Princeton University Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

I can see it on Naviance though, so unless that data is fake, yes it is that high.

3 Likes

She is at one of the best boarding schools in the country.

1 Like

I hope she is happy wherever she ends up.

1 Like

Thanks! I am sure she will be. Sorry to hijack this thread! And good luck to all who are waiting for Ivy day!

2 Likes

Just a tiny point - in todays test optional Ivy League you can have 9/10 kids who went to public school, got a 4.0 but couldn’t crack 1200, and 1/10 kids who has a 1550 and all of a sudden your team stats are in line with the Ivy League standards.

I’m not arguing that athletes aren’t smart (I have two 4 year varsity athletes- 3 sports and 2 sports- both with a 1600). I think that athletes from tippy top boarding schools who make it to D1 schools have below average stats because it’s almost impossible to play a sport at that level and be top of your class at the most rigorous boarding schools. So @AnonMomof2 is reacting to her school’s naviance because at her school the athletes absolutely have below average stats. I have seen the same thing. 100%. D1 athletes have below average stats from my kids’ schools.

1 Like

The college advisors tell even the best academic students that Princeton is a reach. You can also see from Naviance that a number of those with low GPAs and test scores are getting in, and those are clearly hooked students. While I am not a fan of all these athletes being accepted over the best academic students, I doubt that you were misled.

2 Likes

Thank you for providing this. In comparing it to the published school profile, it is amazing to see the impact of hooks. Using the above as an example, the data is from 2019-21 and for Princeton, there was a total of 3 admits - i.e., an avg 1 accept per year - w/o hooks. In the school profile, which covers 2018-22 (five years), there was a total of 19 admits, which comes out to an average of almost 4 admits per year. Obviously this is not only a Princeton thing, but it absolutely demonstrates the lift.
I wish other high schools, including ‘elite’ high schools - like University High School or Branson, be transparent in this as it is a disservice to the students and the families not to have this complete information. The overall numbers without context only increase the anxiety and stress as it gives, in ways, a false sense of hope and opportunity.

4 Likes

Agree 100%.

1 Like

I wish I had read this last year. We “wasted” the EA on Princeton, but I think a better strategy would have been to use it on a school in the T10-20 range. Live and learn!

3 Likes

Can confirm. I’ve been a Princeton Alumni School Committee Chair for a small region for several years, and I’m just one of hundreds of alums worldwide who volunteer for this. Princeton’s alumni & giving networks are more developed and coordinates than most anyone knows! That said, in my region we’ve still struggled to attract enough interviewers, despite the fact that it’s easier to conduct them now that virtual is an option.

2 Likes

I feel your frustration. I think you have to truly believe that the school is your dream school, favorite over all others, not equal to any other, etc, for it to not feel this way. My son was deferred, but he was definitely in love with the school and ready to give up all other opportunities where he could have had a much better chance to have been admitted to a great school and been done. But, if he hadn’t tried we would always have wondered if it might have made a difference.
Also, they might end up somewhere else that in the long run they are happier than they would’ve been had they gotten their original wish.
Oldest child did ED at one school but was rejected, ended up with multiple great options she wasn’t expecting and chose an equally great school with an incredible scholarship and has lived happily ever after!

3 Likes

My son is a first year, and we attended our first Pre-Rade in September, and I was in awe of the amount of alumni that were there and how they interacted with the kids! Was wonderful to see.

How many of deffered people got in??Do we have some good news here??

1 Like

My son did. He was very happy. Deferred REA. Accepted JHU, rice, Williams, Amherst CMU. rejected MIT Harvard Yale

1 Like

Princeton is outlier, it seems, for HW admissions rates for unhooked applicants. The same period saw 12/59 acceptances at Yale among students with 3.8 or higher GPAs (roughly top 20 percent of the class): just over 20 percent. Some of the Ivies had similar numbers for that top tier of students.