Pitt Merit Aid thread - Class of 2027

We were there yesterday for the admitted student day. I will say, of course to not give up hope and anything is possible… but, we spoke with a person in financial aid, and they gave the same response “we review until March 1st” but admitted that the “pot of money” is dwindling. (she may not have used that term, but that’s what she meant) again, don’t give up hope. We, personally took that to mean, it’s not coming.

2 Likes

Ok good to know! I like to be realistic moving forward. We are visiting for the MVP multicultural event on Friday and accepted student day on Saturday. I’m also realistic about the Chancellor’s award. Looks like they admit 600 students to honors and only choose 50 to interview for it and I think less than 15 get it. So Pitt might not work out financially but we will try to be optimistic while realistic at the same time.

1 Like

Nope . Not a dime. Count me amongst the confused. Also high stat kid.

2 Likes

Yep still $0 merit. Sadly we’re going to cancel our visit to come this weekend. So disappointed

3 Likes

No communication here for chemistry major. u Of md and Ohio state gave generous offers

3 Likes

Same here, but for CS. OOS.

2 Likes

Check your document center for honors letters. My son was waitlisted :disappointed:

Honestly, this is a game-changer because he doesn’t want a huge school but said he’d consider Pitt if he were to get into the honors program, thinking it might make it feel smaller. We understand that Pitt honors is extremely competitive, so not totally shocking, but this is his only honors waitlist so far.

Also, still no merit award to be found. We are still going to follow-through on our visit this weekend (Friday-Saturday) since the MVP event pays for our hotel and gas (so nothing lost) but Pitt will probably not work out for us in the end.

Hope many of you get good news on honors!

2 Likes

Awww, my kid also was waitlisted. But you have several amazing offers, and I’m sure your son will thrive, even if not at Pitt.
I think my son is starting to realize that actions have consequences, and he’s regretting a few choices he made in junior year. That’s life. He’ll be fine!

3 Likes

My son got into Honors. I am still confused how zero merit, zero aid and got into Honors. The waiting continues.

3 Likes

Congratulations! Did you get an email to check the portal?

1 Like

Congrats! I think I recall some parents from the 2022 Pitt Honors thread with similar confusion. No money but invited to Pitt Honors-seems so weird. But now your son has a shot at being invited for a Chancellor’s interview so don’t give up yet. I think those invited will hear within a week or so. Good luck!

2 Likes

D23 was admitted to Honors. She got a letter regarding merit aid a few weeks ago. $5000 per year.
She also got into honors at Virginia Tech, which will still come in more affordable than Pitt, even with no merit or financial aid.

2 Likes

Yes, I am not too worried about it since he has other very good options/offers and Pitt was never at the top of his list anyway. I’m sure your son is just being tough on himself (sounds like my son!) I think our main regret is not getting the common app in soon enough. We thought he had to have the honors essay in before submitting the common app, but not the case we later learned. The sad thing and irony is that my son took SO much time on his honors essay, being the perfectionist he is, so didn’t turn in his app until 11/29. This likely hurt him in the merit department. However, I’m a big believer in the “our kids will end up where they are meant to be” philosophy so things happen for a reason. Both our kids will be fine and will each choose a great college home to enjoy for the next 4 years!

2 Likes

While my son has merit and honors at Pitt, he got no honors or merit at Purdue, which surprised us. We want every school to love our kids but we really just need one!

3 Likes

So this is interesting. He got an email over weekend to check portal. Nothing showed up until Today! But he also said the decision was released/ made on Friday . So I say be diligent, keep on looking, frequently.

Did they give you any info on waitlist,etc? Hopefully they did

2 Likes

Thanks. Fingers crossed . If not …. Onward to other options.

2 Likes

There is no rhyme or reason. I don’t think timing of honors essay had anything to do with merit decision. My son submitted full app in Sept. still no merit. I’m so dizzy and I little nauseous from trying to figure out the logic.

We all know… What will be… will be…

2 Likes

Ok well there goes our theory on early app=$$$ (I do remember Pitt admissions stressing to get apps in early to ensure the best merit when we visited over the summer.) Have you called? Almost sounds like it could be an oversight or mistake in your case. No rhyme or reason is right!

My out of state D only received $5000 annually in merit aid from Pitt, but got $2000 annually from Ohio State. You would think Pitt would offer more to OOS students? Surprised since OSU is more highly ranked. Hard to justify going to PItt at this point.

3 Likes

I second this theory! Maybe some mistake? All the more now, Ezuckie, he has honors in his pocket.

1 Like