Partying at Boarding Schools

Aaaaaaand they pull me back in.

Couple things…

• Note the dates on the two reports; the aggregated report is now a few years old, the SOTA more recent. Maybe a distinction without a difference but wanted to point it out.

• I had a great time in HS and dare I say was happy there, but there’s no way in blazes I’d send my child there.

• Thinking about these issues and questions of happiness in comparison to other BS is, I think, really missing the larger truth, which is that if you posed these questions about happiness to most kids at most high schools of any kind in the US you’d like get a very tight distribution of responses.

My $.02. Worth what you paid for it.

1 Like

@DroidsLookingFor
do you take Venmo?

2 Likes

I just want to add a little perspective to this as a current high schooler. Right now, I’m at a well regarded, big, public school (albeit online), and attended a rigorous international boarding school last year.

The statistics in both of the above-listed reports are not concerning to me at all.

You have to evaluate what the answers to some of those questions really mean. When asked a question like “are you happy at your school”, your mind immediately jumps to two days ago when you were crying, skipped dinner, and failed a chem test. This doesn’t mean that kids aren’t usually more generally happy, it just means that extreme emotions (particularly negative ones) are a lot easier to recall. Besides, 86.7% of Andover students said they considered themselves happy at Andover, and 91.5% said if they had to make the choice again on attending, they would still attend. 82% said they had an adequate mental and/or emotional support system on campus. All three of those numbers seem remarkably high, and I think speak to the general attitude of students. 90% of surveyed students report never having been bullied while there. I know for a fact that number would be a lot lower at most schools. Mental health among teenagers is not great across the board. And in that regard, Andover seems to be doing just fine.

In a high-pressure environment, it makes sense that there is some substance abuse and partying. People under a lot of pressure will do that no matter where they are. I know kids my age who post on social media about doing drugs and throwing parties, and if you think that’s any different in private day schools I can assure you it’s not. I have friends at a good local Jesuit school and the drinking/drugs issues there are even worse than at my public school. Teenagers have sex. Once again, boarding school won’t change that. Hell, single sex schools might help, but realistically that’s not foolproof either.

There was a big Halloween party in my town that most high schoolers were going to (an extremely dumb move during covid). I was speaking to some upperclassmen on my swim team and asked if they were going. They all responded that they knew people who would be there, but themselves wouldn’t go anywhere near it. Why? “Because it’s a dumb idea,” and “We’d get kicked off the team if the school found out”. So just because people around you are participating in something, doesn’t mean that you lose all capacity for responsible decision making. I also noticed in the Andover survey that most of the questions asking if “X culture exists on campus”, resulted in many more “Yes” answers than when asked, “have you ever participated in X activity”.

If your kid surrounds themselves with good people, they will be fine. And by good people, I don’t mean dumping a friend because you heard they drank beer at a party last week, I mean being around people who will respect and understand your personal values and not pressure you to do anything you don’t want to. I have some great friends who I know drink every now and then, and who are somewhat sexually promiscuous. I was raised in a Catholic family with very high opinions against that, and have no issue telling my friends that “No, I am not going to that party with you” and they can respect that. They don’t judge me, and I don’t judge them. If you trust that your kids won’t be easily influenced then they will be fine. Make your expectations clear. And to be honest, if your kid wants to drink/party it doesn’t really matter if they live at home or at school. You may feel that you can control it better when they live with you (and in some cases that’s necessary), but teenagers (especially smart ones) will figure out a way around whatever barrier you try to implement.

As for cheating, kids cheat. They shouldn’t, but they do. Assuming that grades are not on a curve they’re not hurting anyone. And, in the vast majority of cases teachers know who the cheaters are, even when it can’t be proven. I imagine in a place like Andover, with small class sizes and the Harkness table, it’s pretty clear to teachers who knows what they’re doing and who doesn’t. Sure, kids probably can and do get away with cheating on one or two quizzes a semester/year, but anyone doing it more than that will likely attract suspicion very quickly. There is a big difference between asking “have you ever cheated?” and “How often do you cheat?”.

