Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

At Rutgers, classes are located on multiple campuses and to get to them, students need to take buses.
If you visited the Honors College, you probably visited the College Avenue Campus.
Dorms may be at any of 4 or 5 campus blocks along with specific buildings (one campus has the Ag school, one has Business, etc…) Students have to take the buses into account when they schedule classes. That set up is the biggest downside imho.

same… college of engineering intended major CS

If you were only on college Ave., you missed a lot of Rutgers. My twins were actually on the last official tour before the Covid shutdown, the bus took them to each campus.

We are planning to attend dinner gala tonight at Rutgers and hopefully we will get more information.

1 Like

Definitely a tough choice. But if you’re looking for links to great companies, Rutgers is right in the backyard of many major companies. I am sure Penn State has a great placement program as well, but they are in the middle of nowhere. Just another view to consider.

That’s funny. Penn state has the largest career fair east of the Mississippi. They are known for excellent career services. They may be “in the middle of nowhere”, but they have devoted alumni and companies that go out of their way to recruit at Penn State.

4 Likes

If you look at campus recruiting/placement outcomes, Penn State is definitely ahead. I don’t have a kid there and I am not an alum so this isn’t a personal bias. One of Penn State’s recognized strengths is its recruiting network.

2 Likes

Academically the schools are very similar. Both very Big with a lot of opportunity both academically and socially. Penn State has a lot more school spirit when it comes to their Football program and attending the school in general. Rutgers has a very diverse student body and leans much more progressive. Rutgers is spread out and buses are used to get to different schools. Easy proximity to NYC and many more opportunities for work in NJ. Lots of internship opportunities and job opportunities near Rutgers. I suggest going to both accepted students days and picking the school that they feel more excited about attending or where he feels more at home.

2 Likes

Yes that’s what I thought so too but everyone says PSU, Schreyers is a great program .
Yes I love the location of Rutgers but looks like you have to use a bus to get to classes.

I have heard same thing from many people including the PSU campus bus driver! He was.a chatty guy he said they offer lot of help in placement including they let you borrow professional clothes!
Then I went into a career fair in UPenn and by error I entered a wrong hall and met with an employer who told me they don’t go to PSU! Who cares if that one company or snob companies such as that doesn’t go to PSU it’s their loss!
There will always be companies and people like that we can always find some other companies and someone else.
Overall PSU is instate and Schreyer seems to be a great program.

Deleted

But Daughter is not sure! I love the location and diversity. I heard some employers like public school
Grads than other fancy schools
Most importantly since she got into their honors college it comes with four year renewable scholarships which brings the cost to same as PSU.

One thing to consider is that some of these other schools are commuter schools and they clear out on weekends. Penn State may be “in the middle of nowhere”, but cute little college towns are vibrant and fun. And that is what State College is. There is a reason it is called “Happy Valley”.

Honestly @swan1 what does your daughter want? It sounds like you want Rutgers or another “fancy” school. As to the conversation at that other school, there are always employers who choose specific target schools - all I can say is that the career fair at Penn State is the largest east of Mississippi. And yes, they hire. There is a waiting list for companies to get on the list to recruit.

good luck with the decision.

edited to add: it seems like you are disappointed that she ‘only’ got into Penn State. maybe it isn’t the right school then. I will just share that there are many very bright, very talented students who go there. She shouldn’t feel like she is settling to only go to her in-state option. So, for that reason, maybe Rutgers is a better choice.

2 Likes

OP’s child didn’t “only” get into Penn State though, she got into Schreyer, which is one of the top Honors Colleges in the country (and highly selective, with admitted students all more impressive than the other - several thousands of applicants for 300 spots.) Honestly it’s the first time I hear of Rutgers (even with Honors) being considered alongside Schreyer but to each their own. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I believe Rutgers honors admits 500 students, it’s a very competitive admit, but has only been around since 2015.

2 Likes

fair point. but on other thread, she is saying things like “I understand. My point is any average kid gets into their state school in the end that’s where my kid is going to right?” and “Just feel this kid didn’t needed any of her hard work to go to a instate school.” and “So I personally feel demotivated and all her sacrifices such as missing only wedding in this country we ever got invited to attend a debate tournament and made it to nationals went useless. She could have gotten to PSU with her eyes closed as I don’t care for any honors or not. I believe she too is feeling the same, well what can we do.
I would rather have her attend a local community college if she is willing to and save 15K from paying to PSU.”

I don’t think Penn State is the right fit for this kid. (I’m not sure Rutgers is either, but that is for her to figure out).

1 Like

Most of the kids admitted to Schreyer were gunning for Ivy+ colleges, so obviously they’re disappointed, till they meet their peers and see what Schreyer offers (and feel valued.)
That’s not to diss Rutgers Honors (the Engineerings Honors students, in particular, are amazing), but it’s just not Schreyer, just like OK Honors is not Plan II despite having so many NMFs.
My own feelings on location are highly subjective: I feel that the best time to live in a college town is when you’re in college, and the best time to live in a city is when you have a job ie., disposable income, but no kids yet. :slight_smile: YMMV!

2 Likes

I think this is where the advice of “fall in love with a safety” really hits home. It becomes especially difficult when finances come into play and you are going for the unicorn of highly selective college AND merit/need so you can afford it.

College towns? They can be great and have resources that a similar sized (non-college) town does not. My retired parents lived in a college town and always enjoyed the theater and music professors’ concerts, municipal band, etc. it depends on what you like!

1 Like

Yeah, I’m planning on attending Penn State. I really love their program and my second choice school was West Chester. I don’t really want to go there as their classes don’t focus a lot on the forensic science that I like other than chemistry.

1 Like