Postponed

<p>After applying early September and finally hearing back late December, UW-Madison has postponed a decision on my application. I was expecting outright rejection so I'm taking this as a blessing. I was just wondering what my next step should be? I'm planning on writing a letter to reiterate my passion for UW and how badly I want to go there. Plus, I plan on having it reviewed by trusted peers. However, I was wondering if I just blatantly send the e-mail to the given address on the contact page (<a href="mailto:onwisconsin@admissions.wisc.edu">onwisconsin@admissions.wisc.edu</a>) or if there is a way to personally get in touch with the counselor who reviewed my application? I just feel it would have a bigger impact if the person considering my app actually read the letter. This is all foreign to me so some help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :) </p>

<p>For anyone in a similar situation, here are my stats:
GPA: 3.71 (W) / 3.67 (UW) - my school doesn't typically report unweighted
ACT: 28 with 10 on writing
ECs:
-Softball
-YSL
-Spanish Club
-StingCancer
-Key Club
-EiC of school yearbook (3rd year member)
-Job outside of school
-National Honor Society
(chancing after postponement would also help :) )</p>

<p>Just an FYI: Several years ago, the now former director of admissions stated that around 25% of applicants are postponed.</p>

<p>Also, have you had a chance to read the postponed FAQs?</p>

<p>Yes, I read the FAQs that were on the UW-Madison site but they weren’t all that helpful, maybe it’s because my question is a little more specific. I am aware that I will be reporting mid-year grades and all the other generic things that were addressed but I was just unsure where I could send a letter/e-mail or how I could get through to my specific admissions counselor. </p>

<p>Call UW-Madison admissions on Monday to ask. I have found that the students and regular full time employees who answer the phone are friendly and helpful.</p>

<p>Okay, thank you! :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Are you in state or out of state? I know a kid who’s dumb as a rock (3.5 GPA 23 ACT normal classes) that just got in earlier this week. I’m surprised at your decision. </p>

<p>3.5 and 23 is not dumb as a rock. that was mean. My twin brother has those stats and is actually quite smart when he wants to be. @nickxx your stats may be more accomplished, as are mine (3.86 GPA and 32 with 3 AP’s) but there is no reason to be a jerk. I, for the record, am still awaiting a decision.</p>

<p>@hereford15 I didn’t mean that his scores made him dumb as a rock, I just posted them to give the OP some idea and show that low stats students do get in. I know him personally and he’s one of my friends. He IS dumb as a rock. I also haven’t gotten a decision yet(3.7 GPA 32 ACT). Are you nervous? more than half the kids who applied from my school have gotten in already (no rejections yet) so I’m starting to get nervous. </p>

<p>I’m not too nervous. There’s no reason to be. Assuming that you are a first notification student, you are only guaranteed a decision by January 31. I personally know many higher stat students than I at my own school (4.0 GPA 32 ACT) that have yet to receive a decision. In fact, everyone at my school applying there has yet to receive their decision. Besides academics, I have a few personal reasons that make it important that I go there, but if it doesn’t happen, I’m headed 10 hours west to K-State. @nickxx</p>

<p>The only reason I’m nervous is because I considered UW to be a safety school(73% of Wisco Residents got accepted last year) and I already got rejected from my first choice, Duke(lol). I also applied to USC and Indiana. I won’t find out from USC till around April and I got into Indiana. I don’t expect to get into USC so I’m planning on going to UW. That does ease my nerves though knowing a lot of higher stats students haven’t heard back yet. @hereford15 </p>

<p>When did you apply? What were your essays about? @nickxx‌ </p>

<p>@hereford15 I sent in my app on october 7th but the whole thing wasn’t completed till the 3rd week in october. I wrote my unnoticed essay about my nickname and how it bothers me but I don’t say anything. The “why madison” essay was fairly generic(close, good business school and overall school, campus) as I figured the school was a safety. What about you? </p>

<p>@nickxx I am an in state student. Applied to the School of Education. </p>

<p>My why madison was also pretty generic. My unnoticed essay was about my cerebral palsy and how overcoming challenges with it, including surgery this past October helped me become stronger. @nickxx</p>

<p>I applied the last week in October and heard back from them the first week in November. And I also know tons of people that got in that applied like a day before the deadline. I had a 29 and 4.0+</p>