Physics in sophomore year

Hello! I am a freshman in high school right now entering sophomore year. I am choosing my courses for sophomore year next week and was wondering if I should either take physics, physics honors or just skip physics all together? Will colleges care if I don’t take physics or will they care whether or not I take honors or not? For reference I have an A in science and a C+ in geometry honors. Math is not my strong suit! Thanks! :slight_smile:

Some colleges do prefer to see all three sciences (biology, chemistry, physics) in high school for frosh applicants.

In most high schools, physics is usually last science taken after biology and chemistry, since it tends to require more math knowledge. Can you take biology or chemistry first and physics later?

1 Like

Yes I can take chemistry first and then physics but I actually have the chance to skip physics all together. Will that heavily affect my chances of going to a good college? Also btw I’m looking at colleges between 15 to 30 percent mainly.

Also I am looking to go into journalism not anything with STEM

Do you mean colleges with acceptance rates between 15&30%?

If so then those are generally all going to prefer chem, bio, and physics PLUS a 4th yr of science at a higher level if possible, for anyone whose school offers that.

Take Physics if you are aiming for this level of school, but considering your math, wait and take it 11th or even 12th. Physics is very math heavy.

1 Like

It would be a good idea for a journalist to have broad general knowledge in order to be able to understand and write about varying subjects.

Work with your guidance counselor and teachers to determine the right course level and sequence. FWIW at our HS it is typical to take bio and chem before physics.

Selective colleges typically look for applicants to complete a sequence of bio, chem, and physics in HS.

2 Likes

Take chemistry honors sophomore year, physics regular or “conceptual” (ie., light on math) in 11th grade, then top it off with AP Environmental Science senioe year. To strengthen your science profile you could take Ap CS Principles on top of that if you have space in your schedule, or Anatomy&Physiology or Astronomy or Marine Science.
What grade did you get in Algebra1 honors? a C+ in Geometry Honors would imply regular Algebra2 rather than Algebra2H then regular precalculus and finally AP Stats.
Those would be ok for a student with a very strong Humanities profile- meaning several AP history courses (including art history), AP English Lang&Lit, one world language through AP level, DE philosophy and social sciences, electives in writing or literarure, etc.
Skipping the intro to Physics class is a bad idea if you’re aiming at highly selective colleges.