Personal Statements

<p>Are you required to do the two personal statements for Madison? What happens if you don't?</p>

<p>Last year, when my son applied, the essays were described as optional. However, the website also said that essays were important and students should write specifically in response to the prompts, not some generic Common App essay. My advice would be that, unless you have top grades and test scores and are in state, you should plan on writing. Teacher recs are also optional but again, given how much more competitive admissions have become, anything which shows that you are well-qualified to do the work is to your advantage.</p>

<p>We have friends who are on the faculty at UW and they report that kids at their magnet programs/very good high schools were getting rejected this year who would have been easy admits a few years ago. The same thing has happened in our home state, Indiana. The 3.3 kids who didn’t stress about getting into Bloomington are now routinely rejected. </p>

<p>Put together the most complete app you can – imagine how you might feel if you are postponed in the fall and don’t get a final answer until next March.</p>

<p>Agree–unless you are a mortal lock take the essays seriously–they do.</p>

<p>I’ll post a brief summary of stats to help. 32 ACT, 4.0 UW GPA with most rigorous course. Good, nothing great extracurriculars. Also double legacy (father and brother). Do you guys think this is clear admit without personal statements.</p>

<p>What is the problem with doing the personal statements?</p>

<p>No, I don’t think it’s a clear admit and I would hope they wouldn’t admit someone that lazy. Legacy doesn’t mean much if anything.</p>

<p>I probably am going to. I’m just curious. Also why don’t you think I’m a clear admit.</p>

<p>My son had the exact same stats as you this year. But better extracurriculars than you seem to have. Out of state as well. He wrote the two essays AND got two recommendations. He was admitted and will be attending this fall. I suggest you do the same. I don’t know for sure, but I do not think UW-Madison cares about legacies.</p>

<p>I’m in state and Uw Madison does factor in legacies. Did your son get into any of the elite colleges like northwestern or washu?</p>

<p>Our son has 3.7 uw/4.0 w gpa with 31 ACT, NHS, lots of athletics and other EC’s and volunteering at highly rated IL HS. Wrote all essays and had outstanding rec’s. Admitted to Michigan, Indiana, Miami Ohio and Case Western. Deferred with subsequent admit to Wisconsin (will attend) and Illinois. Wait listed at Villanova and rejected from Boston College and North Carolina. This year was extremely competitive at higher rated universities and anything you can do to distinguish yourself and look committed to being a serious college student will help a lot.</p>

<p>A student with a 32 ACT and 4.0 UW GPA who does not write the optional essays may appear to Admissions as someone only applying as a safety who is not really interested in attending if offered a spot.</p>

<p>Is this your situation?</p>

<p>So, checking the UW Common Data set for the entering class of 2011, the last year available for this: Essays are identified as “Important” in the admission decision; the only higher category is “Very Important”. Legacy is identified as “Considered,” the same category as teacher recommendations.</p>

<p>For the class entering in 2011, 57% had gpa over 3.75 and the same percentage were in the top 10% of their class. 35% had ACT composite 30-36 range.</p>

<p>If this is your safety, take the time to write the essays so that you get admitted and it can be your safety. If you are postponed, like many well-qualified students are, you will be very frustrated with yourself come early winter when your friends are relaxed, knowing they have a good choice and you are still sweating whether you will get in to U let alone any privates that you are waiting on. </p>

<p>As a parent of a just graduated senior, we have seen many broken hearts and dreams of bright kids in the college application process. Just because a student falls within a school’s range for stats for admitted students does not mean they themselves will be admitted. The telling statistic is what are the stats of the rejected kids – experience shows that they are very similar to the stats of admitted kids. </p>

<p>So if UW is your safety while you are hoping for admission to some of the same private universities as 30,000 other seniors, make sure you get in to your safety. Write the essays.</p>

<p>1995Andrew: My son had 4.0 UW, 4.275 W,ACT of 32, had class rank of 10/432. He did not apply to those universities you listed as he was not interested in those schools (prefers big schools and ones with his major ) and ones he could for sure get a chance to do undergraduate research at (UW definitely provides this) as he intends to go on to graduate school for PhD. He also is a Posse Scholar at UW Madison so once he was selected for that, he had to rescind all his other applications since it is early admission and binding.</p>

<p>Thank you for your helpful advice.</p>

<p>Also people do you think living in Madison helps, hurts or doesn’t matter?</p>

<p>So you attend West or Memorial H.S.? I can’t imagine why it would matter if you are a Madison resident, unless the person reviewing your application sees that you are the only one from your H.S. out of over 100 applicants who didn’t bother with the essays. In that case it could hurt.</p>

<p>We would like to clarify that the written statements in the application are required. A counselor will not review an application without them.</p>

<p>Yeah west high school. UW Madison is definitely one of my top choices.</p>

<p>UWMadisonAdmiss: Thanks so much for chiming in and clarifying that the personal statements are (now) required.</p>

<p>1995Andrew: one of your top choices, along with Duke? Is cost a consideration for your family or not really? Just curious. </p>

<p>It makes sense to me that with such an excellent institution in our own back yard, Wisconsin residents should save the money for grad school and attend instate.</p>

<p>@Madison85: No, cost is not an issue for us. We won’t need any need based financial aid and would be able to pay full for Duke or Uw Madison. That’s why I’m conflicted at how I’m going to apply lime whether ED or not. Also how did you know Duke was also a top choice of mine, lol? Also where did you go to for HS in Madison.</p>