Please Chance Me!!

<p>Hello All, I am a super lethargic student and have made a complete mess of high school.
I was wondering if it was still possible for me to at least get into Purdue with my horrible record.
(This is very depressing)
Well here goes nothing:</p>

<p>School: fairly competitive public high school in CT</p>

<p>Ethnicity: Asian (Indian)</p>

<p>Applying for Liberal Arts (Philosophy)</p>

<p>GPA: 2.21 (UW); weighted system is out of 20 (dont know mine its weird system)
SAT: 1730
CR:580 M:560 W:590</p>

<p>SAT 2
MATH 2: 580</p>

<p>AP Calc AB: Fail, i dont know what i got on AP test (never got anything from collegeboard)</p>

<p>AP's Taking now:
AP Calc BC
AP Physics C</p>

<p>EC's
Varsity Track and Field 9-12
Symphony Orchestra 11, Assistant Concertmaster 12
GB Youth Orchestras, 9-12 (Concertmaster 11)
Volunteered at Yale New Haven Hospital ~270 hours, was on the leader council past summer </p>

<p>Essay: Pretty good, talked about plan for redoing high school ,and then admitting i cant change the past, but i can definitely change my future; mentioned being born in Lafayette and how I want to return to where it all began for me</p>

<p>Rec's:
Physics teacher wrote about my determination to take ap physics
Volunteer Coordinator gave me a great rec, highlighting my helpfulness and people skills</p>

<p>Hooks: dont think this counts, but my dad was a postdoctorate research fellow for dr. brown, who was one of Purdue's few nobel prize winners</p>

<p>just dont know....</p>

<p>ok i see like 34 views, but not one of u replied at all…are u doubting the validity of this post? im not lying everything stated here is the truth…please i need to know if i could get into one of my dream universities</p>

<p>Dude, chill out. The fact that you are frustrated makes it seem like we shouldn’t help.</p>

<p>The fact is I viewed this before and I didn’t know whether you would get in or not. So I didn’t reply. Also, even if we say what we think, it doesn’t mean your dream will come true or not.</p>

<p>If you want my opinion then here:
You’re gpa is on the low side. (I don’t know your trend though.)
SAT is good.
The fact that you don’t have an AP score from collegeboard means that they probably won’t put that into consideration when looking at you.
Track and volunteering is great.
Your essay sounds like it didn’t match the prompt they asked for. (It could just be the other prompt though.)
Recs are fine.</p>

<p>Basically, you’re low gpa and highish test scores somewhat contradict each other.</p>

<p>hey sorry if i seemed frustrated, i really wasnt , was just a bit perturbed as to why so many viewed and didnt answer</p>

<p>thanks for reviewing either way, gives me a different perspective</p>

<p>yea i seem to be having difficulty with the essay, because i want to write why purdue is so good and tie in that i was born there and grew up there for a year, but idk for which prompt i should</p>

<p>thanks man ur comments are greatly appreciated</p>

<p>So here’s a bit of analysis. </p>

<p>This is the GPA composition of ppl accepted to purdue last year:</p>

<pre><code>* 37% had h.s. GPA of 3.75 and higher

• 24% had h.s. GPA between 3.5 and 3.74
  • 16% had h.s. GPA between 3.25 and 3.49
  • 14% had h.s. GPA between 3.0 and 3.24
  • 8% had h.s. GPA between 2.5 and 2.99
  • 1% had h.s. GPA between 2.0 and 2.49
    </code></pre>

<p>Last year Purdue accepted 21423 people, that means that they accepted around 2142.3 people with a GPA similar to yours. </p>

<p>I would guess that all these people have upward gpa trends and/or have good test scores/ec’s/essays… something that redeems their low GPA and shows the school that their GPA is not a reflection of their future performance. Do you feel that you have a redeeming factor? Do you feel that you communicated that your GPA is not an accurate reflection of who you are? If you were able to do these things than I would say you have a semi-reasonable chance of being accepted.</p>

<p>On to your SAT.</p>

<p>All of your SAT scores are in the middle 50% of accepted students for purdue. I wouldn’t say that this is a redeeming factor however. SAT scores are usually considered a good reflection of your future study habits and your general reasoning ability. While you are on par with the scores of many other students accepted to purdue your GPA is lower than most students. If you had a strong SAT score you would show that while you weren’t the most dedicated student in 9th or 10th grade in 11th grade, or whenever you took the sat you dedicated your self and excelled.</p>

<p>Your ec’s are pretty/really good IMO, as far as your letters of rec go…do they talk about academic growth? I think that is a very important factor in your app.</p>

<p>Overall, I would say you have some chance of being accepted.</p>

<p>Your chance looks slim, but since the major isn’t that competitive, I guess you have a shot.</p>

<ul>
<li>1% had h.s. GPA between 2.0 and 2.49
I thought that means around 214 people are within this range???</li>
</ul>

<p>Lastly, are you OOS? If yes why are you applying to Purdue?Since your major isn’t really looked upon in Purdue, aren’t In-state schools a lot cheaper?( or are you going to change major later?)</p>

<p>you’re right 800…It is 214…n iCrazy, if money is not an issue then whatever…if u get in then cheers! but if u don’t (which is unfortunately possible) don’t be surprised n upset. Just take it as it is, and move on…hopefully u have another school in mind :)</p>

<p>(let me address teh fact that a clasmate of mine attached “icrazy4loko” to my email address, and that im really not in favor of such a volatile substance)</p>

<p>@800ChineseSAT, yea i applied to CLA because I wanted a liberal arts major, and Philosophy intrigues me the most out of any. And even though Philosophy isnt the strongest LA major Purdue has, the LA is really gaining prestige, and its a great department, they definitely have the most referred to english writing formatting guide on the web, and thats saying something seeing as Purdues more of a science/engineering school.
I applied to Purdue because its where i was born, its fits me well, and plus, its a great university where I am far away from home, meet new people, and I can redefine myself.</p>

<p>I dared to apply to Purdue cuz 214 got in with a 2.0-2.49 and I dont think that can be all athletes, as well as my dad did research with one of Purdue’s nobel laureates</p>

<p>and @nne123, unfortunately i have no other school in mind. </p>

<p>anyways thanks to all,
my application is in the “In Committee Review” status
so i will receive the good/bad news sometime in the next week or so…</p>

<p>I really hope you can get in. To be honest everything else is pretty good besides GPA. Good luck.</p>

<p>thanks 800chinesesat, taht means alot. hope to see u on campus coming fall (if i get in lol)</p>

<p>i plan on making good use of my 4 years at west lafayette and bea completely different person (in many senses, all positive of course)</p>

<p>Maybe your overall GPA isn’t that bad. PU recalculates the core GPA which is the average of English, math, lab science, social studies and foreign languages. Let’s say for instance you had bad grades in Music or Visual Arts or classes like that, they would see it but wouldn’t count against you as much.</p>

<p>That’s the fun of college :slight_smile: For some, the first time they feel real responsability on their backs. There’s no way you will leave a university with the same persona you had on your fresman year. College is more than an academic experience; it’s a life experience.</p>

<p>Good luck, fella.</p>

<p>FLASH NEWS</p>

<p>You actually get to be your REAL self now! No need to worry about being a different person so you “fit in” like in high school. </p>

<p>Good luck to you all and hope to see you on campus for the Fall 2011 semester.</p>