Physics and Theater - Is it even possible?

Since Physics major is only available at Rose Hill and Theater is at Lincoln Center - is it possible to double major or major/minor in these two academic areas? Does the audition based theater program even allow a minor or allow students to double major?

If not, are there other schools in NYC area that would be a good fit? We don’t qualify for any aid at all, and think paying full retail price is a very bad idea, so looking for somewhere that provides merit discounts/scholarships.

I thought you wanted to pay less than $60K. :slight_smile:

Stony Brook is strong in physics and is close - so take a look. Hofstra isn’t far from the city - and as they say - No audition is required to major in drama performance at Hofstra University.

I looked at New School b4 but doesn’t have Physics. CUNY Baruch just a minor. Marymount Manhattan is a BFA. Pace didn’t work. Manhattan College might as might Sarah Lawrence.

Your other list was “huge” but if NYC is the interest - there are schools there or close.

Good luck.

1 Like

1)I think it would be logistically difficult to have a major on each campus at Fordham (if it is even allowable). There is a van going between the two campuses but it would eat up a lot of time.

2)The theater major at LC is an intense program with (I believe) admission by audition only. I expect a double major with theater would be quite difficult (if it is allowed) – particularly when a lab science is the second major.

3)Would the cost work? Have you run net price calculator?

2 Likes

Fordham drama is a BA, not a BFA. It is not as intense as some of the other audition based acting programs and not as competitive an entrance. There is no MT there though(I saw that your D was MT after suggesting). The two campuses are connected by a shuttle but I don’t know if it is logistically possible to
Commute back and forth. The price should work with merit, esp if your D is a NMF. My S21 got significant merit for talent and high stats kids will get academic merit.
I think pace also has a BA acting program (I am not sure though). I don’t know anything about their physics program) and their merit for high stats kids is very very generous.

here is the info from the website, they take 2-3 academic courses a semester (vs my kid at UNCSA where they take 0-1)

1 Like

At Fordham, a physics major requires 20 classes (unless you test out of the intro classes such as intro physics, intro chem and calc, so maybe 17 minimum.) Pairing Fordham’s theater major with this would be extremely difficult, especially because of the 2 campuses. Shuttle takes 30-60 min depending on traffic but is free. You can also take Metro North which is faster, but the fares add up. A physics major paired with a theater minor would be doable, I think, but still inconvenient. Fordham’s theater program is not musical theater, although they occasionally put on plays with singing/dance elements. Rose Hill does have a strong theater club, and they stage at least one musical per year. Unless your student gets one of the big merit scholarships at Fordham (there are a few) the total COA is not likely to hit your budget. I like Fordham’s theater department (my kid is a theater tech major) but I think for those who want to double major in a lab science, the split campus is a real barrier, and you can probably do better elsewhere.

1 Like

I would like to! We can pay retail, but I just don’t think the ROI makes sense, so, as I stated in the other thread, we would like to ideally pay less than $60 but it is not a hard ceiling.

Sometime you have to set it hard - example, I’m full pay but had a $50K cap.

It’s just a great way to eliminate schools - which at some point becomes hard.

We applied to schools and would have a Rochester, because it is possible, but when the acceptances rolled in, we eliminated any that didn’t get to our #.

If you can eliminate some now given Rochester meets really none of what you’ve continued to describe as more info comes out, well - it’ll save time later.

Just curious - with Arizona a top physics school, great for performing (not sure if the two can be combined) and all in at $25K; in a city with easy street car to downtown - and they lock the price for four years…it seems the perfect school and crushes the ROI argument. You could even live off campus I believe and they have super modern privates right on the border of campus.

But I haven’t seen excitement from you on it. Your initial list has many large publics and it’s no different.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I have been very quiet about Arizona. :expressionless: Very low interest from us and kiddo due to the climate (both the physical climate (too hot and dry) and the political climate (too conservative and racist).

Political environment - Tucson is very blue and the state obviously has a blue governor. But politics / political climate are a personal thing - so you have to do what’s best for you. It’s not like upstate NY is a bastion of blue :slight_smile:

The weather - Tucson is cooler because of the elevation - have you been?

If Arizona is out for politics, then why is NC, Utah and several Ohio schools on the list?

“Cooler” is all relative – sure maybe Tucson isn’t quite as hot as Phoenix. I’d call Flagstaff (home of NAU) “cooler”. I’ve been to AZ a lot, and I talk weekly with a collaborator at the U of Arizona. He mentions the weather every time. Tucson is scorching compared to most of the US.

So maybe the political climate combined with the weather puts it over the edge, while some other schools in red states are still okay.

2 Likes

Yes - exactly that. I’m very familiar with all western states. Flagstaff is lovely - but NAU doesn’t meet any of her criteria. Ohio and NC, while conservative, are at least not also as hot and dry (she thinks she will prefer hot and green - though I disagree with that personally). We are also a part-Hispanic family and the conservative politics of Arizona are particularly personally aggravating in that regard.

1 Like

Confused about the ROI aspect. Frankly, I am not sure any college has positive ROI for musical theater.

1 Like

Not sure if this might be of interest but it’s the list of Hispanic - Serving Institutions. It’s quite large. Segmented by state. Both 2 and 4 year.

If your student happens to qualify to be a National Hispanic Recognition Scholar, keep in mind that Fordham does give some full tuition scholarships for this recognition. In the past, ~70% received this scholarship although rumor has it that the % has really dropped in the last few years. Even so, perhaps worth applying as you say your student wants to be in NYC. Again, a double major in Physics and Theater would be almost impossible, but a major/minor would perhaps be doable.

3 Likes

100 agree. Physics is where the ROI comes in. (See above - she would be either a dual degree Physics/Theater or Physics Major and Musical Theater minor. )

oh man - this hasn’t been on our radar at all! We will definitely look through those options. Her dad is hispanic so she definitely meets the 25% hispanic requirement. Woot!

1 Like

I’m going to PM you.

1 Like

One school you may want to look into is Drew. It’s a 45-minute train ride from NYC (so less time than the shuttle between the Rose Hill and Lincoln Center campuses), it also has produced a number of physics PhD students. According to its drama website, it is ranked by the Princeton Review as being in the top 25 for college theater and it offers a minor in MT. Your D would likely receive an excellent merit aid package as well.

1 Like