Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 2)

I think for some kids it’s not just about prestige, the super elite school is really the best fit. Of course, they will be fine going elsewhere and , for many money is a determining factor, but if it’s not then what a wonderful opportunity to be able to give them. D22 couldn’t have cared less and likely is doing better in a less prestigious environment but I think for D24, if she can get in to the elite schools she is targeting, it would be the place she is most likely to blossom the most. Wishing your child clarity today. She has great options all around!

9 Likes

Appreciate everyone’s feedback.
It feels like how in quantum physics no one can determine both the speed and position of electrons till it is recorded/observed!
So that’s what I told her no one knows what will be her experience. She has to make a decision based on her judgment.
As a writer it makes me think of a scenario -what If a girl has to chose between a handsome but broke guy and a very rich but not so handsome guy and the last one a a kind guy with no money or looks but she has to chose one!
All are great schools and I believe whatever is the will of cosmos that will be done!

2 Likes

Well #3 wouldn’t get picked :).

Us nice guys always finish last :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t make a college decision based on one friend’s perception of why, or how, they landed a job.

Applying for a job depends on so many factors - major, location, industry. Regardless of college attended, and regardless of placement in your class, applying for a first job requires a lot of applications and a lot of interviews. I think hundreds of companies is probably an exaggeration. The point is still the same - it takes effort to find a job - regardless of where you go.

13 Likes

You are right. But that’s most important, a kind human being to share one’s life especially if the other person is capable of earning money themselves!
I had this experience many times in my life when I thought someone was very handsome and then when their true color emerged let it be selfishness or arrogance! Then the same handsome guy looked ugly! And Vice versa.

2 Likes

I am surprised about this. Is this friend saying that UMich does not have access to some jobs that some other university will have in CS? One of the google founders is from UMich. The other is from UMD.

Why did this kid have to interview at 100s of places? His GPA may be low. There is more to the story here than this friend’s casual observation.

This is not to say that there is nothing to do here, and you can just toss a coin. UMich is crowded. You need to ascertain that UMD is not crowded. UMD has the most potential to be crowded from your list of 3. Penn State I think is a 500 sized class. UMD is a 1000+ sized class I think. But UMD definitely has a greater reputation for rigor. The Schreyer bit just gives creature comforts, registration priority, and maybe research access. The Schreyer bit does not give any more class rigor than what the general Penn State CS education will give you. Schreyer is not like Turing at UT Austin in that sense, which has separate honors classes in CS. And I think JHU has general private school comfort, but I doubt has the same CS breadth that UMD can offer – I am guessing. I don’t know for a fact. So there is a choice to be made. It is not about tossing a three-sided coin (by the way I don’t think a three sided coin can exist in physical reality :slight_smile: ).

4 Likes

Maryland Day sounds great, I wish we had been able to but twins had Prom last night, I had no idea everyone had to show up 2 hours early for pictures. Already told CS twin I wanted to see him at Maryland Day next year.

1 Like

We were at Maryland Day also. Parked in the Stadium garage, walked across the street to the Clarice and spent the whole day there, enjoying various musical and vocal performances.

We did meet up briefly with D and her Hubby, but they had other things that they wanted to do.

It was a Terrific Day!

2 Likes

Now imagine her excitement, if her quad looked like THIS:

2 Likes

I read in one of the parent FB groups I belong too a great suggestion for undecided students: Coin toss! Assign heads to school #1 and tails to school #2. Is your daughter hoping it lands on heads or tails? What does she feel about the outcome? Relief? Disappointment? Do another coin toss between whichever was selected the first round (1 or 2) and school #3 and repeat.

Which school feels like the best fit? Feels like home for her?

Were you able to take a deep dive into each school’s curriculum? School’s culture? Which kind of environment will she thrive in?

Good luck to your daughter!

5 Likes

S23 committed already, but he has been continuing to open the mail from the unselected schools and generally broadcasting “not really QUITE committed yet” vibes. Visiting reddit today I was amused by the following.

4 Likes

We made a final visit today to TCNJ. It was raining all day long, but it didn’t seem to matter. She said it was “good,” which is the most praise she has given any school.

We confirmed they will be establishing a new major in a field she is interested in next year so that’s big.

H and I couldn’t have been more impressed with TCNJ. It’s one of the more expensive on her list, but we would get half tuition for years three and four because of the new NJ FA program. In the case of TCNJ, I feel the money would be well spent. The campus environment is nice, smaller but well-maintained and very pretty. Lots of grass and trees. The advising seems excellent, and the outcomes are good. I saw much more diversity compared to other schools we visited.

There is still the issue of her starting as a non-matriculated student in a program that would give her a lot of support but would boot her out after the first semester if she failed a class. Small chance of that happening but it’s there.

My guess is she is weighing UMaine, SUNY ESF, and TCNJ. I will not say anything for now and let her think, but I’ve added number of sunny days and number of days with precipitation to my little spread sheet.

4 Likes

Why non matriculated ? Wasn’t she admitted? Can’t she start undecided or in another related major and move in when the new major opens?

Is the new major already there but splitting from other departments ? If it’s totally new, are you sure you want to be the guinea pig ? What if they can’t attract faculty ? Or need years to work out the bugs? On the other hand maybe they’d pour resources to see it to success ?

Bummer you couldn’t get to LSU but seems like mid size is her speed.

Best of luck.

1 Like

Well, I’m in NJ too and if she thought it was GOOD today, it should be great on a day that is not a torrential downpour!

Sending you good wishes with her decision.

7 Likes

I hope she can resist letting her friend’s comment sway her decision too heavily. Not knowing her friend and having not looked for a job for many years, I don’t know if it’s normal to apply to multiple hundreds of companies for a job. I’m rooting for her to choose with her heart. :heart:

1 Like

#1 sounds like trouble.

She is admitted to a special program where she would be formally admitted and a normal student after one semester of fewer classes and special advising. Two types of students are admitted to this program according to what I was told. One type of student is someone who just missed the cut off for requirements, maybe grades, test scores or a missing class. Another type of student is one who couldn’t get into a capped major that was maxed out but would still be a good candidate. My D could be either. She would live on campus like any other student. I think she would benefit from the advising and support because of all she missed during the pandemic. So while there’s a risk, there’s a special appeal with this program.

3 Likes

Oh, yeah, the new major just seems to be mostly new packaging of classes that already exist. But it would probably be better if it had been established and had a history of research, internship relationships, etc.

1 Like

It’s still coming down hard. It feels like we might float away.

2 Likes

It is somewhat analogous to students applying to many more colleges than they did in the past. Filling out and submitting job applications electronically has made it easier for students to apply for many jobs. Just as it is difficult for a student to personalize each college application, it is also difficult for a new grad to personalize “hundreds” of job applications.

Colleges use websites such as Handshake to post job opportunities. Handshake makes it easy for a student to upload a cover letter and resume and send them to multiple jobs listings in one sitting. It also means that each employer is receiving many more applications than positions are available.

Just like with college applications, stats alone will not land you a job. Applicants should look at the company’s website, reviewing job qualifications and, at a minimum, know what the company does. Spending time to showcase your strengths and why you would be a good fit, is important. Reading emails and following up in a timely fashion is critical.

3 Likes