don’t want to talk about the weather. :joy: :yawning_face:

Omg. I am way off topic. Sorry.

2 Likes

My condolences about your aunt. I’m so sorry about my our beloved pet, too.

1 Like

Yep, Alaska and Pennsylvania. We’re now in the lower 48, having survived C17’s and C23’s graduations. C25’s concert (that we had to miss due to travel) apparently went quite well, and so we’ll catch the recording once it’s up.

So yeah, it was crazy, but we’re in the winding-down phase of it now.

10 Likes

Someone who evaluates college transcripts for college teaching positions, I could care less what college, GPA, Honors, etc… is listed on your transcript. I just look at classes taken and if I can qualify you to teach based on your classes, and research interests, publications and presentations. One thing that does stick out and I find it to be a negative, along with my collogues and an indication of a unwillingness to face difficulty, is if we see a 4.0 transcript with Ws every semester. I don’t feel someone who drops a class every time they are challenged is not prepared for real life.

6 Likes

DD has turned in her last High School assignment! They kept them at it until the bitter end. Tomorrow is senior skip day and graduation events start Friday.

8 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I guess that is funny at a boarding school. :joy:

Sorry to have so cryptic! What I meant was I had never heard of “ditch day” or “skip day” until this week, when it was also mentioned at home.

“Back in the day,” anyone ditching a day at my highly restrictive private school without a written excuse from an adult (e.g., parent, doctor, etc) would have been suspended, regardless of how close it was to graduation.

I just found it amusing that this appears to be a nationally known custom for HS students, and I am only finding out about it this week.

I must be old, out of sync, or both!

4 Likes

Re senior skip day which I also never heard of - So My child missed a class last Friday telling me it was senior skip day (his teacher called him out on this missed class) However I have now learned that senior skip day at his school is actually this Friday I guess last Friday was a case of Senioritis!!!

@Londonkid2
I saw your message that is now deleted and I can’t reply to it. But you must be right. I don’t think I am very anonymous LOL. I am happy to respond if you want to message me again, but if you want to remain anonymous I get it.

1 Like

At my kid’s school it isn’t really a “skip” day as it is an approved activity.

4 Likes

That makes it more interesting! I’ll have to check to see if it’s the same here.

Thanks ha ha - I tried to DM you. I’m not sure it I did it successfully :slight_smile:

1 Like

I find this amusing. So a kid skipped school for one day, and the punishment was to keep him out of school for another day :grinning:

3 Likes

Fair point, but it was apparently reported to colleges by the HS (even after admissions season had concluded).

NO ONE dared finding out!

This intrigues me. How do you think colleges would respond (or care) if they learn that a student ditched school for a day? Regardless of whether it was before or after admissions decisions, I think they would roll their eyes at the school for reporting it. Chronic absenteeism, truancy, cheating are different. A single unapproved absence seems trivial.

At our HS, ditch day is a school sanctioned event.

9 Likes

Like I said, the operative word about my HS was “restrictive.”

We had Senior Skip day at my boarding school back in the early 80s. I and a number of others missed a Math exam. I guess it was critical mass so they decided to let us make it up by counting our Final much more than than intended. It worked out for me as I aced the final. Now that I think about it why did we have an exam so close to the Final? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Don’t most HS classes have an exam at the end of the last unit of instruction?

2 Likes