Pitt Merit Aid thread - Class of 2027

Have to ask D to check again. We too got an email over the weekend, but there was no update. So, kinda left it there.

2 Likes

OOS for all. CS major.
UMN =$25/yr;
OSU=$16.5/yr;
UMD=$10/yr (+Honors College);
Pitt=$0

Guess we know where we stand w/Pitt.

5 Likes

Keep on checking that emailā€¦. And yes, he will reach out re: merit

2 Likes

I donā€™t want to be cynical but getting into Honors doesnā€™t cost Pitt a thing. I think they use it as an enrollment enticement many times. Merit now-a-days is random.
Iā€™ve seen top students not get either.

2 Likes

D23 got into the Honors program! Excited! We are OOS from VA.

5 Likes

Reposting in this forum - does anyone know where to find honors college admit stats ?(number applied and number offered, maybe from last year?)

2 Likes

600 admitted is from the Pitt Honors page.
have no clue how many applied.

2 Likes

Thanks

Pittā€™s website reports there were approximately 7,000 applicants to the Honors College ā€œin the most recent yearā€ ā€“ which I presume means last year.

2 Likes

Oh and my D got into honors at OSU, but havenā€™t heard yet about honors for PItt.

1 Like

Pitt honors decisions were released yesterday.

1 Like

Yes. Some schools have algorithms to predict who will accept what type of offer.

UMD is the same. You can get honors and no merit and get merit but no honors.

1 Like

Saw that; and 600 admitted. I wonder if that means 600 admitted/matriculated, or 600 of the ? Offered HC then attended Pitt?

2 Likes

My OOS son was accepted to honors! His first honors acceptance. Was denied honors at Purdue and Va Tech. This might move Pitt back up the list.

Edit to add: he was also accepted to honors at OSU (Ohio State) but he already declined their offer.

3 Likes

Which state are you from. We too did not get VaTech Honors.

Hello, can anyone share the 2023-2024 ā€œbillableā€ costs (tuition/fees/room/board) for an OOS first year in Dietrich arts and sciences? But not including books and transportation? The website is still showing 2022-2023. Weā€™re trying to compare with other schools.

Pitt does not set the final tuition prices until summer. This is because they have to wait for the PA legislature to set their funding and that usually happens in July. Itā€™s a big deal every year though now that dems are controlling things it should go quicker. Last year there was a republican faction that wanted to give no funding to Pitt because the med school is doing stem cell research. Welcome to dealing with a state school.

4 Likes

From Pittā€™s email of estimated costs for 23-24:
Tuition & Fees
$21,722
Housing & Meals
$13,978
Total Estimated Direct Costs $35,700

ohhh, you want OOS. Iā€™m sorry, donā€™t have those.
Iā€™ll leave this here for posterityā€™s sake.

This is what I have down but not sure where I got it from or if itā€™s updated. But should be close.

OOS Tuition & fees $36,000

Room & Board $13,978

Total=$49,978

Ok so I just opened our financial aid offer again just to double check our numbers and this was added since I last looked:

Cathedral Achievement Scholarship
Fall $2500
Spring $2500

So I guess this is the merit weā€™ve been hoping/waiting for? This brings COA to $28,464 (not including student loans because those have to be paid back) which is much closer to budget goals so Pitt is a bit more realistic today than it was yesterday, although the honors waitlist could be a game-changer.

The scholarship letter is NOT in the document center as of this morning so check your financial aid letter and you might see a scholarship there if you havenā€™t received one yet.

Congrats to all those receiving honors invitations!

3 Likes