Presidential II dorm rules /decorations question

So hello freshman parent here with a million silly questions LOL! :)Thanks for answering them. So DD is getting ready to start looking at things she needs for her dorm etc. We looked at some really cute Youtube videos of PV dorms and dorms in general at UA. WOW some people go all out! My question though. UA Housing policy states for PV no 3M hooks, just pushpins and nails. No more than 4 holes! When looking at videos people seem to have A LOT of stuff on their walls including 3M hooks and 3M Velcro poster/frame stickers. I am bit confused as to what the policy is here. Same policy says only tension rods for the window. Some people have window treatments spanning the whole length of the wall. Again very confusing. Any information in general pertaining to what to bring/not to bring is highly appreciated! This freshman parent thanks you! :slight_smile: You guys in this forum are AWESOME!!!

Technically speaking, command or 3M strips are not allowed. However I know many students used them. You just need to be careful that they don’t damage the wall when they are removed. Most RAs and housing officials don’t have the time or desire to check rooms for command strips. They care more about illegal things or fire hazards.

Thanks again @bamagirl18 :slight_smile:

I’ve seen how you can string a fairly long line/cord between 2 nails, and you clip pictures and papers onto it. That works for girls. My S used 2 of his nails to hang a large whiteboard/cork board combo. (And when we moved in, there were probably ten or so nail holes already anyway which we documented, and used)

Yes, tension rods are good (use the SMALL shower stall size, tho - even the adjustable tub size on its shortest setting will be way too wide). Use light-darkening shades (Target is a great source).

You do not need to go all out. Kids are there for 8 months tops (7.25 if you count they are vacating at Christmas for another 4-week break this year). But then again, I had a son…

On Facebook right now the students (alot of them freshmen girls) are trying to sell comforters, headboards, curtains etc. as most of them are moving to apartments next year and the bed size is different, etc. Some of them (or their parents) put ALOT OF MONEY into decorating for a year. Definitely make the room cute but don’t go all out… then again like Aeromom I had sons too.

Thanks @aeromom and @kjcphmom you are very helpful. Thank goodness DD does not want to go all out. Just cute enough, but mainly functional. Your info is a great resource. Us newbie college parents appreciate it :slight_smile:

My DD knew of girls whose parents had a decorator design their rooms or whose Moms were way into Esty. So, yes, some rooms will be stunning. (And to think I went to college and didn’t even coordinate comforter colors with my roommate.) I think your DD is typical. “Cute enough” is the normal. As Aeromom says, many students will need extra-long full or queen bedding for sophomore year off campus housing. Your splurge should be on cute pillow shams that will move to another size bed! At orientation, one of the advisors said, if you have to rent a trailer for your Suburban then you are bringing too much stuff.