Party/drinking questions

<p>is alabama a dry campus? when fraternities have parties do they have them at their actual houses or off campus houses?</p>

<p>If it’s a dry campus that would be in name only. Parties are at the houses.</p>

<p>Only some fraternities have parties at their houses. Know for a fact that ATO is a dry “House” (the structure)…they have their parties and swaps at local clubs and restaurants.
AL34 is correct…campus is dry in name only…you wouldn’t think that on a Friday or Saturday night.<br>
Remember though, drinking is a choice…we have had this discussion with DD and her boyfriend (she is in a sorority and he is in a fraternity)…neither know of ANY circumstance where alcohol was forced on a student (although BF did say he could not comment on pledgeship)</p>

<p>Echoing the other posters, Alabama is a dry campus in that alcohol cannot be sold on campus, with the exception of private suites at home football games. Alcohol is sold immediately off campus. Consumption of alcohol on campus is allowed provided that it is not in open containers outside, though open containers are permitted on and around the Quad on home football game days.</p>

<p>Fraternities and sororities follow their own bylaws and university regulations regarding party registration. This means that drinking might be allowed in their on campus houses for certain events, while for other events it might only be allowed in their off campus houses.</p>

<p>FWIW… my DS pledged. He made it known that he did not drink. An alternate non alcoholic beverage was ALWAYS available. As parents, we felt our DS’s fraternity treated him with respect.</p>

<p>Alcohol is allowed in the dorms provided it is in an area occupied by a person who is 21. It is not allowed in shared areas of suites where all residents are not of legal age. It is important for students to discuss these things before signing roommate contracts after move in (or earlier if possible). My D doesn’t drink, so this was important to get straight from the start for her.</p>

<p>If you don’t mind me asking what fraternity he is in that would be great! I would love for my son to be able to enjoy the Greek life without being required to get drunk, etc…any info you could share on expenses involved, etc that would be helpful as well.</p>