I will also add from my experience last year that as a freshman it was not difficult to be ignorant of the more illicit activities going on. It wasn’t until half-way through the year when my close friend befriended a senior girl in our dorm, that we became aware that there even was a drinking/sex culture on campus. Even still, it wasn’t difficult to stay away from. These activities are not being done out in the open.

As for current students ‘not wanting their kids to go there’, that’s probably not indicative of their opinions once they’ve left the school. While being at my school last year my mom suggested the idea of my little sister applying when she was older, which I was strongly opposed to. When you’re going through something challenging, you don’t want someone you love to be subjected to the same. Now that I’ve been gone for many months, I can acknowledge that even on the worst days I was surrounded by great people and those ‘bad’ experiences helped me gain resilience and perspective. I would now have no issue with my sister going there.

On paper, some of these answers don’t look good, but honestly, if a survey was done like this at my old school or current school I’m sure it would be the same if not substantially worse.

If you’re worried that your kid will go away and become a raving alcoholic, drug-taking, party animal, then maybe they’re not ready to leave home. However, they will be met with people who engage in those activities wherever they are. To some extent you have to trust that they’re responsible enough to not be so easily influenced. And also acknowledge that the majority of these boarding school students go onto great universities and careers. During my Andover interview, the interviewer told me that it’s insane how many alums come back to try and help the school, (during the admission process and in general). I’m sure things could be improved upon, but I find it very hard to believe that there are significant ‘campus culture’ issues with results like that.

Kids at boarding school are away from their parents, which is why I think many parents are concerned that these things are going on. But kids will experience what they experience no matter where they are.

(Sorry for the lengthy reply, I’m currently sitting in an online gym class bored out of my mind.)

8 Likes

Online gym. Is that like mental gymnastics?

1 Like

Hahaha nope. Mental gymnastics would require actually using our brains.

Today’s assignment was watching a video from 2006 about a kid trying to decide if it’s responsible to jump off the cliff because his friends are doing it and told him it’s fun. It took them 20 minutes to explain why he shouldn’t. Then at the end he did anyway, and died.
After that my teacher lamented for 10 min on his favorite donut shop closing, and proceeded to tell us that the next unit we’re studying is nutrition. No irony there, whatsoever.
This was followed by a “Star Wars Jedi workout” and a “Batman kids workout”. So much fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wVo6HmfIds&t=397s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dLNbAcMqzc

2 Likes

Sorry but yes, they ARE hurting all of the kids who did not cheat. If I and my ten friends cheated on every test for four years and we represented the top 10% of a class of 100, and you were #11 instead of #1. And so on. Cheating takes away from those who work hard and allows losers ahem, cheaters to gain an advantage. Sorry if my kid cheated and we found out, we’d pull them ourselves.
And yes, other kids do know who cheats and they resent those kids. My kids work hard, others do too. When people don’t play by the rules or make their own rules everyone loses.

5 Likes

You didn’t read the next few sentences, where I said “teachers know who the cheaters are, even when it can’t be proven,” and “kids probably can and do get away with cheating on one or two quizzes a semester/year, but anyone doing it more than that will likely attract suspicion very quickly”. I’m not talking about “cheating on every test for four years” like you stated. If somebody is cheating on every test for four years, or even every other, I have to imagine the odds of being caught are fairly high. Not to mention, I find it highly unlikely that you can end up at the top of your class from cheating, for the reason you stated above. It’s clear who’s working hard and who isn’t. Cheaters aren’t hard workers, and except in rare cases, that shows. I’ve had conversations with teachers at my old school (where there was a rampant cheating issue, and things were scored on a curve). The kids know who cheats, and so do the teachers. Neither group likes them.

Nevertheless, I’ll admit that my original comment was ignorant and didn’t come across how I meant, so thank you for correcting me on that. I did not mean that cheating is okay, and would never condone it. I know for a fact that my own parents would murder me if I cheated on a test/quiz, and that it’s dishonest and unfair. What I meant by my statement is that it’s going to happen regardless, and like you said, everybody knows who those kids are. My line of reasoning was more “they’re only hurting themselves”, but in hindsight that makes no sense. I was thinking that in a school without class rank/curved scores, if the teacher had suspicions it wouldn’t effect others. However, clearly because of GPA and other factors that’s not true.

