Peddie vs Kent

Being a swimmer at Peddie requires a certain level of commitment to the sport but the team is extremely welcoming and supportive of swimmers at all levels.

1 Like

Thanks for the insights and perspective! Peddieā€™s swimming is all year around and it is a bigger commitment. Also good to know that Kent also has good STEM to offer.

Youā€™re right ā€“ there really isnā€™t a ā€œwrongā€ decision. I will let my DD drive the decision making process ā€¦

3 Likes

Update: my DD went to revisit at Peddie and LOVED it! She hit it off instantly not only with her student host, but also the hostā€™s roommates and friend group! She went to two classes Spanish honor and arts, which actually are not her favorite subjects (she would have preferred math and history), but end up loving the classes and think itā€™s challenging but interesting. When the official day ended, she met up with the swim coach and participated in a practice with the team. She had told me she will only swim for 45min but ended up staying till the end of the practice! The girls in her lane really took care to look after her. Iā€™d say the atmosphere of the swim team seems to be competitive but also friendly. So now, she wants to go back to Peddie and starts classes there right away, LOL.

As for me, the biggest take away from the revisit day was how nice the accepted studentsā€™ parents are. Within minutes, ppl at my table introduced themselves and conversation flowed easily with each one of us sharing our experiences. These are genuine people and I can see myself being part of this community.

So, Kent revisit is next week, and I am really looking forward to it. My DD has been favoring Kent until the Peddie revisit. So far all communications from Kent and families have been wonderful and also feel very genuine and authentic. I am super curious how it will turn out. It might make the choice even harder!

5 Likes

That is very Peddie IMO The community is very friendly and quite down to earth. I am pretty sure you will find similar warmth at Kent.

She will have a tough choice ahead of her. It wonā€™t surprise me if in the end the decision is a lifestyle one. Does she want to swim year round or not?

Humanities (freshman year History + English combined) is an overall favorite. Interesting text and discussions, with an occasional sprinkle of sci-fi :joy: Teachers are all excellent. Because itā€™s 2 classes combined it meets more frequently and the groups become pretty tight.

3 Likes

Happy to hear you and your DD had a great day!

Revisit days are essential for choosing boarding schools. I also got accepted at Kent but Iā€™m an international student, so Iā€™ll only be relying on websites and Zoom webinars instead of traveling to campus this year. However, itā€™s still nice to hear about other studentsā€™ experiences at Revisit Days, since itā€™s helpful to know what kind of ā€œfeelingā€ a schoolā€™s community creates.

Please give an update on Kentā€™s revisit day next week! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

we are in the same metaphoric boat - virtual revisits

2 Likes

If you are doing everything virtually, donā€™t hesitate to ask to connect directly with students or parents outside of the ā€œformalā€ virtual revisit programming.

The conversation will be more candid and you will be able to ask whatever questions come to mind without having to worry about hogging the meaning or whateverā€¦

1 Like

I will! I think what the revisit day at Peddie has shown me is that it is about the people, as these schools all offer amazing resources. Itā€™s about the kid finding their people because theyā€™re the ones staying there for 4 years away from home. So, I am eagerly waiting for the Kent revisit ā€¦

3 Likes

Hi, just wondering, what school did you end up choosing?
:slight_smile:

Thanks for checking!

We ended up choosing Peddie. It was a really tough decision, as my DD thoroughly enjoyed Kent during revisit day too. It was a beautiful sunny day and the campus was so dreamy. But ultimately, it was the prospect of being able to swim at Peddie that decided the matter.

We are just so glad that itā€™s over! And I want to thank everyone who have replied here and PMed me for your candor, willingness to share information, and warmth ā€¦

Wish everyone luck in your own journey!

8 Likes

Congratulations! Iā€™m certain that your daughter will have a wonderful, enriching experience at Peddie!

4 Likes

Thanks!

My DD just got accepted to Peddie. Would love to hear any insight (from you, or others), one year later! :slight_smile: Thanks.