I definitely should’ve written the original comment differently. My mistake.

I’ll also add that Andover doesn’t have class rank, but in terms of college admissions you’re completely right.

My issue and example is with the idea that cheating or other ways of breaking the rules aren’t without victims. I used the 4-year example to exaggerate.
Many colleges ( and some BS) have rules where those who cheat are thrown out. We know a kid thrown out of BS before his Senior year. I bet his parents have a different view. And guess what, college acceptances were zero. Had to take time off and regroup. His school had no rank either. Didn’t matter.

It doesn’t matter if one is caught or not, it’s wrong and should not be explained away. I get it, you were just saying that it happens a lot. Maybe it does at your school. There are also schools where there is zero tolerance. There are also schools where it goes on your record so can follow a student for a long time.
Sorry, I’m just not a fan of those who cheat to get what they want in sports, academics or any other field.

3 Likes

I completely agree. I’ve never said that cheating is in any way okay, or can be explained away. I also never said anything along the lines of it being okay if you don’t get caught. Not sure where you got that idea.
My original statement was wrong and I corrected it. Cheating does have have victims.
For the record, my school does have zero tolerance. And people still do it. People cheat in the most well regarded universities as well. Saying that something happens is just a fact, it is not an endorsement. I know your ‘four year example’ was an exaggeration, but it is also unrealistic. As I stated above, cheaters aren’t hard workers and it shows. Most of the time people know who the rampant cheaters are.
I thought it went without saying that people shouldn’t cheat (even though I do say that, in the original, and multiple times in the follow up). But I’ll say it again. People shouldn’t cheat. And it would be really nice if they didn’t.
I personally have never cheated, because I know it is wrong and how serious the consequences are, but I still know people who have. Maybe my perspective is influenced by having been at a school in Asia, where cheating is a lot more prevalent, but I’ve still never said and never will say that it’s okay.
Please stop painting my stance as sympathetic towards cheating, because that’s an inaccurate representation of what I’ve actually said. My original statement was wrong, I’ve acknowledged that, however I think at this point it would be unfitting/dishonest to edit it out of the original post.

I feel like if I click on those ‘workout’ links my head is going to explode.

1 Like

:clown_face:

10/10 would recommend these super fun, hip, kool kid workouts!

LMAO THATS HILARIOUS

Seeing these, I’m really glad my school doesn’t have gym

you’re very lucky.

I’m now trying to remember what the original topic was…Aricept anyone?

Andover students get excited each year about the State of The Academy. It oftentimes reaches upwards of a 90% participation rate. Everyone is honest because of its anonymity, and the administration supports its publication in their strive for more transparency. Andover students do not do more drugs or cheat more or have more sex than students in other top boarding schools. Going to these boarding schools give kids the opportunity to meet an incredibly diverse group of students, some of who began drinking at 16 or younger. You meet people who are poor and rich, black and white, domestic and international, nerdy or sporty. It is up to parents to decide whether or not they trust their child to navigate a community like Andover’s or whether they would rather deny them the opportunity to grow personally and academically because of an irrational fear that another student will take a peek at the child’s math quiz.

2 Likes

Cannot unsee. Would like to.

2 Likes

Speaking from personal experience, Phillips Exeter has very forgiving policies in terms of discipline and rule-breaking. Drug issues are often treated as mental health cases, where counseling is required and parents are notified. They are usually not put in disciplinary records. However, cheating and breaking the law (other than drugs) is considered more important and can lead to disciplinary consequences, which may land on your discipline record and could result in suspension or even a request to leave. There aren’t any parties here but there is a big hookup culture that is usually ignored by faculty up until COVID times, for health reasons. In addition, there is some alcohol/drug use but most students are very private about it. It’s not a party school but it is understanding in terms of drug use and teenage behaviors.

1 Like